The Office Part 3: It's Got a Sort of Oaky Afterbirth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What didn't you like about The Dinner Party and Did I Stutter?, Screws?

LemonMacPhisto said:
What didn't you like about The Dinner Party and Did I Stutter?, Screws?

The Dinner Party was awkward which is always fun but for the most part it wasn't that funny. I didn't like all the fighting and the many 'babes'.

Did I Stutter? was better but I was waiting the whole episode for the climax when Michael talks to Stanley. That part wasn't funny at all.

Overall this season hasn't been as funny. The episodes used to overflow with hilarious material but now it seems episodes have huge parts that just aren't funny.

Did I Stutter? was one of my favorites from this season.

Last night's was average, IMO.

Screwtape2 said:

The Dinner Party was awkward which is always fun but for the most part it wasn't that funny. I didn't like all the fighting and the many 'babes'.

Did I Stutter? was better but I was waiting the whole episode for the climax when Michael talks to Stanley. That part wasn't funny at all.

Overall this season hasn't been as funny. The episodes used to overflow with hilarious material but now it seems episodes have huge parts that just aren't funny.

Dinner Party could go down as one of my favorite episodes - tons of stuff to laugh at upon repeat viewings.

I actually like the moments when Michael's shown to be a competent boss or salesman. It keeps the show relatively grounded in some reality, even if it's always ridiculous.

I've been re-watching the beginning of the season via torrent, and the first 3-4 episodes have topped most of the better ones from last season for me. Nothing will top Season 2. I don't think the format/style of the show will let that happen, either.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Dinner Party could go down as one of my favorite episodes - tons of stuff to laugh at upon repeat viewings.

I actually like the moments when Michael's shown to be a competent boss or salesman. It keeps the show relatively grounded in some reality, even if it's always ridiculous.

I've been re-watching the beginning of the season via torrent, and the first 3-4 episodes have topped most of the better ones from last season for me. Nothing will top Season 2. I don't think the format/style of the show will let that happen, either.

The start of the season had some classics. As of late though it has kind of been disappointing. I don't the show is bad. It is just not as good as it used to be in my opinion. Maybe the finale will change that.

Screwtape2 said:

The start of the season had some classics. As of late though it has kind of been disappointing. I don't the show is bad. It is just not as good as it used to be in my opinion. Maybe the finale will change that.

That I can agree with. :up:

Dinner Party is a great re-watch episode. The Office has a couple of those in its history, ones where there's a lot of subtle stuff that you only notice on repeat viewings.

phillyfan26 said:
Dinner Party is a great re-watch episode. The Office has a couple of those in its history, ones where there's a lot of subtle stuff that you only notice on repeat viewings.

I agree that there was a lot of little stuff that was funny. I can't remember who wrote it but they did a great job of putting subtle stuff in there.

"It's just noise coming out of an ugly scientist" is close to becoming part of the common vernacular of me and my gang.

I liked most of the episodes this season, but overall it seems a bit...off. It's still funny - it's not unwatchable. It's just, the tone is a bit different, I don't know how to explain it.

I've never hated an episode, but I think last night's was boring. It seems like the whole point of it was to set up the finale.

Michael was too much of a jackass last night. He is too over-the-top this season (like when he drove into the lake, when he kidnapped the kid, and when he and Dwight went to the Utica branch). Also, the writers are making him really stupid - almost Homer Simpson stupid.

My favorite episode this season is probably Local Ad. Night Out and the first four hour long episodes were pretty good too.

Last edited:
Definitely agree about Michael and it's also getting a little tiring seeing how miserable everyone is at work. We get it, it's a crappy place to work, and it's central too the show, but it's getting to be a little too much for me.

randhail said:
Definitely agree about Michael and it's also getting a little tiring seeing how miserable everyone is at work. We get it, it's a crappy place to work, and it's central too the show, but it's getting to be a little too much for me.

Watched a bit of the NBC marathon. Some were hard to watch. Maddy couldn't wait to see Michael & Dwight drive into the lake again

The further the show goes, the more I see the wisdom in having a show like this have a finite schedule.

Ricky Gervais, thanks for not letting your show go on so far that your character became entirely unsympathetic and infuriating, and frankly, by far the worst thing on the show.

im still in the earlier episodes of this season, and i'm loving it, but also getting a little frustrated by the same thing over and over - i wish jim and pam were not together, and i want jan to go more crazy, because i still cannot understand why she's with him (especially from the deposition)

i wish that the uk office went for longer, but perhaps see the wisdom in only a smaller run, where else can they go you know? they can only do the same thing a few times before it loses its humour.

but i still :heart: it

I too wish that the UK version could have gone longer, but really, what else was there to say or do? It's brilliant the way it is, and had they kept going, it too would have suffered, although Gervais and Merchant are awesome.

This new season has had it's moments, but I agree, the characters are getting very hard to like. At least Creed has never changed!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I hope this show doesn't go on for more than one or two more seasons.

Same here.

The funny's still there, but I don't want to watch it when it's gone to shit either.

Back
Top Bottom