The Official Major League F'ing Baseball Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And in the blink of an extra inning eye, both the D-Rays and Mets win streaks are gone.
So now I guess the World Series will be Rangers/Giants.

i can only imagine where the mets would be right now if they were able to convince seattle to let them talk to lou pinella two years ago... no team coached by sweet lou would be teetering around .500 when they have the #1 pitching staff (statisticly speaking) in the major leagues...

F'ing Art Howe...

that said... Mets-Yankees tonight at The Stadium... i shall be seated at my usuall spot at the bar @ Flannery's for the game... and i think i'll stick around for that Unforgettable Fire u2 tribute show afterwords :wink:

Saw my Angels beat the dogs today on enemy turf -- Dodger Stadium. GA hit 2 HR's with Vlad on base each time, which was sweet. The team is almost completely healthy and should start winning some games.

oh, that, nah I was talking about the best record in the NL, the 4 game lead on the speds and scrubbies and the 2nd best record in baseball:wink:

the question is (for the Cards)...will their pitching be able to keep up this rate for the rest of the season (it isn't really their strong point).

no doubt thats the question. I think they can. Suppan was pretty solid last year in the NL with Pittsburgh, doing around what hes doing now. Marquis always had pretty good potential in Atlanta, and might be putting it altogether.

Woody and Morris are starting to finally pitch better now. I believe Carpenter can sustain it too... so if you ask me, it's only going to get better, not worse.

carpenter is a stud, marquis is a potential stud, morris and woody can only get better, and suppan is a durable innings eater that should have had a no hitter tonight if mabry could catch a fly ball

the cardinals rotation is great for regular season success, every guy is good, not dominant, but good

that doesnt usually work in the post season though, you need 1 or 2 dominant guys, which they dont have, so we'll see

and a you hear it first first exclusive, the world series mvp? rick Ankiel

he will be the dominant pitcher the Cards will need for the playoffs

Chizip said:
carpenter is a stud, marquis is a potential stud, morris and woody can only get better, and suppan is a durable innings eater that should have had a no hitter tonight if mabry could catch a fly ball

Stud, woody, and ball all in the same sentence! You know just how to treat a girl, Chizip. (and by 'girl' I mean seriously confused guy)

Chizip said:
and suppan is a durable innings eater that should have had a no hitter tonight if mabry could catch a fly ball
Mabry looked pathetic on that play. that being said, wait till Suppan feels some real pressure from a pennant race, he'll have a Ray Davies in his neck from turning to watch all the homers fly out of Busch

and a you hear it first first exclusive, the world series mvp? rick Ankiel

he will be the dominant pitcher the Cards will need for the playoffs
Nothing like a good laugh in the morning

ankiel will come back and come back strong. he was actually getting his act together last year in the minors before he blew out his arm

I'd just like to put a plug in for the Brewers. After all, at miller Park they play Elevation before every Scott Podsednick at bat, Zoo Station before some of Ben Grieve's at bats, and Walk On before some of Brady Clark's at bats.

What a fantastic Yankees-Red Sox game I just watched! Yankees won in the 13th, 5-4. Both teams played their hearts out, and Derek Jeter even dove head-first into the stands to make a catch. He hurt his handsome face, though...he has a lacerated chin & cheek. :(

What a great team. What a great, GREAT game!!!

Diane L.
Interland's Yankees fan

un...be...lievable...
jeter.jpg

if it was a post-season game, it would go down as the greatest game ever played. instead, it'll just go down as the greatest game i've ever seen. a-rod's 5-1-5 triple play... jeter disregarding his own safety to make sure he came down with a ball that probably would've been foul anyways... un-be-lievable

Terry "fire me now" Francona quote: "Nomar was trying to get loose all night. Finally he came to me and said I can go in and play short. But it just wasn't the right situation"

WTF is the right situation? A 13-2 game against Cleveland?
This guy makes Grady F'in Little look like an MIT professor in bullpen and bench management.

David Ortiz singles, he doesn't run for him. Money ramirez follows with a single and Ortiz legs it to 3rd base. Now he runs for him? With Kapler. Who doesn't score. Now he's forced (instead of running say Crespo) to leave Kevin "defensive guru" Millar in right, and he plays way too shallow and misses Cairo's ball (that any good right fielder who knows where to postion himself catches, heck Dwight Evans would have had a sandwich while waiting for the ball).
When does Patriots' training camp open anyway?

Last edited:
And one more thing...any half witted baseball fan (such as myself) knows when you're the road team in a tie game late (or in extra innings) you save your closer and hope to get the lead, whereas the home team won't have an opportunity for a save so you use your closer in te 9th or 10th or whatever (Torre correctly used Rivera for the 10th and 11th), yet Terry "Fire me right f'in now dammit" Francona uses Foulke in the 8th and 9th. So when the Sox take the lead in the 13th, its Curtis "my ERA is 6.86" Leskanic to the rescue.

Hewson, I read the Boston Globe online and there was speculation about Nomar being traded.

I'm sure the Sox fans are unhappy that he didn't beg to get into the game. I guess the almost-trade for A-Rod has soured him on the Sox. What IS it with that clubhouse...the atmosphere is almost always bad!

But it's not too late for the Sox to overtake the Yankees...if the Yankees slump in August (which they've done in the past, a lot) and the Sox go on a winning streak, who knows?

The division is decided, Sox only hope is wild card.
As for Nomar, his salary demands will likely take him out of town at year's end (his agent reportedly wants at least 4 yrs and $15-16 million per season). So the Sox might hafta think about trading him before losing him to free agency anyway. He is not worth that kind of money and may get a slap of reality in the winter. Pokey Reese's play in his absence has shown the organization and the fans Nomar's defensive shortcomings. As for his attitude and feelings being hurt by the A-Rod trade issue...he's a very well paid professional who should understand trades are part of the business and do his job. Manny Ramirez, the player who was actually offered for A-Rod and who was also put on waivers previously by the Sox stated that the trade talk etc. didn't bother him, he is hitting .340, a league leading 22 HRs and has 62 RBI.
Sad to say Nomar needs to learn from Manny of all people.

Anyway, my issue with last night wasn't with Nomar, he supposedly asked into the game, and the buffoon of a manager chose not to even pinch hit him.

would anyone blame nomar for being pissed at the red sox and red sox management after they baisicly tried to screw him over in the off-season with the whole A-Rod thing?

the curse of the bambino... the curse of grady little. you don't fire a man with 2 straight 90+ win seasons based on one questionable decision. if little had taken pedro out and the yankees won anyway, he would've been fired for taking him out too early instead of leaving him in too long. it was a no win situation for him, and he deserved better.

Back
Top Bottom