The Official Premiership Thread 06/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jimmmm said:
Each to their own, I & over 6,000 others who have been to support FC UNITED since glazer tookover think its the best way, & also, don't believe too much about Old Traffords new record attendances, I know for certain several matches last season didn't reach capacity of 68,000, thousands of tickets had to be given away to local schools, & other outlets, glazer couldn't have empty seats at OT in his first year in charge now could he. Even though I and several thousand other ex members cancelled our subscription most of us recieved e-mails asking if we would like to purchase season tickets for this season, in the pre glazer days there was a waiting list as long as your arm to get them.
If, & I know its a big if, glazer could be forced out through more & more fans boycotting the club, merchandise, & matches, yes it would mean a brief spell of turmoil, maybe even a Leeds United scenario, but believe me, to lifelong REDS it would be worth it, glazer bought the body but he'll never own the soul!

I must say this little discussion has been something of an enlightenment to me, i didn't know the glazer takeover had such a big impact on certain fans. I remember all the protestors with their balaclavers on when he first took over but i didn't know it had continued this far.

therefore i have to ask the question, do you still like seeing the current United team win and are the feelings the same when they score a goal and win matches?

jimmmm said:
maybe even a Leeds United scenario

that would be terrible if that happened. I spend half the year up in the leeds and i can see elland road from my bedroom window, it's really sad watching Leeds play now because they're a massive club and deserve to be in the Premiership. These days they can only fill half the ground. They used to have a fabulous team.

1stepcloser said:

that would be terrible if that happened. I spend half the year up in the leeds and i can see elland road from my bedroom window, it's really sad watching Leeds play now because they're a massive club and deserve to be in the Premiership. These days they can only fill half the ground. They used to have a fabulous team.

Yeah leeds used to be challanging in europe , hot contenders for the prem and excellent young team..

Where did it all go wrong.....

I'm quite surprised (and to be honest, more than a little pleased in a childish sort of way) that Leeds aren't back up, because in the two or three seasons they've been down in the second division they've actually spent quite a lot of money on what looks to be a solid outfit for this division.

If you want a fall from grace look at Nottingham Forest. They're the only former European Cup winners to be playing in the third tier of their league and their last result was a 4-0 defeat at home in front of the Sky cameras to the mighty Scunthorpe United. They're still top of their league if I'm not wrong though.

I'm an Ipswich fan, and I don't foresee us back in the Premier League within the next four or five years.

1stepcloser said:
therefore i have to ask the question, do you still like seeing the current United team win and are the feelings the same when they score a goal and win matches? [/B]

Initially, last season it did seem strange not going to any of the matches, but I suppose going over to watch FC United now & again compensates for that in some small way, Yes I'll always want the TEAM to do well, but sometimes I wonder, if they were to have a couple of bad seasons how many of the "Johnny Come Lately" fans would keep going to OT, & if they were to dissappear, with reduced revenue from falling attendances, no place in Europe, glazers business plan could fall to pieces, stranger things have happened.

1stepcloser said:

that would be terrible if that happened.

Again there are 2 sides to that argument, & I'm not going to be so presumptuous as to assume I'm definetly in the right, but with me, as with any other of the fans who've turned their back on glazer, & it is glazer we've turned our backs on, not UNITED, its the principle of the issue.
I'm not saying either, that all the fans still going to OT are wrong to do so, but again I wonder if that scenario was to happen, just how many of the 76,000 would still go to watch a league game between United and say Barnsley, or Southend. Because if glazer wasn't there I would definetly be back at OT, no matter what league status, or opposition, I've supported United in the second tier of English football before, & I'd certainly do it again.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I'm quite surprised (and to be honest, more than a little pleased in a childish sort of way) that Leeds aren't back up, because in the two or three seasons they've been down in the second division they've actually spent quite a lot of money on what looks to be a solid outfit for this division.

If you want a fall from grace look at Nottingham Forest. They're the only former European Cup winners to be playing in the third tier of their league and their last result was a 4-0 defeat at home in front of the Sky cameras to the mighty Scunthorpe United. They're still top of their league if I'm not wrong though.

I'm an Ipswich fan, and I don't foresee us back in the Premier League within the next four or five years.

I'm actually one of those who thinks a team like Ipswich should be the Premiership, along with the likes of Leeds and Forest. They're bigger than Wigan, Reading, Watford and Sheffield United. And they're bigger than the likes of Birmingham City and West Bromwich Albion (but that could be because i'm slightly biased against those two :wink: ).

Remember when Manchester City went down to Division 2? that was quite a fall from grace too but it gives hope to Forest fans because City are back and established in the Premiership once again.

jimmmm said:

Initially, last season it did seem strange not going to any of the matches, but I suppose going over to watch FC United now & again compensates for that in some small way, Yes I'll always want the TEAM to do well, but sometimes I wonder, if they were to have a couple of bad seasons how many of the "Johnny Come Lately" fans would keep going to OT, & if they were to dissappear, with reduced revenue from falling attendances, no place in Europe, glazers business plan could fall to pieces, stranger things have happened.

I think it could be fair to argue that the last couple of seasons haven't been particularly successful for a club of Uniteds stature. Chelsea have won the league reasonably comfortably for the last couple of years. Last year united didn't even get past the group stage of the champions league, i don't think they made it to the quarter finals the year before that (can't remember exactly). And a Carling cup victory probably wasn't the piece of silverware that Fergie was after. Yet the fans keep filling the stadium up. And i don't really forsee any "really" bad seasons, ie. finishing outide of europe, although if that did happen it would be disastrous for them.

Are united in that much financial turnmoil? because they paid 14m for Carrick, were willing to spend whatever the price on Owen Hargreaves (and could still do so in january) and a few days ago in the news it was reported that they tried to sign Fernando Torres again over the summer, god knows how much he would have cost.

I think the what United need now is a change of manager perhaps (and your not getting your hands on Martin O'Neill!).

1stepcloser said:

i don't really forsee any "really" bad seasons, ie. finishing outide of europe, although if that did happen it would be disastrous for them.

Are united in that much financial turnmoil? because they paid 14m for Carrick, were willing to spend whatever the price on Owen Hargreaves (and could still do so in january) and a few days ago in the news it was reported that they tried to sign Fernando Torres again over the summer, god knows how much he would have cost.

I think the what United need now is a change of manager perhaps (and your not getting your hands on Martin O'Neill!).

To take you up on the first point(probably showing my age off too much here) throughout most of the '70's, & '80's United were by and large an underachieving disaster zone, relegated in '73/'74, & just 3 FA cups throughout those decades, many seasons were over pretty much as soon as they'd begun, many seasons with no European football at all, yes times have changed and with 4 teams qualifying for C/L, it looks as though it would be almost impossible for Utd not to qualify, many fans probably thought they'd never be relegated so soon after winning the Euro. Cup in '68. With teams like your own, Villa, Spurs, & Everton showing signs of improvement its not impossible to think Utd might miss out on C/L sometime.
Second point, yes we bought Carrick, we recieved money for RUUD, & Obi Mikel, pretty much cancelled each other out, the other "targets" in my opinion never really were that. Utd knew Hargreaves was under contract, & after losing Ballack Bayern were always unlikely to let him go, Senna virtually had his bags packed and was ready to walk to OT, mysteriously the deal fell through, in my opinion it was never going to happen. Most of the others were just paper talk, trying to create news in the close season, because if nothing else Utd are good for selling papers.
Torres, might happen in the future, but, unlike the previous points, I can say this without the benefit of hindsight, if he ever comes to OT one major name will leave, likliest candidates there, Ronaldo, Rooney, or possibly Ferdinand, as they're the ones who'd fetch the highest price.
Third point, probably the biggest talking point among all United fans just now, The Manager, there's been talk for some time now among match going UTD fans about SAF, & should he stay or go,personally I think he should be able to choose when he wants to go, he's won more trophies than all previous managers put together, he's responsible for virtually everything UNITED are now, without the success he brought to the club, the merchandising side of the "business" would never in a million years be anything like as successful as it is, it was Fergie who initiated the overhauling of the youth, & scouting systems, just look at the names who've come through in the last decade & a half, even down to continually having the pitch relaid, one of the first things he actually had done, when he came to OT the playing surface was dreadful. Buts its not just all he's done, seriously think about it, what top class manager is going to want to follow in his footsteps, with no real clout in the transfer market, they'd be on a hiding to nothing, & with an owner who knows zilch about football would probably be out on their ear before ever having a chance to succeed. Yes as I've stated before you were very lucky to get MO'N, if anyone could have followed in his footsteps I think he's the one.

yertle-the-turtle said:

The only reason I'm glad to see those knuclke scraping, window lickers still in the championship, is because of the knobheads who follow them, they've had some wonderful football teams, most recently O'Learys C/L semi finalists, they did play some wonderful football, & the Wilkinson side who pipped Utd to the last League Championship, before the Premiership.
But the fans, yeah most sides have rivalries, us with the scousers, city, etc,. but the filth & bile, & pure unadulterated hatred that spews forth from them towards United makes sick to the pit of my stomach, The constant Munich chanting, the death threats to any ex Leeds player who moves to United, Jordan, & McQueen got it in the '70's, ERIC, in the'90's, now Ferdinand, & Smithy, there's always room for rivalry but they just take it all too far, funny thing, I know a couple of season ticket holders at Helland road, both have respectable jobs, one's a solicitor, but mention United, & the veins start bulging in his neck, steam comes out his ears, what the hell is their problem.

Well it's not like United are absolute angels in the stands either.

Jens Lehmann recently got taunted about being a Nazi and gassing Jews and doing odd things to the corpses.

Every support, as Irvine Welsh once put it, has its arseholes.

Although to be fair more of them seem to congregate around Leeds United. Or Millwall.

jimmmm said:

With teams like your own, Villa, Spurs, & Everton showing signs of improvement its not impossible to think Utd might miss out on C/L sometime.

It's interesting your mention this because since Villa's improvement of late and Spur's missed CL opportunity last year i have been thinking about which of the 'big four' would have to give up its CL place. I think only United and Chelsea are the dead certs for a top 4 finish. Liverpool could be the team this year or perhaps next year being the ones who give up their CL place as i don't think Benitez is doing himself any favours changing the team around each match. And for any team wishing to mount a serious title challenge, losing 3 of their first 6 or 7 games is just embarrassing. The top four teams need to be able to win away from home and Liverpool just haven't looked like doing it yet.

I think United just need a holding midfielder and another top striker and they will be fine.

jimmmm said:

Yes as I've stated before you were very lucky to get MO'N, if anyone could have followed in his footsteps I think he's the one.

Sadly i think at some point soon he will eventually take over at United as much as it pains me to say. Villa are a big club and he could go on to do great things with us but United are a massive club and a manager with the talent he has deserves to manage a massive club. I'm not sure if he's signed this supposed 6 year deal with us yet but if he does then it will take a lot of money to buy him out of it.

Originally posted by 1stepcloser [/i
Sadly i think at some point soon he will eventually take over at United as much as it pains me to say. Villa are a big club and he could go on to do great things with us but United are a massive club and a manager with the talent he has deserves to manage a massive club. I'm not sure if he's signed this supposed 6 year deal with us yet but if he does then it will take a lot of money to buy him out of it. [/B]

I'm not so sure he'd rush at the chance to manage United, as I said previously, whoever takes over when SAF decides to leave, IMO at least, is on a hiding to nothing, whereas at Villa, MO'N is in a position to build something, especially if Lerner provides him with funds, I think that prospect alone would be enough to keep him at Villa.The chance to take them back to the top is something I'm sure is one of the main reasons he took the job in the first place.
Recent history isn't great, but Villa are definetly one of Englands biggest teams, with such a rich tradition, & if O'Niell can bring back the glory days, I don't think it would be too long before Lerner would have to invest in either a new stadium, or increase the capacity at Villa, I remember their first game back in the top flight back in the mid-seventies well over 50,000 attended, think they got beat by Leeds, if memory serves me well, but with a little success Villa could easily command those sort of attendances again.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Well it's not like United are absolute angels in the stands either.

Jens Lehmann recently got taunted about being a Nazi and gassing Jews and doing odd things to the corpses.

Every support, as Irvine Welsh once put it, has its arseholes.

Although to be fair more of them seem to congregate around Leeds United. Or Millwall.

Yeah, United have their share of knobheads in the stands, I'm not doubting those chants were sung, but I never heard them, either in the past when I've been to an arse-UNITED game, or on telly, so I would imagine its only by a few dickheads who probably know little or nothing of Uniteds history, let alone football in general, I have heard the Wenger-paedophile chant, that is horrible, no excusing that. But the point I was making about Leeds fans is virtually the whole ground joyously chant Munich songs, arms held out, childishly mimicking planes, old or young, male, or female they all join in, plus, I once made the mistake, many years ago of attending a leeds-UNITED match at helland rd, Jesus, anything in Red was game for a good hiding, I actually saw a middle aged woman take a punch in the face by a chimp in a leeds shirt, I was luckily on my coach at the time, but its a regular event in that shithole for United fans, men, women, & children, it doesn't matter to those OIKS, if their MUFC hit them.

Just been over to the RED ISSUE website, seems Wigan supremo isn't a big fan of sven "the STUD" eriksson, read on,

Meanwhile Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has blamed Sven Goran Eriksson for Rooney's poor form. From the Sun:
“That manager we had absolutely killed him. You just hope his enthusiasm hasn’t been killed by that idiot.
“I watched the Portugal game in the World Cup and felt so sorry for him. That bugger played him up front on his own and he so wanted to do well but was desperate.
“He was fighting like hell for the ball but they had two men on him and that was it, game over.

“Then he got sent off but that was because he was fighting and running so much.
“Rooney was pulling his guts out for England but the previous manager killed him stone dead. I just felt so very sorry for him.”

I suppose eriksson wouldn't be in the running for the managers job at Wigan, if they ever decide to part company with Mr.Jewell, then.

jimmmm said:

I'm not so sure he'd rush at the chance to manage United, as I said previously, whoever takes over when SAF decides to leave, IMO at least, is on a hiding to nothing, whereas at Villa, MO'N is in a position to build something, especially if Lerner provides him with funds, I think that prospect alone would be enough to keep him at Villa.The chance to take them back to the top is something I'm sure is one of the main reasons he took the job in the first place.
Recent history isn't great, but Villa are definetly one of Englands biggest teams, with such a rich tradition, & if O'Niell can bring back the glory days, I don't think it would be too long before Lerner would have to invest in either a new stadium, or increase the capacity at Villa, I remember their first game back in the top flight back in the mid-seventies well over 50,000 attended, think they got beat by Leeds, if memory serves me well, but with a little success Villa could easily command those sort of attendances again.

Well the capacity at Villa Park is 42,000 but Lerner wants to fill in the corners so that would take it up to 55,000 i think. If anyone can bring back the glory days it is O'Neill but i have a feeling that he'll go to a truly big club in the future some time even if he does build a legacy at Villa. He's 54 now and not getting any younger. He even said this summer that he would have taken the England managers job had the bufoons at the FA offered it him. Englands loss, villa's gain i say to that. I'm not complaining obviously but to not even offer the job to the most talented manager in Britain is something i still can't get my head round.

Anyway, if Villa aren't in the Champions League in 3-5 seasons then i don't think we'll ever be in it and the monopoly of the 'big four' will continue.

jimmmm said:

I suppose eriksson wouldn't be in the running for the managers job at Wigan, if they ever decide to part company with Mr.Jewell, then.

I doubt he would be in the running for it. I still blame him for what happened at the World Cup. Some of my mates blame the players but i put it down to him. Only taking four strikers to the world cup. Playing a small, deep lying striker like rooney on his own up front. No thanks, Sven.

England need a performance tonight but the result comes 1st, Rooney needs to start playing too.

Total crap. Hardly a ball played forward all night. Why play a new formation away against one of the best teams in the group? Totally lacked any creativity or imagination.

Getting very fed up of this type of England performance now.

Ale Ale!!!!
We outplayed England tonight in every aspect!!! It should have been more than 2-0 for us...
man is this a sweeet night :)

Bring back sven ...... He sucked but at least we got the results.

lol @ you guys wanting Sven back now after hating him for years.

did i mention that denmark won 4-0 tonight? :drool:

Aardvark747 said:
Tonight was shocking. And as for Robbo's gaff......:mad:

Wasnt his fault really , bad tuf/bounce.

Without Paul tonight the result would of been a lot worse. Lets not make paul a scapegoat for another terrible england display.

Just a dreadful performance. Especially from the midfield.

It seems lampard cant play unless he has makalele behind him. and he has a "law of averages" kind of attitude to shooting, if he hits a certain amount of crap shots, at least one will go in.

If carrick is worth 14m then i'm going to support scotland. He just does nothing of note everytime i watch him.

Coatia deserved to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom