The Nine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
So, who caught this new show tonite?

Series Premiere:
Wed., Oct. 4 @ 10/9c
"Pilot"
Nine strangers end up in a Los Angeles bank on a fateful morning, as two men lock the doors, pull their guns and announce a bank robbery that will "only take five minutes." These nine survivors are now banded together as an unlikely family, as they re-enter their lives and grapple with how this seminal event has changed them forever...

http://abc.go.com/primetime/thenine/index.html

Unfortunately for you, she'll still be making appearances on 24, although not as much.

I watched this last night. I thought it was decent. It will be interesting over the new few weeks to see how this story is fleshed out. If it's interesting and insightful, I'll keep watching.

Hey, if we can get her pared down to Kim status, cool. :up:

Anyway, I've always liked Tim Daly, and that's part of what peaked my interest in the show. That guy's daughter going to visit one of the bankrobbers at the very end was interesting. Already lots of stuff brewing, but I agree, if it's played out in a good way that'll determine if I continue watching.

Exactly! I have a feeling that the girl visiting the bankrobber knows him somehow :shifty:

And I don't watch 24, so I don't know who the actress is that you dislike. I'm guessing it's the attorney.

Oh, just checked imdb, and yes, that's her!

This was an excellent episode and the show is really starting to draw me in.

It's really cool how they are untangling what went down, and the consequences for everyone involved as they struggle in the aftermath of it.

Good stuff.

I kind of like this show but I have no idea how they're going to keep this going for at least five years. Will an audience care to wait that long to hear "what happened in there?":eyebrow:

We live in the internet world and want our answers NOW!!:wink:

I like this show. It pretenses to be about a bank robbery, but it's actually about human nature. It's purely about the characters and how they react to that experience. The robbery is just a backdrop. It's the polar opposite of a show like 'Lost', where it's all plot 1000% percent of the time and three years into it you still have no idea who the hell these people are.

I haven't seen this show yet. So it's basically Lost except instead of a plane crash there's a bank robbery?

Canadiens1160 said:
I haven't seen this show yet. So it's basically Lost except instead of a plane crash there's a bank robbery?

NO.

Lost is 1000x plot with little attempt at making you care about the characters. Furthermore, the plot that it relies on gets more and more unbelievable each week. What started as a decent show about how people survived after surviving a plane wreck on an island has turned into an uncompelling, unrealistic show about an island that happens to have a network of computers underground, various types of machinery that you'd expect to find in sci-fi novels, cults and cult leaders, and those mystical 'others'. And into the third year of this, the show still hasn't told me enough about the characters to make me care what happens to them in ANY plot.

In The Nine, so far, there seems to be a MUCH better balance between plot and character. In three episodes, I know more about the characters in this show than I do about the characters in Lost after 2 seasons and a few episodes. Thus making me care about the characters, thus making me care about the plot. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the plot is plausible here, where in Lost it is about as plausible as talking animals.

I realize I seem a bit hard on Lost here, but I just think it's stupid that a show that was supposed to be about the survivors of a plane wreck on an island - and that premise had/has a TON of potential with the psychological and physical effects of being cut off from society while living with the fear of not knowing if you're going to live or die, if you're ever going to get off the island or not, etc - has turned into what it is now.

The Tom Hanks movie 'Castaway' is a much better, much more realistic depicition of someone getting stranded on an island after a planewreck.

Pretaining to your statement - If 'Lost' centered around the lives of the characters AFTER being rescued and coming back to society, then you could make a comparison. As is, you cannot.

Last edited:
just watched the episode from 11/1 tonite so I wouldn't be too far behind when I Tivo tomorrow. Too many shows taped to watch & catch up on... :sigh:

I think it's a bad sign that I watch Lost, but then record The Nine and catch it later when I can, unlike needing to see the recording immediately.

Part of the problem with this show is that the exciting premise of the bank robbery has been lost by showing a few minutes of it with each episode.

The robbery lasted what, something like 56 hours or so? I can't remember, but if it lasted that long, I'd like to see the format change where half the show was the robbery and the other half was afterwards. I think that would hold my interest much more, because that's what everyone wants to know, after all - what the hell happened in there?

They'd better change how they are doing it, because I hear the ratings are slipping from people getting disinterested...

I'd prefer to Tivo everything in order to miss the commercials. Was especially effective during the election/campaigning

namkcuR said:

NO.

Lost is 1000x plot with little attempt at making you care about the characters. Furthermore, the plot that it relies on gets more and more unbelievable each week. What started as a decent show about how people survived after surviving a plane wreck on an island has turned into an uncompelling, unrealistic show about an island that happens to have a network of computers underground, various types of machinery that you'd expect to find in sci-fi novels, cults and cult leaders, and those mystical 'others'. And into the third year of this, the show still hasn't told me enough about the characters to make me care what happens to them in ANY plot.

THANK YOU!!! I have been thinking the SAME thing...Lost started out great and is now so far out in left field I have no idea what it is about!!

Back
Top Bottom