The Octagon Bar: Been Around the World and Aye yi yi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That definitely would have freaked him out, Ewen! :laugh:

My Dad never has cared much for them, either... I remember us driving to the airport once and having the Las Vegas boot from the show I had gone to in the cd player. When Bono said, "Fuck", my Dad (who basically never watched his language around me when I wa a kid, therefore teaching me how to cuss like a sailor!) said, "Nice language there, Boneo." :|

beau2ifulday said:

No - go on. Enlighten me - I don't know a whole lot about that era of U2, to be honest.
What was up with Bono's arrogance?

To be quite honest, Bono bugs the hell out of me during that era. :crack: Some of it's funny to look back on now, but I remember hating it whenever he'd come on tv back then. I loved the songs, but could not stand him. :silent:

beau2ifulday said:

No - go on. Enlighten me - I don't know a whole lot about that era of U2, to be honest.
What was up with Bono's arrogance?

I'd rather not. I want to forget about that period. I just pretend that whole time didn't exist and that U2 just 'lost it' for a period. Anyway, it'll just cause arguments with people. I've had a decades worth of arguments in one week.

I do like a lot of the songs from the Rattle and Hum album though. It's just U2 themselves at that time that bug me (but hey, he didn't mean to bug us!) :wink: :lol: cue Pax with the cymbal.....

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

To be quite honest, Bono bugs the hell out of me during that era. :crack: Some of it's funny to look back on now, but I remember hating it whenever he'd come on tv back then. I loved the songs, but could not stand him. :silent:

Blasphemy!!!

:lmao: :wink:

beau2ifulday said:
haha, Merc and LMPA - you two are so much more advanced in your musical taste than I was!!

At age 9 I really didn't understand very much English, just thought the music sounded good! :laugh:

You can call that 'advanced' if you'd like! :wink:

I've just finished listening to my bootleg of the Glasgow show.

Pax,

Bono sang "into the valley" just at the end of Vertigo!! I didn't hear it at the time! :drool: give Bono the freedom of the city now!

talking of which, you know how I was at that freedom of the city, tree-planting ceremony for Aung San Suu Kyi last week? Bono dedicated Running To Stand Still to her! :) To me, that's more fitting than dedicating the song to our service men and women. Umm, that's not saying anything bad about our service men and women before anyone jumps on me for that! My nephew (see a few pages back) is a tank gunner and is going to Iraq in November! I mean, just the words to the song are more fitting for her IMO. It made it a very emotional rendition.

*goes to jukebox and sticks on Spanish Eyes*

no reason, just love it.

ewen said:
I've just finished listening to my bootleg of the Glasgow show.

Pax,

Bono sang "into the valley" just at the end of Vertigo!! I didn't hear it at the time! :drool: give Bono the freedom of the city now!

No WAY! That is so cool! :hyper: Can't wait to hear it.

talking of which, you know how I was at that freedom of the city, tree-planting ceremony for Aung San Suu Kyi last week? Bono dedicated Running To Stand Still to her! :) To me, that's more fitting than dedicating the song to our service men and women. Umm, that's not saying anything bad about our service men and women before anyone jumps on me for that! My nephew (see a few pages back) is a tank gunner and is going to Iraq in November! I mean, just the words to the song are more fitting for her IMO. It made it a very emotional rendition.

I don't exactly understand the dedication to the troops (not, as you mention, that there's anything wrong with dedicating a tune to the troops). RTSS would indeed be fitting for Aung San Suu Kyi, I think; surely Bono would have known about the ceremonies in Edinburgh over the weekend, methinks, and maybe that's why he changed it.

:kiss:

Merc said:

At age 9 I really didn't understand very much English, just thought the music sounded good! :laugh:

:up:
nothing wrong with that, that's what got me into them when I was 10. I'm not going to pretend I understood what Bono was singing about. It was all about the music for me to begin with. In fact no U2 song made me cry until SYCMIOYO. But then again I might be going through my mid-life crisis since I'm an old fart.

pax said:

surely Bono would have known about the ceremonies in Edinburgh over the weekend, methinks, and maybe that's why he changed it.

:kiss:

no, nothing to do with the ceremony, it is her 60th birthday this week. he sang happy birthday and a bit of Walk On.

ewen said:

*goes to jukebox and sticks on Spanish Eyes*

no reason, just love it.

Ewen, have you ever head of a Norwegian band called 'Madrugada'? I don't know how know they are in the rest of Europe... :huh:

They just have a song that, in the live version, reminds me of 'Spanish Eyes'... :)

ewen said:
:up:
nothing wrong with that, that's what got me into them when I was 10. I'm not going to pretend I understood what Bono was singing about. It was all about the music for me to begin with. In fact no U2 song made me cry until SYCMIOYO. But then again I might be going through my mid-life crisis since I'm an old fart.

Sometimes, I'm still not sure I understand the lyrics to some of the songs... :reject:

R.E.M. and U2 that is, not Queen! :eyebrow: :laugh:

...and the next bar title will definately be something with 'old farts'! :wink:

U2Girl1978 said:
Running to Stand Still has brought tears to my eyes.

It choked me up a little too - it was just so perfect.
The atmosphere was electric - if there was one song in which the entire audience was united, it was that one.
Just amazing.

I'll probably be :sad: in the good way in...

36 days!!! :hyper:

:wave:

Strangely enough, Sometimes was more powerful for me in Philly than in San Jose, even though I was only 15 feet away from Bono in San Jose. Just watching it with the cameras all on Bono clearly showing how much he puts into that song is amazing. I still need to get a boot of the Philly show...

*cough*birthdaypresent*cough*

:whistle:

:mac:

Diemen said:

Strangely enough, Sometimes was more powerful for me in Philly than in San Jose, even though I was only 15 feet away from Bono in San Jose. Just watching it with the cameras all on Bono clearly showing how much he puts into that song is amazing. I still need to get a boot of the Philly show...*cough*birthdaypresent*cough*

Adam! :happy:

**Hides in gigantic birthday cake**

:shifty:

**Jumps out of gigantic birthday cake**

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

:dance: :D :dance:

Diemen said:

Strangely enough, Sometimes was more powerful for me in Philly than in San Jose, even though I was only 15 feet away from Bono in San Jose. Just watching it with the cameras all on Bono clearly showing how much he puts into that song is amazing. I still need to get a boot of the Philly show...

*cough*birthdaypresent*cough*

It's the only show that I can't get a lossless version of so far. If you want the mp3s though let me know and I can send them to you via an electronic method and you can then choose if you want to burn to CD.

It's a brilliant show, performance and sound, and so glad I was there in person. In that 23 years as a fan I have to say it's the best version of "40" I think I've ever heard! The show was made 1,000 x better because I was with Pax. :kiss: Pisser that I had extremely bad toothache that night.

*realises the bar has turned into a U2 thread!*

whoops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom