The OFFICIAL Pablo Honey Thread! It HAD to happen!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lmao:

Oh my God... look what I started here!!!

I've only heard Creep and Stop Whispering which are both awesome! But this will most likely be the last one I get, only cos it seems to be the least preferred. :hmm:

might be the weakest debut by a great band that I can think of. shows virtually nothing of the genius that would follow.

there's only, what, like 3 great songs on here? I love Lurgee, but even the good stuff is rather generic.

How's My Driving deserves a thread more than this recording.

Their second best album and I think it's amazing. people unjustly turned their back on this album because it was the cool thing to do after Radiohead turned their back on Creep. No offense to anyone here who is a Radiohead fan but here's my opinion:

I was a big Radiohead fan durring Pablo Honey and The Bends. O.K. Computer was great but I wasn't as adoring of that album as their first two. Friends of mine who also loved them felt the same way. Now when Kid A came out I had already been listening to ambient and electronic music while my friends weren't. I found Kid A to be avaerage as far as what it seemed to be going for. Strangely though many of my friends claimed Kid A to be their favorite Radiohead album and praised it for it's "experimental" asspect. Funny. I'm gonna offend people here even though I don't mean to but I honestly belive that alot of Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail fans are fans because it convinces them that they don't follow the mainstreme. Pablo Honey and The Bends became cliches to them and were radio and listener freindly. I believe that alot of people like the idea of liking the post O.K. Computer material more because it makes them feel as if they are true fans and in some perverse way makes them seem "cooler" than the fan who likes the "freindliness" of the older material. Ouch. I know that's gonna make alot of people mad. Anyways I'm not trying to tell people why they like any such thing but to me it seems that the prasie for the newer Radiohead material has more to do with it being Radiohead than the actual material itself.

Hallucination said:

I'm gonna offend people here even though I don't mean to but I honestly belive that alot of Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail fans are fans because it convinces them that they don't follow the mainstreme. Pablo Honey and The Bends became cliches to them and were radio and listener freindly. I believe that alot of people like the idea of liking the post O.K. Computer material more because it makes them feel as if they are true fans and in some perverse way makes them seem "cooler" than the fan who likes the "freindliness" of the older material. Ouch. I know that's gonna make alot of people mad. Anyways I'm not trying to tell people why they like any such thing but to me it seems that the prasie for the newer Radiohead material has more to do with it being Radiohead than the actual material itself.

Well... there IS that attitude of going where your artistic instincts take you and not giving a fuck about album sales or popularity, that is very attractive about Radiohead. Unlike a certain other band.. *cough* That said, I absolutely love Kid A for the music! NOT for the indie appeal. Of course, initially I did have a WTF moment with the Kid A samples I heard online and only bought the cd recently. And The Bends is still my favorite album! Guess I can appreciate both sides of this band... at least so far..lol. But I can't speak for other fans here.

Hallucination said:
Their second best album and I think it's amazing. people unjustly turned their back on this album because it was the cool thing to do after Radiohead turned their back on Creep. No offense to anyone here who is a Radiohead fan but here's my opinion:

I was a big Radiohead fan durring Pablo Honey and The Bends. O.K. Computer was great but I wasn't as adoring of that album as their first two. Friends of mine who also loved them felt the same way. Now when Kid A came out I had already been listening to ambient and electronic music while my friends weren't. I found Kid A to be avaerage as far as what it seemed to be going for. Strangely though many of my friends claimed Kid A to be their favorite Radiohead album and praised it for it's "experimental" asspect. Funny. I'm gonna offend people here even though I don't mean to but I honestly belive that alot of Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail fans are fans because it convinces them that they don't follow the mainstreme. Pablo Honey and The Bends became cliches to them and were radio and listener freindly. I believe that alot of people like the idea of liking the post O.K. Computer material more because it makes them feel as if they are true fans and in some perverse way makes them seem "cooler" than the fan who likes the "freindliness" of the older material. Ouch. I know that's gonna make alot of people mad. Anyways I'm not trying to tell people why they like any such thing but to me it seems that the prasie for the newer Radiohead material has more to do with it being Radiohead than the actual material itself.

No. I love OKC/Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTT because it's just great music. It takes me to another world. It is brilliant.

Hey Zoot...serious question...Kid A...is it better than Achtung? :wink:

No doubt I appreaciate a band making music they want rather than what the fans want. When you stop doing music for yourself and start doing it for others it becomes stale and soulless. I'll always buy a new Radiohead album the day it's released. They're too talented to not give them a chance every time. And namkcuR if you don't mind I'll answer that question.

Q: Is Kid A better than Achtung Baby?
A: HELL NO!!!!!!:wink:

namkcuR said:

Hey Zoot...serious question...Kid A...is it better than Achtung? :wink:

:scream:

Please ask me this in a couple of weeks or a month.. not now. :wink: The thing is I'm high on Kid A right now and a bit bored of Achtung. But no way is anything going to overtake Achtung Baby in my mind!

Kid A is barely (maybe not even) better than the Bends. No way is it better than Achtung. :|

Se7en said:
glad to see yesterday i woke up sucking a lemon has returned.
i wasn't here the first time around, so i'm definitely appreciating.

:heart: thinking about you & lurgee :heart:

Zootlesque said:
The thing is I'm [...] a bit bored of Achtung.

:ohmy:

Next thing you know, I'll be claiming that Lovetown's sets were weak. :wink:

Axver said:

:ohmy:

Next thing you know, I'll be claiming that Lovetown's sets were weak. :wink:

You're right... they ARE weak... compared to the ZOO. :wink:

In Aardvark747's words...

Achtung Baby still rocks my ass!!! :rockon:

it a better album than KidA in my opinion - obviously, I have a deep-seated hatred of KidA, but live versions of You and Blow Out are both very good, far better than the album versions. Despite that, I understand how people can see it as a one-song album.

anyone can play guitar.
ripcord.
stop whispering.

3 of my favorite radiohead songs right there. i don't like experimental shit. which makes no sense since i like kid a almost as much as pablo honey. but whatever.

Hallucination said:

Why make up a big conspiracy of why people like Kid A just because you don't? Just say you don't like it and be done with it.

Pablo Honey is a good album, just not comparable to The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A, Hail to the Thief and parts of Amnesiac.

I still haven't bought Pablo Honey but have heard 'You', 'Anyone Can Play Guitar', 'Thinking About You' and 'Stop Whispering' and think they are fantastic! I was really worried I'd fall into a trap of thinking 'Oh it's shit' just because it wasn't like their later albums. I can't wait to get a copy, it'll be a great change from their more recent material!

lazarus said:

How's My Driving deserves a thread more than this recording.

LOLZ

what about the my iron lung ep? or corn lag? actually, all of those are better than pablo honey. okay, maybe not corn lag.

it does amuse me that there is a thread for every radiohead album except the one widely (rightly) considered to be their best . . .

bsp77 said:

Why make up a big conspiracy of why people like Kid A just because you don't? Just say you don't like it and be done with it.

Pablo Honey is a good album, just not comparable to The Bends, Ok Computer, Kid A, Hail to the Thief and parts of Amnesiac.

I don't make this shit up, I see it. I see it when a person tells me Kid A is Radioheads best album and they have no reasoning for it other than it was a band trying to do somthing experimental. Bullshit. I've had this conversation in person with people before and it baffles me as to how the can claim Kid A as their favorite and then say shit like "well I don't know the names of the songs but....." Blah, blah, blah. I'm not saying everyone is like that but I can gaurentee there are people out there who . And no I won't just say I don't like it and be done with it. That's boring. I'll say what I think and you can choose to read it and respond or not.:wink:

Hallucination said:

I don't make this shit up, I see it. I see it when a person tells me Kid A is Radioheads best album and they have no reasoning for it other than it was a band trying to do somthing experimental. Bullshit. I've had this conversation in person with people before and it baffles me as to how the can claim Kid A as their favorite and then say shit like "well I don't know the names of the songs but....." Blah, blah, blah. I'm not saying everyone is like that but I can gaurentee there are people out there who . And no I won't just say I don't like it and be done with it. That's boring. I'll say what I think and you can choose to read it and respond or not.:wink:

You know I agree with much of what you say here, and it baffles me that someone could have Kid A as their favorite, because it's so alienating and impersonal.

But then I remember how you said you prefer Pablo Honey to OK Computer and every other RH album except The Bends and know you haven't the slightest clue of what you're talking about.

lazarus said:

You know I agree with much of what you say here, and it baffles me that someone could have Kid A as their favorite, because it's so alienating and impersonal.

But then I remember how you said you prefer Pablo Honey to OK Computer and every other RH album except The Bends and know you haven't the slightest clue of what you're talking about.

Yeah I know. As a Radiohead fan from the begining I'm completely clueless. I'm a total idiot based on my album prefrence.

Hallucination said:

I am sure there are some people out there like that, but I also believe that a lot of people love it simply because they think it is great. Your comment just seemed like an overgeneralization. Because I love it and certainly don't care about what is the popular view. But I also believe Ok Computer and The Bends are better so I guess that wasn't directed at me anyway.

Bollow - in what universe is Pablo Honey widely considered their best? You are maybe the second person that I have ever heard say that. Ok Computer is considered their best overall, followed by The Bends and Kid A, look at almost any poll taken in the last 5 years. But I do think Pablo Honey is underrated.

bsp77 said:

I am sure there are some people out there like that, but I also believe that a lot of people love it simply because they think it is great. Your comment just seemed like an overgeneralization. Because I love it and certainly don't care about what is the popular view. But I also believe Ok Computer and The Bends are better so I guess that wasn't directed at me anyway.

Nothing was directed at anyone in paticular. I just posted my opinion based on my experience with people in the real world. Not this fake internet world.:laugh:

Hallucination said:

I can't help but agree, to be fair. I always imagine a situation where the band are sat round a table and said something along the lines of: "let's just make a record of random synthesised sound clips and see if people will like it because it's us". At least U2 had the decency to change the band's name when they tried that trick.

Speaking as a child of the 90's, I find it interesting how Pablo Honey and Radiohead were emerging just as Nirvana was on its way out. In my mind, Thom Yorke was clearly influenced by Kurt Cobain on most of the songs on PH. There's a similar rawness of the band's sound, and Thom's voice at times shares a real Cobain resonance, especially on songs like Prove Yourself and Creep.

It amazes me that just one album later, they would completely have their own sound...the speed of their evolution is impressive and gutsy. That's what I like about Pablo Honey--the fact that you can clearly see Radiohead's influences, and chart how they quickly leave them in their dust as they shoot for the moon.

Hallucination said:

Yeah I know. As a Radiohead fan from the begining I'm completely clueless. I'm a total idiot based on my album prefrence.

If someone was a U2 fan from the beginning, preferring Boy to Achtung Baby & The Joshua Tree, I'd be disregarding their opinion on that basis as well.

But hey, if you want to live in the past, that's your privilege.

lazarus said:

If someone was a U2 fan from the beginning, preferring Boy to Achtung Baby & The Joshua Tree, I'd be disregarding their opinion on that basis as well.

But hey, if you want to live in the past, that's your privilege.

That's nice to know that you will disregard anyone's opinion if it doesn't reflect your own personal opinion. Very cool. Jackass.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom