The Official Athens 2004 Olympics Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MySuicidalTurtle said:
Courtney McCool just fumbled up floor, too.

Eek. It's a shame after working so hard.

Thank God she didn't hurt herself!

So sorry for the Italian girls: they were doing so much better doing other competitions!
Maybe they're missing the support!

And I'm so sorry for the swimmer of Italian team... Anyway, they're so cute!!!

Actually, I'm not going to complain too much about our girls. They are currently in silver medal position, which is certainly not shabby. I mean, hell, the Romanians are always excellent, and they are tough to beat. This stuff is so incredibly difficult, and the pressure is so awful, I'm amazed at what they're able to do. It's unfortunate that they make mistakes, but it's no surprise. They're human.

So, again congrats to Ian Thorpe taking out the 200m freestyle- what a line up there was in that race- van den hootenden and that new american kid and hackett, but Thorpe prooved that he is undoubtably one of the best swimmers of the modern era- I got up at 2.30am in the morning to watch this race and it was well worth it......
200thop_narrowweb__200x261,1.jpg

oh and also a congrats to the Aussie breastrokers, especially to Brooke Hanson who got second in the 100m breaststroke, at 26 she has made an amazing comeback- she missed out on Sydney and was almost about to retire, but didnt and with a lot of hard work she trained hard and four years later won the silver:wink:
18s_hanson2_wideweb__430x305.jpg

i honestly cannot handle the gymnastics commentator's voice. it makes me want to go on a killing spree. :|

I heard China got straight zeros in the Men's Synchro Diving competition in which Greece won gold...but I can't find anything in any news stories. Anybody know how that happened (how it's even possible)??

perhaps when they make american football an olympic sport :shrug:

:D

I've been enjoying the olympics very much
there's no way the netherlands will do as well as 4 years ago, but the Holland House is again the main place to party during the olympics :D

very proud of what our swimmers have accomplished so far
and I have good hopes for our hockey teams, judo, rowing and Van Moorsel to revenge herself for her fall during the women cycling

I can't say Thorpe looks like someone I'd want to have a beer with,
but he should indeed been given credit
he has definitely established himself as the best swimmer of the last decade and there has been some great competition for that title

Well, I am now addicted.

I also have a TV in my office! I can watch just about 24 hours a day if I want (an could stay awake). :crack:

I hope some time soon they'll actually start to play hockey
because that match today was as poor as the first match against india

it's a small wonder they won both :huh:

gee pitty about that 4x200ms mens free final- what a shitter!!!! The Aussies just missed out!!! and for anyone not aware Ian Thorpe is now equal first as one of our greatest Olympians of all time- his medal tally is equal to that of both Dawn Fraser and Susie O'Neal, who are both swimmers and seeing as though he is already talking about Beijng, he is certain to go down as being our greatest Olympian, if not athlete of all time. I got to give him credit though, that at only 21 he is incredibly mature....

and my other fave sport to watch has been the womens beach volleyball- the two Aussie teams are doing well and it almost makes me want to take up this sport over summer:wink:

Luthien Black said:

We might do really well at the summer olympics, but we suck at the winter olympics. I think our total winter olympic medal count is 3. Ever. And one of those was Steven Bradbury, who won the race because everyone fell over.

Ha! I remember seeing that race...could not believe my eyes!! But it was actually pretty cool, I mean he was totally out of any contention at all and then to win...wow! He probably couldn't even believe it.

What's your problem with Ian Thorpe, Dave C? He's a fantastic swimmer, and I've always thought he's just so damn cool. I'll take him!

Yay! The Netherlands have their first gold medal. Leontien van Moorsel won the individual time trial. :dance:

:up:

zoney! Yes, hockey. What's played in the winter games is called ice hockey. Hockey is played on grass.

oh...thanks. :uhoh: :D :p

I could not think of a worse sport for the human back! I watch a woman's college game last fall....:(

I watched the US vs. Neds last night (mens volleyball)...anyone know who won? I fell asleep (too many damn commercials).

i love the way the colours of those smilies slide into each other

well kinda......

zoney! said:
I watched the US vs. Neds last night (mens volleyball)...anyone know who won? I fell asleep (too many damn commercials).

I'm sorry to say that the US team won. :|

PIETER AND THE HOOTERS DANCE WON THE GOLD MEDAL!!! :hyper: :dance: :up:
He prolonged his Olympic title (something only three other men did at the 100 meter freestyle).

Yay! :up:

Popmartijn said:
I'm sorry to say that the US team won. :|

yeah...just saw it in the newspaper. The orage played well though...and it was USA first win in the Olympics since Atlanta I think.

Marty...I think I have asked this of one of my other Dutch friends in the past, but: Why orange? The colors of the flag are Red white and blue....but everytime I see the Dutch compete in sports on any level...they re in orange (It is actually one of my favorite colors)!?!?!

If my memory serves me correctly it's because the Dutch royal lineage was always the house of Orange. Therefore they use it because it's the official color. As well, the color orange was used subversely during WWII and the occupation of Holland by the Nazis. The wearing or use of the color orange signified a resistance member. That's enough of the history major in moe for now though! :D

The reason I don't like Thorpe is because he's bloody arrogant. I didn't have a whole lot of respect for him after some of the things he said during Sydney, but the way he qualified for Athens was just deplorable. I'm cheering for Pieter Van Den Hoogenband in any races that there aren't any Canadians. Van Den Hoogenband is at least gracious whether in victory or defeat. :up:

DaveC said:

The reason I don't like Thorpe is because he's bloody arrogant. I didn't have a whole lot of respect for him after some of the things he said during Sydney, but the way he qualified for Athens was just deplorable. I'm cheering for Pieter Van Den Hoogenband in any races that there aren't any Canadians. Van Den Hoogenband is at least gracious whether in victory or defeat. :up:

Gad! They're jocks...I don't listen to them!

Besides, I live in the US...talk about yer arrogant asshole athletes...we're over run with them.

DaveC said:
If my memory serves me correctly it's because the Dutch royal lineage was always the house of Orange. Therefore they use it because it's the official color. As well, the color orange was used subversely during WWII and the occupation of Holland by the Nazis. The wearing or use of the color orange signified a resistance member. That's enough of the history major in moe for now though! :D

:applaud:

There's no need for me to answer this question anymore. Dave did it already. :up:

Olympics mania!!!

Sadly tho, living here in good ol' Afrique, I don't have a telly, so I feel a bit like I'm living back in the 40s...I listen to the BBC coverage on short-wave radio. :D Not quite the same, but I guess you take what you can get.

I did get to see the opening ceremonies at a friend's house. It was on a French station and the commentators cracked me up. In any case, :up: to the Greeks for putting on a good show. The 'people dressed up like paintings on vases' thing was cool as was all the gods/goddesses on wires.

Here in Mali our only hope for any kind of a medal (and it's really no hope at all) is our football team. So far they have tied both their games. Go Mali!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom