The OFFICIAL Interference POST-World Cup Thread (PART 8)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
World Champions :tsk:

Italian trio relegated to Serie B

AC Milan, Fiorentina, Juventus and Lazio were implicated
Serie A sides Juventus, Lazio and Fiorentina have been demoted to the second division for their involvement in Italy's match-fixing scandal.

Juventus were also stripped of their last two Serie A titles and had 30 points deducted, meaning they are likely to stay down for two seasons.

AC Milan will stay in Serie A but will start the season docked 15 points.

All are barred from playing in Europe - Juventus, Milan and Fiorentina in the Champions League; Lazio the Uefa Cup.

Lazio were penalised seven league points while Fiorentina suffered a 12-point penalty.

All four clubs hit out at the verdict and hinted they would appeal.

They have three days to appeal to the Federal Court, but they may find they will run out of time to rescue their European places regardless of the outcome of any appeal because the deadline for entry is only 11 days away.

The FIGC (Italian football's governing body) must hand its European counterpart Uefa the lists of teams that will be involved in its competitions by 25 July

That must be embarrassing.

However, the judge and the jury will be bribed in the appeal court.

Last edited:
hrrrm milan survived just about , do you think their main stars will stay?

I highly doubt that this will be the final verdict.

All this corruption....we're probably only seeing the tip of the iceberg here.

Sad for some of the great clubs of Europe, but they really got off light. Juve should have been in Serie C and Milan were lucky not to be relegated.

Now watch the vultures swooping.

U2@NYC said:

We'll go until South Africa 2010.

:wink:

:rockon:

That's it , we keep it :wink:

Talking of which , Have to say the italians were pretty luck , Juve at least is on Serie B , and Milan must be thankin a lot the fact still is Serie A , these 15 points mean nothing ..... maybe it will stop them from the title or make it harder , but will be recovered easily

It'll be tough for all 3 clubs to make it back to Serie A immediately, also they will lose huge amounts of money by not playing in Europe.

Penalties are definitely severe

U2@NYC said:
World Champions :tsk:

Italian trio relegated to Serie B

Juventus were also stripped of their last two Serie A titles and had 30 points deducted, meaning they are likely to stay down for two seasons.

Who will be installed as the champions for the last 2 seasons?

If you look at most of the players at AC Milan or Juventus that would be likely to leave- i.e. their big starts, bar a few of them, the vast majority are around 30 and above. I reckon quite a few of them will not have too many offers on the table - in fact, the players are probably in a weak bargaining position - either say in Serie B for 2 years - if your at juventus - or accept the offer we are giving you. Based on Juve -v- Arsenal last year, most of the players are not as good as the hype surrounding them.

If international teams were premier clubs would England be Man. City, good in the '60's, since then forever gobbing off about how big they are, but won FUCK ALL!

jimmmm said:
If international teams were premier clubs would England be Man. City, good in the '60's, since then forever gobbing off about how big they are, but won FUCK ALL!

Hey jimmmmm, remember who said :

"He who laughs last..... Roll on July 9th, there's gonna be an awful lot of humble pie ate that night, when Beckham holds aloft the World Cup, football really is coming HOME!!!"

that must have been a helluva helping of pie, steak and kiney ? mincemeat ? straight ol pork ?

toscano said:

Hey jimmmmm, remember who said :

"He who laughs last..... Roll on July 9th, there's gonna be an awful lot of humble pie ate that night, when Beckham holds aloft the World Cup, football really is coming HOME!!!"

that must have been a helluva helping of pie, steak and kiney ? mincemeat ? straight ol pork ?

Yep, I ate all the pies that night, well & truly. You'd think after all these years I'd know better than to put so much faith in them, but hey thats what football's all about isn't it?

yertle-the-turtle said:
My top five Man United players:

5. Blanc
4. Djemba-Djemba
3. Miller
2. Kleberson
1. Taibi

LEG ENDS!

all world class players there :eyebrow:

flop idols.

Taibi is the best keeper to grace the prem lol :wink:

Shouldn't this go to a footy thread or Prem League Thread , coz I ain't seein nothin related with the WC here

jimmmm said:

Yep, I ate all the pies that night, well & truly. You'd think after all these years I'd know better than to put so much faith in them, but hey thats what football's all about isn't it?

jimmmm said:

yeah, I went in with a "semi-finals would be a good thing" approach, turned out better than I thought

but he was a world class player. You can fail in a club but remains a world class player (Viera failed in Milan, Henry in Juve, Eto'o in Madrid, etc.)

Zidane/Materazzi disciplinary proceedings: suspensions, fines, community service and regret

Zurich, 20 July 2006 - Suspensions and fines were the sanctions pronounced by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee at its meeting today (Thursday, 20 July 2006) as part of the disciplinary proceedings opened against Zinedine Zidane (France) and Marco Materazzi (Italy) after their clash during the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ final in Berlin on 9 July. Zinedine Zidane has also agreed to do community service work with children and youngsters.
Meeting under the chairmanship of Marcel Mathier (Switzerland), the five-man FIFA Disciplinary Committee imposed a three-match ban and a fine of CHF 7,500 on Zinedine Zidane on account of his head-butt to Materazzi's chest. As Zidane has now retired from international football, the committee took note of Zidane's pledge to do three days of community service work with children and youngsters as part of FIFA's humanitarian activities. Materazzi was suspended for two official matches of the Italian national team and fined the sum of CHF 5,000 for repeatedly provoking Zidane.

FIFA gave both players the right to be heard in accordance with the FIFA Disciplinary Code. The hearing with Marco Materazzi was held at FIFA headquarters on 14 July, with Zinedine Zidane questioned during today's meeting. In their statements, both players stressed that Materazzi's comments had been defamatory but not of a racist nature. During the course of their hearings, both players also apologised to FIFA for their inappropriate behaviour and expressed their regret at the incident.

Referee Horacio Elizondo (Argentina) sent Zidane off in the 110th minute of the World Cup final after his clash with Materazzi. The incident had been directly observed from his position at the pitchside without the use of a monitor by the fourth official, Luis Medina Cantalejo (ESP), who informed the referee and his assistants through the communications system. Both match officials were also invited to attend the meeting. According to the regulations, the fourth official must inform the referee if any acts of violent conduct are committed out of sight of the referee and his assistants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom