The New English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aardvark747 said:
So...apparently now it would appear, that the 'secret' meeting between Chelsea reps and Ashley Cole those months ago, was in fact instigated by Cole himself! Not sure how much truth there is in that. We'll wait to see what Cole's reaction to it is I guess.

But that could prove very interesting anyway, by the time the transfer window opens again. If Mourinho and the rest are now, 100% against Cole, by grassing him up to the F.A, then it would seem that Cole at the Bridge next season is off the cards?:eyebrow:

Yeah this was interesting. I'm not going to defend my club just yet but I do remember how Liverpool tried to drag our name through the mud over the summer before the truth emerged that Gerrard had been the one making all the running.

btw - Tarquin, ur sig u have there!

I quite agree with u, if u r questioning the sudden praise of this song!:huh:
I've never heard of the guy who sang it - but apparently, his 'Greatest Hits' are available?!:wink:

It would suck big time if Gunners and UTD would play in semis, but i'd love to see them in Cardiff!!
And then:ARSENAL-Manchester United 3:0
then i woke up

A United vs Arsenal final will just be etched in history as a reminder of who were the second best teams this year. A Tottenham vs Arsenal final would have been a bit different. We've had a Newcastle vs Man United final recently as well as Newcastle vs Arsenal and they were both dreadful.

The interesting one would be a Blackburn Man Utd final but if Arsenal won the cup all three domestic trophies would be in London and I can't recall the last time that happened.(If indeed it ever has such has been the dominance of the North West.)

I reckon we'll be ok - i'm looking forward to a UTD Arsenal final now, fantastic! Both teams have only that competition to win, so it should be a classic!:drool:

(if we both get there!)

Sweet Tart said:
i figured that's the way it was going to go.

Am not cynical in life at all - however I imagine thats exactly the draw the FA wanted also - imagine the revenue and viewing figures for a Man U - Arsenal final!

Interesting to see Cole was "injured" for game on Saturday.. yet he still made the bench. Looks more and more he may be off to Chelsea..

Yawn lets turn to more exciting matters namely Chelsea vs West Brom tomorrow night.
Also Happy Birthday Chelsea 100 years old today.

Party Boy said:
Interesting to see Cole was "injured" for game on Saturday.. yet he still made the bench. Looks more and more he may be off to Chelsea..

yeah very convenient wasn't it???

i doubt it after chelsea bascially put all the blame on cole and his agent for the now infamous meeting. i think he'll attempt to ride out his contract with arsenal and go as a free agent...unless arsene decides to unload him to get some sort of transfer fee.

i definately think we'll beat west brom. robben is coming back prob to the bench but that's cool and since joey cole has hit a nice bit of form lately we should be fine. i just hope that we dont' underestimate them cause they are at the bottom of the pile.

Party Boy said:
100 years old? How many league titles have Chelsea won? I know its 50 years since the last one (only one??)

Only one but more impressively we've won two Second Division titles. I'm pretty certain we'll get a second this year but I don't fancy waiting fifty years for another one. West Brom are much improved but I still think we'll have too much for them especially after a weeks rest. There's also Charlton v Tottenham and Liverpool v Blackburn on Wednesday.

Party Boy said:
we should try and do a mini football prediction league on here.. each week predict the coming saturday premier league fixtures and whoever gets the most right over a certain period gets to..um.. i dunno.. braggin rights for a week...

Although as a Chelsea fan I see no need to give up my bragging rights (which have been a while coming I can tell you) I think this is a good idea.

I will wait until after the midweek games before doing so but will be bold enough to share my fantastic thoughts with everyone.

There's going to be a lot that comes back to haunt me I'm sure but unless we have some sort of prediction genius on here it'll be the same for everyone. (On the other hand if that person does come forward I will be visiting Ladbrokes more often after getting their information)

Right I'm just going to edit this and volunteer myself for the first egg on face moment by predicting scores for the mid-week games:

Chelsea v West Brom
Although West Brom are improved I can't see us losing our 'Centenary Game' and we're counting down the games until we lift the trophy, although I believe the ground isn't going to be full:
Chelsea 3 West Brom 1

Newcastle v Olympiakos
The UEFA Cup is irrelevent but I'm going for:
Newcastle 2 Olympiakos 1

Charlton v Tottenham
Charlton are always hard to predict, good at home but form poor of late. Tottenham's season has lasted longer than usual (all the way into March who'd have thought it?) but now must prepare for their usual mid-table mediocrity so they'll have a hang over:
Charlton 1 Tottenham 1

Liverpool v Blackburn
Liverpool are great at home and need the win so this one looks like a home banker for me and with survival all but assured for Blackburn they'll be distracted by the cup. If I remember rightly Blackburn haven't beaten Liverpool for a while either:
Liverpool 2 Blackburn 0.

Sporting v Middlesbrough
Again couldn't care less but from what I saw of the first leg Middlesbrough were outclassed but were expecting to have some of their big players recovered for the Second leg. They did very well in the early stages but even so I'm expecting them to go out:
Sporting 2 Middlesbrough 2

I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks.
Maybe we also need to come up with a way of evaluating them points wise so you get some points for getting the right result but more for the correct score? I don't know.

Last edited:
Aardvark747 said:
btw - Tarquin, ur sig u have there!

I quite agree with u, if u r questioning the sudden praise of this song!:huh:
I've never heard of the guy who sang it - but apparently, his 'Greatest Hits' are available?!:wink:

Do you not like it?
I think it will make a wonderful addition to cheese nights to encourage further comedy dancing.

tarquinsuperb said:

I'd love to hear what anyone else thinks.
Maybe we also need to come up with a way of evaluating them points wise so you get some points for getting the right result but more for the correct score? I don't know.

In work we have a prediction league running - its a little more complicated. We have two divisions of roughly 18 people in each. In each division, like any league, each person plays each other twice. So for example if there are 10 games to predict each week and I am playing Aardvark, it will work like this..

Arsenal -v- Bolton
Chelsea -v- Man Uth
Everton -v- Spurs etc.

So I predict what the scores will be, as will Aardvark, although we dont get to see each others predictions until after the games have been played.

So, if I predict the scores for the above 3 games as say:

Arsenal 2-0 Bolton
Chelsea 1-1 Man Utd
Everton 1-2 Spurs

And the actual results were

Arsenal 2-2 Bolton
Chelsea 2-2 Man Utd
Everton 1-2 Spurs,

I will get no points for Arsenal/Bolton as the result was completely wrong. I get one point for Chelsea/Man U as although the score was wrong, the actual result was right (a draw as predicted). I would then get 3 points for the Everton/Spurs game as it was 100% right. So I then add up all the points I got for the games that week and compare them against what Aardvark got from his predictions. If I have more points than Aardvark, then I get 3 points. If its a draw we get 1 each and if I lose, Aardvark gets 3 points. Thats how the league works! I won it last year but this year has been a little disappointing shall i say....

Anyway, its a bit complex as need sufficient enough players plus we play for money - everyone pays a pound a week which goes into a big pot and is distributed out end of season. Maybe here, its a case of just submitting your predictions (you dont play anyone) and based on the same score structure - 1 point for correct result only, 3 points for correct score and result and 0 points for being completely wrong and then whoever gets most for that week gets to boast! Or else we keep track of scores and have a monthly mini league etc? Might make it more interesting....

Party Boy said:
ah you see we would have this thread to keep track of your failings...

I can keep track of them on a spreadsheet .. not a big deal!

Then count me in!!!:wink:

(I always start off a Fantasy Football team in The Sun at the start of each season - but forget about it halfway thru!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom