The Official NFL Thread, Part Duex... No TO or Brady Bashing Allowed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFC has been the dominant conference throughout the 21st century.
Last year's power ranking heading into the playoffs had Pitt, NE and Indy as the top 3 teams in the NFL.
This year, its likely that when the playoffs start, the top 4 or 5 power ranked teams will all be AFC teams, Indy, Denver, Pitt, SD, and possibly NE or Jax could all be higher ranked than any NFC team, Seattle or Carolina likely being the 1 seed there.
The fact that the Bears have a legit shot at a playoff bye, and possibly the #1 overall NFC seed tells you something.

yes but even in the afc, one team has set it's self apart from the rest of the pack.

when you remove indy from the discussion, the afc looks very much like the nfc. denver, pittsburgh, san diego, new england, jacksonville, cincinatti... all of these teams have clear issues... what happens if pittsburgh gets into a close game and they need big ben to throw the ball? can new england overcome their injuries? can denver beat indianapolis? which san diego team shows up, and will marty schottenheimer blow it again? can jacksonville score in a big game? can cincinatti win a game against a team that doesn't suck?

Once again, the Redskins find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of certain victory :banghead:

I like the Redskins too, always have. I also root for the Vikings and 49ers but I don't really hate any team but Dallas, though I don't like the Pats or Broncos. I've been a Colts fan since I was a kid and the Colts had Bert Jones at QB. My brother and I have suffered a lot, please do not begrudge us any success or happiness that we may get.

U2Kitten said:
I like the Redskins too, always have. I also root for the Vikings and 49ers but I don't really hate any team but Dallas, though I don't like the Pats or Broncos. I've been a Colts fan since I was a kid and the Colts had Bert Jones at QB. My brother and I have suffered a lot, please do not begrudge us any success or happiness that we may get.

riiiiiiiight... try sticking with one team.

WildHoneyAlways said:

They've been using them once a year for the past 2-3 years I believe. The only one people can buy is Urlacher's. And yes, they are ugly. :barf:

If you're talking about the sweet ass orange jerseys, I love them and I saw a Muhammed one today in Chitown.

I'd also like to point out that the bears are now on a 7 game winning streak.

What do u think will happen when Grossman is ready to play, 2nd string? Or back to starter, in for Orton? How can u mess with success???

Headache in a Suitcase said:

riiiiiiiight... try sticking with one team.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a 'bandwagoner'. I HATE bandwagoners (people who switch back and forth based on which team is good at the time) That's a big reason I hate Dallas, most of their fans are like that, gung ho as long as they're winning, back into the closet when they aren't. Fans of other teams proudly admit to and display their teams all the time. Though I am not a Jets fan and know you aren't either, I have noticed their fans are among the most loyal at all times. The teams I listed are the teams I have gained emotional attachment to over the years, and I like them regardless of their record. My brother, however is just a Colts fan. But I have never been a bandwagon jumper, I don't approve of that! :no: (I have noticed a lot more bigmouthed Pats fans since they turned good, where were those voices when they were losing? And I know they lost a lot, because they and the Colts battled it out for the AFC east basement for MANY years running! ;) )

not for nothing but i can't really see how you can be emotionaly attached to more than one team that's competing for the same thing.... but hey, that's just me.

and as for bigmouthed pats fans... well... it's tough to brag about things when you lose. doesn't mean you're still not a fan... but ain't muych to brag about when you're winning 3 games.

not for nothing but i can't really see how you can be emotionaly attached to more than one team that's competing for the same thing.... but hey, that's just me.

Notice no 2 are in the same division. I can't understand anyone liking 2 teams in the same division, those are too much in competiton! The thing is, especially in my case, not every team is going to 'be there' every year, so they aren't really in direct competition. I had decided years ago IF any of the others were to go to the Super Bowl against the Colts, I'd root for the Colts.

and as for bigmouthed pats fans... well... it's tough to brag about things when you lose. doesn't mean you're still not a fan... but ain't muych to brag about when you're winning 3 games.

What I mean is, some people will denounce or deny their team when they are losing, hiding their jackets, peeling off bumper stickers, etc., then when they win it's like 'hey look at me I've been with team X all along!" If they are 'your' team you won't be a fair weather fan. I admire people who stick with their team for better or worse!

I've liked the Bears from the day I heard the super bowl shuffle. I was 4 years old...and in the other room playing on my cousin's drum set. I heard that beat, and tried to play along with them...it all turned out to be a lot of symbal and snare drum though...and then I got yelled at.

But I have been a Bear's fan all my life.

U2Kitten said:
The thing is, especially in my case, not every team is going to 'be there' every year, so they aren't really in direct competition.

yes... yes they are. the point is to win championships... they're all competing for the super bowl. they are all in direct competition with each other for the same ultimate prize, not to mention for free agents and often for regular season wins. heck... you named 4 teams that you consider yourself emotionaly attached to...

i mean jeez... despite your denials, you certainly sound like a bandwagon jumper to me.... like you've found some sort of bandwagon jumping loop hole or somethin.

"Oh i root for the colts... unless they're having a bad year, then i still like them, but i'm gonna root the 49ers instead... unless they're having a bad year, then i still like 'em, but i'm gonna root for the vikings instead... etc. etc. etc."

:tsk: i do not approve

i mean jeez... despite your denials, you certainly sound like a bandwagon jumper to me.... like you've found some sort of bandwagon jumping loop hole or somethin.

If I were a bandwagon jumper, I'd have chosen Dallas, the Pats, the Packers, the Ravens, whoever wins this year. When you live in VA you are pregrown to become a Redskin fan, I couldn't not feel something for them. My Dad liked the Colts since the '50's and my brother and I always liked them. The Vikings, okay, it's dumb. When I was very little and they had Fran Tarkenton, I thought their helmets looked like the big purple bubble gum in the machine at the store, but I have always liked and followed all incarnations of them, Tommy Kramer was a favorite of mine. The 49ers I picked up last because they became my heroes for being the destroyers of Dallas in 1981! I have not changed teams because of record, or as I said, I'd have gone with winners only and big names. I have had these same teams since I was a kid, regardless of record.

"Oh i root for the colts... unless they're having a bad year, then i still like them, but i'm gonna root the 49ers instead... unless they're having a bad year, then i still like 'em, but i'm gonna root for the vikings instead... etc. etc. etc."

:tsk: i do not approve

No, it's not like that at all! But I do admit that having more teams to root for can make playoff time more fun, you increase your chances that at least one of them will do something, so if one is out, there is still more to get excited over. But the differnence is I NEVER change teams because of who's hot this year or what's cool. I have even seen kids buy Dallas stuff just for the star when they can't even name you 3 players and don't watch the games. I hate those 'fans.' I also hate people who change every year based on the winners. I stick with my teams, though there are more than one. But as I said the Colts are #1 with me!

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I've grown up in New England and have been a Pats fan my whole life. Yes, even in the late 80s and early 90s when it was a miracle to win three games in a season (and sometimes we didn't get that miracle).

I don't know why you continue to single out the Patriots - I guess you are just bitter over what has transpired the last few years.

Since the thread title requires no Brady bashing, I'll only say that yesterday was his worst day as a pro. Even though 2 of the 4 ints were tipped, one of those was a high throw (the other was a perfect pass that could have pulled the Pats a few yards away from being down only 3, but I digress).

The divison should still be an easy take, but hopefully Bill has scouts looking at available corners for 2006 in both the draft and free agency already. What happened to Asante Samuel? He could cover last year, not so this year.

Jay Feely must feel great today.

How about the Harvard QB there Chizip...remember I said that they finally drafted a real QB last April (I'll have to pull up the draft thread), now the Rams can think about contending in 2006 if they smarten up and dump Pick Bulger.

Hewson said:
Since the thread title requires no Brady bashing, I'll only say that yesterday was his worst day as a pro. Even though 2 of the 4 ints were tipped, one of those was a high throw (the other was a perfect pass that could have pulled the Pats a few yards away from being down only 3, but I digress).

Well, the 2003 opener at Buffalo comes to mind in regards to worst ever games by Brady, but you're right, this one pretty much ranks right next to it.

i fucking hate kickers. they should eliminate them.

Score an effin' touchdown and there's no problem.

Incidentally, I've thought for a while that the NFL should ban field goals in overtime. The Giants-Seabags game aside, it's getting too easy for the team winning the flip to win.

It used to be that the percentage were around 48-48-2. If you started on defense and forced a quick stop, you'd get the ball in very good field position.

But nowadays, kickers are a lot better at field goals and a lot worse at kickoffs (because the kickoff line was pushed back 5 yard and the kicking tee lowered). So the team winning the toss typically needs only 30-40 yards to get into field goal range. Nowadays the team that wins the toss wins the game around 60 percent of the time, which is bad.

Hewson said:

The reason he's having worse games is because the entire system isn't there. I said all along, he's not that great on his own, he was very fortunate to have a great situation around him, right place at the right time. If he had not been there, or if someone else had been in NE, who knows. Now, he has lost coaches, his running game has collapsed, so he is forced to throw more. Because he isn't getting the protection he used to, he doesn't have as much time for accuracy. Add this to the loss of key defensive players, and that accounts for the drop in success (though thanks to a weak division, they still aren't that bad off) Brady himself is not and never was great, he had a lot of good stuff around him, he had a good ride, but was more lucky than good.

U2Kitten said:

The reason he's having worse games is because the entire system isn't there. I said all along, he's not that great on his own, he was very fortunate to have a great situation around him, right place at the right time. If he had not been there, or if someone else had been in NE, who knows. Now, he has lost coaches, his running game has collapsed, so he is forced to throw more. Because he isn't getting the protection he used to, he doesn't have as much time for accuracy. Add this to the loss of key defensive players, and that accounts for the drop in success (though thanks to a weak division, they still aren't that bad off) Brady himself is not and never was great, he had a lot of good stuff around him, he had a good ride, but was more lucky than good.

So this game proves your theory? I guess average quarterbacks (Brady) can lead the league in passing yards though, much like your boy Peyton right?

As for the less accurate comment, how do you explain his completion percentage of 61.2, which is .3 less than his caeer percentage of 61.3. You have to give the guy his due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom