The OFFICIAL Interference World Cup Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Due to the scandal Moggi and his followers are having......................
Juventus probably will be relegated in SERIE B

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

SERIE BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!

:happy: :happy: :happy:

I always thought a bit strange actually , not that Juventus hasa bad team , but this thing of always win , and win and win , I don't remember last time other team won the Calcio , anyway I was rooting for Milan so ......

BTW back to topic , how much this will affect Italian's team buddys ?

Normally less. I mean, what counts now is to make all the things clear, and to throw away from the window Moggi, Giraudo and all the other corrupted persons. Football in Italy is everything, and I really hope there won't be any kind of repercussion at the WorldCup because of the faults of these jerks. The players don't deserve to get overloaded with faults they don't have

Jumping in (again) and changing the topic, does anyone remember Italy v Croatia during the group stages of the 2002 WC?

I think I have to put that as one of the most exciting games I've ever seen. It had everything, controversy, 2 disallowed goals, disputes, overdramatics, an overjoyed player who after taking off his shirt he needed the help from his teams substitutes to put it back on, a team who after everyone thought were out of the game come back and score 2 goals within 3 minutes, and Italian whinging at the end. :wink:

Priceless

That is a good topic, though... great matches of the World Cup.

Myself, and knowing that I am biased, I have to mention the 1986 Mexico final... the game had it all, first Argentina winning 2-0, then Germany coming back to tie it 2-2, and then Argentina scoring the 3rd goal with 4 minutes left... :drool:

3a2.jpg

That's what I love games for. Either when an underdog wins or when a team wins against all the odds.

Croatia are a team I konw to be like that. Ok, so they may not be on everyone's list to win the WC and they may not have the skilled players found in Brazil or France, but they have a tremendous team spirit and friendship which is rare in many other teams who play as individual egos.

Even though I'm English, I feel more comfortable of supporting teams like Croatia. I think Croatia are one of the most exciting teams out there. They do annoyingly screw up when they play against the smaller teams, but I have seen them hold their own against the likes of Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, etc. And they have done really well recently, beating top teams such as Sweden and even Brazil. :rockon:

Yeah, Italians do take football very seriously but so do the English.

I remember when the England team were flying out to their camp in Portugal before Euro 2004, and there was this massive headline in front of the Sun saying (parathrazing) OUR HERO'S. :rolleyes:

I mean, I love football, but isn't that OTT? I mean they're going to play in football tornement not going off to war. And what's even more stupid, good ol' FIFA, who always predict correctly, have placed England 2nd in the rankings to win after Brazil.

:rolleyes:

All this talk has really made me excited for the WC2006. :hyper:
Croatia v Brazil, watch out for it. I love Brazil, I think Ronaldo, etc are fantastic sportsman, not only for their skills but for their clean tactics (ie: no diving, appart from Rivaldo in the first match against Turkey, 2002).:no:

But we have the Champions League final first :hyper: I reeeeaaaallllllllly hope Arsenal win.

GO ON YOU GUNNERS :rockon:

Well if it loses , at least it's a good excuse , coz it loses to the team of the best player in world , kinda the excuse every team wanted , but yeah this 'duel' between Ronaldinho and Henry , wow , I wish 17 was tomorrow :drool:

Just a thing Bonsai , my brother , it wasn't Rivaldo who 'jumped' , it was the striker , Luisao I think , Rivaldo went to for the kick and scored the penalty

Last edited:
Originally posted by J_NP:

it wasn't Rivaldo who 'jumped' , it was the striker , Luisao I think , Rivaldo went to for the kick and scored the penalty

Whoops. Sorry, I could have sworn it was Rivaldo.

bonsai said:
Jumping in (again) and changing the topic, does anyone remember Italy v Croatia during the group stages of the 2002 WC?

I think I have to put that as one of the most exciting games I've ever seen. It had everything, controversy, 2 disallowed goals, disputes, overdramatics, an overjoyed player who after taking off his shirt he needed the help from his teams substitutes to put it back on, a team who after everyone thought were out of the game come back and score 2 goals within 3 minutes, and Italian whinging at the end. :wink:

Priceless

Yeah, I also remember that that fake victory brought nothing to Croatia because they got eliminated in the groupstages..........................;)

Obviously, I have to mention the semifinal Italy-Germany 4-3 at Mexico 1970.
That was the game of the games, the game of the century.
Italy scored the 1-0 with Boninsegna after 8 minutes in the first half. When everything lead into the final, Schnellinger scored the 1-1 at the 90th minute. Then the incredible, 5 goals in extratimes!
Gerd Mueller scored the 1-2 at 94 minute
Tarcisio Burgnich 2-2 at 98 minute
Luigi Riva 3-2 at 104 minute
Gerd Mueller 3-3 at 110 minute
Gianni Rivera 4-3 at 111 minute

:drool: :drool:

Football was never so good!
But then Italy was smashed down by Brazil 4-1...................:(

But that 4-3 remained totally in the history of the WorldCup

Yeah, I also remember that that fake victory brought nothing to Croatia because they got eliminated in the groupstages..........................

The second "goal" should have been disallowed. Inzhegi yanked Simic's arm and pulled him to the ground. Beside's, contrversial decisions happen all the time. Eg:

euro 2000 qualifier: Croatia v Yugoslavia. A perfectly early goal by Boksic dissallowed after clearly going over the line
1966 WC final: One of England's goal even though it didn't fully go over the line
WC 1986: Maradona's "hand of God" against England.

That's just football for you. Sometimes luck is on your side, sometimes it isn't :shrug:

I may be wrong , but I've heard at least 3 , who would give their list on 17th

Be careful Spice Boy... :wink:

www.ole.com.ar

It's Called a "Coward"

Delio Toledo, Paraguayan defender, did not hesitate when he was asked about David Beckham. "He is a 'pussy'. When you guard him hard he freaks out", he said. Then, he clarified that he would anything to stop the Spice Boy. "I don't have any problems in hitting him hard".

Paraguay and England face each other for the first round of the World Cup.

U2@NYC said:
Be careful Spice Boy... :wink:

Ole does love this kind of news

And about the day Yeah this I wasn't aware , but I'm may be wrong , but there are teams that like will call 30 players and after will end up only with 23.

J_NP said:

Ole does love this kind of news

And about the day Yeah this I wasn't aware , but I'm may be wrong , but there are teams that like will call 30 players and after will end up only with 23.

I know, Ole is a little biased... :wink:

I think that those teams that would have picked like 30 players, they should have done it a few weeks ago, as the list they announce on Monday needs to have just 23.

28 Days 3 h 33 Min 34 Sec Until Kick-Off 9 June 2006 :drool:

But just one thing , this thing will probably go back-fire , it always happen , we got to remember that Paraguay is a fine team thats all , is good but not really brilliant , they aren't a team like Argentina or Uruguay yet , hell only Brazil or Argentina could stand up and do a mocking like this , though Bra don't need this , and Argentina already got a history with england so the game would turn into 'fight ' almost literally .

When the british read this , and Beckham see this , they will really got some motivation , and he will got some personal against them , so no wonder he plays like mad in this game . It was a big bullshit and foolness this , guess this player is pretty naive yet .

thanks for that :up:

i can't wait for June 9th :drool:

J_NP said:

When the british read this , and Beckham see this , they will really got some motivation , and he will got some personal against them , so no wonder he plays like mad in this game . It was a big bullshit and foolness this , guess this player is pretty naive yet .

yeah, i remember in the past (i forget who) when a defender says before a game that he can easily control an opposing player....the attacker usually has a great game. :wink:

:drool:

One of the most classics I would say , it was that Fifa World Clubs tournament in 2000 I think , It was Real Madrid against brazilian team Corinthians , the RM french Makelele said he didn't know Edilson , an braz striker , and in the game Edilson scored 2 , and put the ball between Make's leg , ouch that must have hurt :wink:

I may hang around in Bristol after exams just to watch England get trounced a couple of times:happy:

And before anybody says it...yes, I know Ireland didn't make it:wink:

LJT said:
I may hang around in Bristol after exams just to watch England get trounced a couple of times:happy:

And before anybody says it...yes, I know Ireland didn't make it:wink:

Yep I felt bad specially , when I saw the espn spot with Adam narrating about Scotland not goin either , it would be a good chance also to see the boys who know in a stadium rooting , but yeah it's a shame Ireland didn't make it , I found awesome watching them in 2002 , gonna miss the green boys on this one.

On another note, here is an awesome spreadsheet that, as you input the results, it calculates the positions and determines who advances to the next round. You can pick languages and time zones too...

:up: thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom