The Official AFL Season 2009 thread that may be super!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I probably wouldn't go there again, anyway.

Come to SA next time instead! See the endangered Power member before they become extinct!

I think we need to hold the remaining Port Adelaide members at Adelaide Zoo, they're a very wild bunch you see.

Yeah, it's an extraordinary thing. Port Adelaide Power is actually the most dominant major state league (WAFL,SANFL,VFL) club in Australia.

The Port Adelaide Magpies who currently play in the SANFL are in fact a new club who only came about because the original magpies moved to the AFL.

Technically speaking anyway....

The move has probably been bad for the club, spiritually speaking...not the super club they promised to be. I do wonder what would have happened if they got the licence in '91 instead of the Adelaide Crows bid.

Port Adelaide are actually the most successful Australian Rules team ever :nerd:

Oh yeah, prove it. :angry: :wink:

Yeah, it's an extraordinary thing. Port Adelaide Power is actually the most dominant major state league (WAFL,SANFL,VFL) club in Australia.

The Port Adelaide Magpies who currently play in the SANFL are in fact a new club who only came about because the original magpies moved to the AFL.

Technically speaking anyway....

The move has probably been bad for the club, spiritually speaking...not the super club they promised to be. I do wonder what would have happened if they got the licence in '91 instead of the Adelaide Crows bid.

If you look at the back of Ports jumper you'll see a number, which supposedly the year the Magpies were formed.

... SANFL predates the VFA, too. :silent:

Anyway! Shit, have I done my tips yet? I've got like two hours.

Carlton
Dogs
Lions
FreLAMEtle
Saintaz
Crows
Geelong - but I fully expect the Dons to give it a shot.
Port, just.

If you look at the back of Ports jumper you'll see a number, which supposedly the year the Magpies were formed.

Bizarre, I've read about Port Adelaide folk talking about when they entered the AFL and according to them, it is the same club as the one that formed in '870, just rebranded for AFL suitability (name, colours).

Port Power are indeed the same club that started in 1870 as the Magpies or Magentas or whatever they first called themselves, when they entered the AFL in 1997 it signalled a transition of the club, and the club split into Port Power for the AFL, and Port Magpies (not the PAFC) for the SANFL, with shared histories. So the current Port team have won 35 premierships, 34 of them in the SANFL, although the Magpies added another two in the late nineties, and that just kind of confuses me, like I don't know whether to say they have 35 premierships or 37.

... That's right, isn't it?

Port Power are indeed the same club that started in 1870 as the Magpies or Magentas or whatever they first called themselves, when they entered the AFL in 1997 it signalled a transition of the club, and the club split into Port Power for the AFL, and Port Magpies (not the PAFC) for the SANFL, with shared histories. So the current Port team have won 35 premierships, 34 of them in the SANFL, although the Magpies added another two in the late nineties, and that just kind of confuses me, like I don't know whether to say they have 35 premierships or 37.

... That's right, isn't it?

Yep, from what I've read.

It's almost as if once they got admitted to the AFL, Port Power gave the Port New Magpies all of their history (flags etc), to carry over into the SANFL. Quite bizarre.

Yep, from what I've read.

It's almost as if once they got admitted to the AFL, Port Power gave the Port New Magpies all of their history (flags etc), to carry over into the SANFL. Quite bizarre.

If it were up to the club, we would not have an SANFL team. But the SANFL needed to keep one to keep the local competition alive, given we drew crowds to games because everyone hated us. Take Port out of the SANFL in 1997 and it would be dead. The Magpies make our identity issue that much more confusing, which in turn gives ammo for Crow-loving Power-haters to say "you were born in 1997! ha!". As a proud Port Adelaide fan and a massive protectionist when it comes to our history, I take the bait far too often. So much so, I actually made this chart about a year ago:

historyz.jpg

I'm actually kind of embarrassed, but I hope this helps explain it. And don't challenge me, it will get ugly.

Wouldn't dream of it mate, you're spot on :up:

Incidentally, Geelong is one of (if not the) most successful VFA clubs. We dominated the VFA before the VFL was born in 1897.

Well he's got to do something to keep himself in the headlines!

Holy god, Dane Swan picked up 48 possessions!

I don't know how many were effective (Matt Priddis got 45 in a game last year against the Hawks, and he was one of our worst) but that's still awesome.

And Benny is back in trouble after flicking the bird to the camera.

:lmao:

Ah, good ole Benny.

Holy god, Dane Swan picked up 48 possessions!

I don't know how many were effective (Matt Priddis got 45 in a game last year against the Hawks, and he was one of our worst) but that's still awesome.

I watched the match and yeah, pretty much most of them were effective. He was on fire, imagine if he got 50! :up:

And yeah! My Crows gave Hawthorn a bath.

I love you, Benny!

Chance that Nick Naitanui will debut against the Catters this weekend. Can he make us lose by 90 rather than 114 points? I hope so.

Chance that Nick Naitanui will debut against the Catters this weekend. Can he make us lose by 90 rather than 114 points? I hope so.

Debuting against the Cats? Quite an ask there.

My picks for the coming weekend:

Poormond vs Bulldogs: Tigers aren't going to win two consecutive games.
Kangatr00s vs Saints: Duh.
Lions vs Carlton: Blues aren't that great and Brissie has home ground advantage.
Port vs Freo: Meh.
Essendon vs Crows: Bombers'll bounce back and take this one.
Hawthorn vs Sydney: Just because I'd rather not pick the Swans.
West Coast vs Geelong: ...
... just kidding. Geelong by about fifty.
Melbourne vs Collingwood: Gee what a hard pick that was!

I love you, Benny!

This might sound condescending, but I hope so! :lol:

Really enjoying the way Melbourne are playing this year, it's great to see them improve so much on last year.

On a sad note, however, Vale Terry. :(

I think Campbell will be the caretaker, remains to be seen whether he coaches in '10.

Won't be Sheeds, surely.

I'LL be Richmonds next coach! :D

Now for my tips.

Richmond vs Bulldogs: Bulldogs are in great touch but Richmond, I mean they can against Freo, but not Bulldogs. :wink:
Kangaroos vs Saints: Too easy.
Lions vs Carlton: Home ground advantage will kill the Blues.
Port vs Freo: HAHAHAHAHA, shut up.
Essendon vs Crows: Tyson Edwards' 300th game, we usually win in milestone matches so bye bye Bombers.
Hawthorn vs Sydney: Should be an interesting match.
West Coast vs Geelong: Geelong will teach the Weagles another footballing lesson.
Melbourne vs Collingwood: This might actually be close. :up:

How about Jason Dunstall throwing rice at Steven Quartermain in the comm box because he dared ask about Croad??? I only heard part of the fiasco on Classified last night, but what the fuck :lmao:"

Tell me more please! I've heard about it but i'm not clear on what was actually going on.

I'm not sure either, but I think Quartermain asked Dunstall about Croad's injury, whether it was year-ending, might have mentioned that Dunstall would know if he refused to tell, and Uganda's national symbol has been too precious and thrown some rice at him.

Plenty happening in the football world!

Back
Top Bottom