The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread - PART 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ntalwar said:

Do you have a link for that?

From FIFA.com Laws of the Game:

"The Indirect Free Kick

Signal
The referee indicates an indirect free kick by raising his arm above his head. He maintains his arm in that position until the kick has been taken and the ball has touched another player or goes out of play. "

I'll see if I can find it tomorrow

It was a Blatter announcement to the effect that, and I paraphrase, "there should be no reason for an indirect frree kick other than as a replacement tool for a dropped ball restart"

I think it was just before Euro 2004

but all those games were borned and raised in the US... SOCCER is so global, it can't be stoped now...

the can participate... but not rule FIFA...

HOCKEY is the closest thing to soccer in the US (besides the MLS), and look where it is now... (wait... they're still on strike, right? :shifty: )

PS: I do like that 90 minute time limit they do in the US... from 90 to 0 stoping when the referee says... because you've seen it, for Holland Portugal, they gave like 5 minutes, the same time they should've given to others matches, but the time is up to somebody...

the usual 3 minutes at the 2nd time are "too" usual... and I know that's more than that...

Still dont have a clue of what is soccer ,,,,,,, :|

BTW to not turn this into a total off-topic

Check out this ....

Italian Journal Corriere della Sera put this Headline :

" A very generous penalty assures Italy's victory against Australia in the last minute of a suffered game "

Last edited:
pepokiss said:
but all those games were borned and raised in the US... SOCCER is so global, it can't be stoped now...

the can participate... but not rule FIFA...

HOCKEY is the closest thing to soccer in the US (besides the MLS), and look where it is now... (wait... they're still on strike, right? :shifty: )

PS: I do like that 90 minute time limit they do in the US... from 90 to 0 stoping when the referee says... because you've seen it, for Holland Portugal, they gave like 5 minutes, the same time they should've given to others matches, but the time is up to somebody...

the usual 3 minutes at the 2nd time are "too" usual... and I know that's more than that...

Are you talking in terms of popularity or the game itself?

because American Football is as huge in the US as Soccer/Football is across the world.

toscano said:
Excellent post I saw elsewhere in response to an american poster re. the supposed unfairness in football and why it will never be fully accepted in the US

(snip)

Take a look at some of the other threads in this forum. You'll see plenty of people (myself included) complaining about the problems that the author of the article mentions, but in much greater depth.

However, none of them (maybe with very rare exceptions in American football and hockey) have the feature that a player can account for 100% of his team's points in a game and a win by faking a fall or an injury.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

However, NONE of them (maybe with the exception of hockey, and only in extremely rare circumstances) have the feature that a player can account for 100% of his team's points in a game and a win by faking a fall or an injury.

Neither is it the case in Football, a player actually still has to put the ball in the back of the net to win.

Now, in baseball, a team can win with no player actually making contact with the ball, runs can be brought in by walking, i.e, the pitcher missing the invisible ever changing strike zone. So yes, a player CAN account for 100% for his teams points, and he need do nothing other than stand around.

In football a player can play up and fall from incidental contact in the end zone and draw a Pass Interference call, giving the ball to the opposition on the 1-yard line where they then get FOUR attempts to advance it one yard.

In Basketball players flop all the time and draw fouls, but again, someone actually still has to put the ball in the basket

J_NP said:
Yeah mate you're gonna lot of strenght and a bigger flag maybe for Italy .......

People are already tryin to guess who's gonna score earlier , Italy at 90' or Ucraine at 101' , or it's gonna be like today only on penalties

Actually, Italy has scored at:

So, based on that they're more likely to score early than late

toscano said:

Neither is it the case in Football, a player actually still has to put the ball in the back of the net to win.

Fine. Let's bring numbers into it.

The conversion rate on penalty kicks is ~70%, so let's say that Grosso's dive earned his team 0.7 goals and Totti earned the other 0.3.

Now, in baseball, a team can win with no player actually making contact with the ball, runs can be brought in by walking, i.e, the pitcher missing the invisible ever changing strike zone. So yes, a player CAN account for 100% for his teams points, and he need do nothing other than stand around.

In theory, yes. In reality, it's not nearly as easy as you think it is to take a walk, 'cause you have to judge in .25 seconds whether a 90 MPH fastball is going to be a strike, a ball, or hit you in the face. Only about 5-10% of at bats result in a walk, and you still need four walks to score.

In football a player can play up and fall from incidental contact in the end zone and draw a Pass Interference call, giving the ball to the opposition on the 1-yard line where they then get FOUR attempts to advance it one yard.

True. The conversion rate on 1st-and-goal from the 1 is probably around 70%, same as for penalty kicks. Bill Simmons from ESPN has theorized that some day a team is going to make a living by throwing 50-yard passes into a crowd and trying to draw pass interference calls this way. However, teams score on average 3 touchdowns per game, as opposed to 1.25 goals per soccer match, so it's not as severe a punishment.

The thing that's really ridiculous is that a guy will often be rewarded for a dive with a PK even though there are 4-5 other defenders in the box and his chance of scoring on the play is only about 5-10%. The penalty for such a foul should be much less severe. Give the referee discretion as to whether he should award a free kick, a penalty kick, or nothing. And maybe move the penalty kick out to 30 yards/let the keeper move off his line to challenge the shot/do something to make it more difficult.

In Basketball players flop all the time and draw fouls, but again, someone actually still has to put the ball in the basket

True. You can see plenty of people bitching about this in our NBA thread. But still, a really biased referee might give a team 5, or at the most 10 points out of 100.

The big problem with penalty kicks and red cards is that very often the penalty greatly outweighs the infraction, and this just encourages players to take dives and fake injuries. Why work so hard to set up a good scoring chance when you can just fall over and get a guy ejected or get a free penalty kick?

Last edited:
Yeah, Lucas Neill of all people doesn't deserve that. He looked absolutely shattered afterwards.

Now this country gets to go back to pretending cricket results mean something.

Here is my understanding of game of FOOTBALL :

Its played between 2 teams - called Team A and Team B.

So A's striker scores a goal in the 30th minute when he is onside, but the assistant referree as well as main referee gets it wrong..and although its a VALID goal , the score is 0-0.

In 70th minute, A scores another one, the football crosses the line
and it is taken out 1 foot inside the line by the right knee of the goalkeeper ..its a VALID goal..but score still is 0-0

In 80th minute, team A's defender touch team B's striker. The striker dives ( score 9.9 out of 10 in DIVING), team A defender is shown red CARD and he is out.

In 90th minute, team B striker finds a defender fallen...and although he can easily avoid him..he deliberately goes in that direction...forces a deliberate collision..and gets a penalty..

Team B scores the penalty...

Score 1-0 to team B...

Thats a really good game

:|

i feel so sorry for the AUSSIES...that was definetely never a penalty. ITALY this time had the luck that they've lost in 2002.
it would be nice if AUSTRALIA / NEW ZEALAND could host the World Cup in 2018. go for it.
stadiums: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch

J_NP said:
And finishing what I was saying .....

I'm not that saying that it was right what happened , but Italy got a bit of justice for 2002 , the shame is Australia is out .........

And for the ones curious about Italy being robber in 2002

Here >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWXfAZc67Do&search=2002 fifa italy

JUSTICE..........THIS IS NOT JUSTICE!!!!! If Italy was robbed in 2002 WTF does that have to do with Guus,what does THAT have to do with snuffing us out like a GODDAMN CANDLE!! The REFS ARE TO BLAME, NOT THE COACHES,NOT THE PLAYERS.........THE F**** CHEATING,DIRTY,ROTTEN,COWARD REFS :angry: :yell:
Having said that when does this tit-for-tat end..........WHEN DO WE GET OUR JUSTICE.......... IN 2010???

you know, when australia lost, i had a realization, i dont actually care about soccer and im not terribly upset, although others were, police cars were trashed and a flare was thrown at a horse also a near riot took place in lygon street, melbourne

I have only one thing to say about last night's game........
I don't give a shit about the results - to me, the Socceroos have won the WC and for me they ARE the world champions!!!

Italy should NOT have won that game - that foul was totally
BOGUS!!!

I could say more but I don't want to be banned....lol.

I tip my hat off and salute the Socceroos who were the best dammed team in the entire tournament - you guys did your best and you were totally ROBBED in the end......I'm sure you'll avenge yourselves in the future.

As for the Italians........I hope you bring a pillow and your appetitte to your quarter final game because the Ukrainians are going to feed you TONS of chicken Kiev while they kick your ass!!!

GO AUSTRALIA!!!!!
GO SOCCEROOS!!!!!

J_NP said:

Annie , que horas vai sair ai as quartas ....

And about the game , well tomorrow looks promising Brazil X Ghana , and specially Spain X France looks at least pretty exciting

And for the quartes , we already got

Ger X Ale which , which could be very well the final

Por X Eng , it's a classic and it's the 3rd Face off of

362084-4284-ga.jpg
X
sven.jpg

]

Aqui vai passar as quatro horas da tarde.
I think it will be an excelent game (And I hope Portugal wins again:wink: )

roy keane said:
Portugal-England will be epic for sure.Ronaldo will probably play and fifa spokesman said they would not suspend Figo.All you need is a good beer

:up: Mr Head-butt will play again...

BTW Curiosity , Switzerland was the 1st team ever that was eliminated without takin a single goal.

Materazzi did not deserve a red card. And yet being a man down and not having much of the ball the Italians had better and more scoring chances on net than the Aussies. So the better team won. Stop your fucking bitching and whining. Get over it. You should be happy you got out of the group stages :|

J_NP said:
BTW Curiosity , Switzerland was the 1st team ever that was eliminated without takin a single goal.

WOW !!

forgot about that lol, at least they can offically say they were the best defensive team then lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom