The official 2005 World Series thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
speedracer said:

You've got it backwards. The bars around Wrigley Field don't cause fans to attend games -- Cubs fans have caused bars and other establishments to sprout up around Wrigley field. At least that's how I see it.

I am in wrigleyville as I type this. Let me assure you that this has not always been the nicest neighborhood. Wrigleyville became the clowntown that it is when the neighborhood improved and the bars went in.

Chizip said:
I'd like to see how "loyal" Cubs fans would be if they didn't play at Wrigley Field with a ton of bars surrounding it.

A couple of points. Cubs (minus two of the last three seasons) have sucked for a long LONG time. Sure, a few years ago you could walk up and get a ticket...but the tickets were still tought to come by (even when they suck).

The majority of the games are in the early afternoon. In order to get to a game...it takes dedication! Crap, most ballparks sit empty DURING THE GAME....and they start at 7pm....two hours after the normal workday is done.

I still don't see what the big beef you have with the socialization through alcohol and the Cubs. So, there are bars around the ballpark. Same thing with Fenway. And a majority of the new ballparks are being built in inner cities where they can create an atmsophere like wrigleyville. The fans still cheer for a hit, and grimmace or boo a strike out or a bad call.

BOTH chicago teams have seen their fair share of ass clown fans. Hell, during the World Series, some dumbass hit the wife of an Astro. And then there was the father and son duo who decided to take on the royals two years back. That happened TWICE at U.S. Cellular Field in the same year.

WildHoneyAlways said:

I am in wrigleyville as I type this. Let me assure you that this has not always been the nicest neighborhood. Wrigleyville became the clowntown that it is when the neighborhood improved and the bars went in.

What is GREAT to see is that they are also now improving the neighborhood around U.S. Cellular. Condos popping up in every warehouse space available. It is too close to 90/94 to ever have the neighborhood and has too many surrounding parking areas to allow it to have that feel that Wrigley has....but it is on its way to big improvements. :up:

I just found this picture :love:

chicagosox.jpg

Okay, the pre-game video is probably my favorite thing at the Cell. You will see crazy uniforms in this montage.
http://s8.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=1N162BT3C2MUY1EDICKN7C0UW6

The player intros get cut off at the end but it gives me chills every time I see it. :love:

This is from the Cubs' version of The Onion - The Heckler!

Sox fan buys wrong Journey album
Traumatized Beverly resident: 'Journey really sucks'
The Daily Heckle, Friday, October 28, 2005

The classic Journey song "Don't Stop Believing" was the unofficial theme of the 2005 White Sox, so when South Side fan Mike Walters decided to buy the CD, he thought he was purchasing a timeless reminder of the Sox run to the pennant.

Unfortunately, Walters bought the wrong Journey album.

"I could have sworn it said 'Don't Stop Believing' was on the play list," he said, glancing in disbelief at his new copy of Frontiers. "Turns out it just said 'From the band that brought you 'Don't Stop Believing.' What a ripoff."

Walters realized his mistake only after he tried to listen to the Sox theme in the comfort of his Beverly townhome.

"I'm listening to the songs and it's 'Send Her My Love'-this and 'Faithfully'-that," said Walters. "Then it hit me: Journey really sucks."

Walters' problems grew deeper when he tried to return the CD to the downtown Borders where he bought it, only to find the store has a strict policy against the return of opened merchandise.

Stuck with an unwanted CD, Walters said he plans to use it as a gag gift for his office's upcoming holiday party.

They have some pretty funny articles about the Cubs sucking this season. I doubt you would see that type of humor from the 50,000+ baseball purists that attend every St. Louis Cardinals game.

WildHoneyAlways said:
Tell me about it. The Easten Seaboard Programing Network needs to pull their heads out of their asses and start covering more teams than the Yankees and Red Sox. (and they do give a healthy does of the Cub as well)

just when you think it couldnt get any worse, sportscenter is now staging fake press conferences for the red sox and yankees. :huh:

i guess if there is no news for those teams they will make their own in order to give them more airtime. cant get much lamer than that.

they had steve phillips pretend to be boston's general manager and staged a fake press conference discussing what moves he was planning for the offseason. :huh:

Chizip said:

just when you think it couldnt get any worse, sportscenter is now staging fake press conferences for the red sox and yankees. :huh:

i guess if there is no news for those teams they will make their own in order to give them more airtime. cant get much lamer than that.

even worse than the utter lameness of the entire thing... which oozed a level of lameality that even the lamest of the lame couldn't possiably top... is the fact that espn still thinks steve phillips knows what he's talking about, which any met fan can tell you, of course, is not true.

Chizip said:
they had steve phillips pretend to be boston's general manager and staged a fake press conference discussing what moves he was planning for the offseason. :huh:
Of course Phillips was the Cubs GM last night and is portraying the Astros' GM tonight...why no complaints abouit that Chiz, its only lame when its the Red Sox or Yanks?
How about when he plays Cardinals' GM...will that be the greatest thing ever conceived on ESPN?

Hewson said:
Of course Phillips was the Cubs GM last night and is portraying the Astros' GM tonight...why no complaints abouit that Chiz, its only lame when its the Red Sox or Yanks?
How about when he plays Cardinals' GM...will that be the greatest thing ever conceived on ESPN?

I'll complain about him playing any GM. It's a stupid bit. And oh, isn't it convenient what teams were done first. :hmm: Oh, and the Cubs GM? Shocking. :| The point is that the Boo-yah network is biased.

Hewson said:

when i originally made my complaint it was after they did the red sox's, and they said they would do one for the yankees next, i didnt hear them saying they were doing anymore teams. so i take back the yankees/red sox thing, but it still the lamest segment ever.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

the "Boo-yah network" is, in fact, a network, and will broadcast what gets the most ratings.

End of story.

Doesn't change the fact that they barely cover other teams. Even when said teams are in first place. :| Don't they have some journalistic responsibility? Oh wait. :lmao:

Carpenter won the Cy Young :dancing:

let the bashing begin, just yesterday i heard two seperate media sources say it would be a "travesty" if Carpenter won

well i guess its a travesty :dancing:

Carpenter seemingly had it locked until he imploded in his last few starts, allowing Willis back in contention. I think either one would have been a worthy winner, and the close vote reflects that.
Congrats to Carpenter.

If the Astros could have scored more than an average of 0.0004 runs per game for Clemens, he might have won it, but in the end 13 wins just won't be considered.

i agree that Willis and Carpenter were about equally deserving for the award, so if Willis had won I wouldnt have been too upset. but when Andruw Jones wins the MVP I will be upset, all the stats guys say Jones wasn't even that close offensively to Pujols this year. people use the excuse that Jones' carried his team through injuries, well Pujols did the same thing. You can make a case for Derek Lee because he does have slightly better numbers than Pujols, but Jones doesn't, and it's not that close.

Back
Top Bottom