The New English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aston Villa 1-0 West Brom
Blackburn 1-1 Southampton
Bolton 0-1 Fulham
Chelsea 3-1 Birmingham
Everton 1-0 C Palace
Man City 1-2 Liverpool
Middlesbrough 0-2 Arsenal
Norwich 0-1 Man Utd
Portsmouth 0-0 Charlton
Tottenham 2-1 Newcastle
Accrington 0-0 Stevenage

Aston Villa v West Brom 2-1
Blackburn v Southampton 1-0
Bolton v Fulham 2-0
Chelsea v Birmingham 2-0
Everton v C Palace 1-0
Man City v Liverpool 1-1
Middlesbrough v Arsenal 1-3
Norwich v Man Utd 1-0
Portsmouth v Charlton 1-2
Tottenham v Newcastle 1-1
Accrington v Stevenage stil have no idea who these teams are but 1-2

Last edited:
oh and i almost forgot....

bye bye man utd. :wave: the title is ours. thanks for the help.

(disclaimer: as i normally don't count my chickens before they are hatched so to speak i am reluctantly going to call it and say the title is ours as we would basically have to lose 5 out of our next 7 games and arsenal or man utd would have to win all of their remaining games to beat us and it is highly unlikely that that would happen).

:bow:

Last edited:
Party Boy said:
Sorry havent been around much lately, very busy at work and I am off to Australia this Friday (8th) till 1st May so I was thinking I can either post the fixtures for the weeks I am away or do it from Australia? Am aware we are nearly at 500 posts again so might lose some. Might be best if I do it from OZ. Might be a bit of a delay calculating results etc so please bear with me!!

You'll have a blast in OZ. Is it business or pleaseure? Where abouts are you going?

Party Boy said:
Ok this weeks fixtures are below!

Aston Villa v West Brom
Blackburn v Southampton
Bolton v Fulham
Chelsea v Birmingham
Everton v C Palace
Man City v Liverpool
Middlesbrough v Arsenal
Norwich v Man Utd
Portsmouth v Charlton
Tottenham v Newcastle
Accrington v Stevenage

Villa 2-2 WBA
Balckburn 2-1 S'oton
Bolton 1-2 Fulham
Chelsea 3-0 Birmingham
Everton 1-1 Palace
Man City 1-2 Liverpool
'Boro 1-3 Arsenal
Norwich 0-2 Man Utd
Portsmouth 1-1 Charlton
Spurs 1-0 Newcastle
Accrington 2-1 Stevenage

have a great trip Party Boy!

tarquinsuperb said:

You'll have a blast in OZ. Is it business or pleaseure? Where abouts are you going?

Thanks Tarquin!

Its pleasure - lived there about 7 years ago for a year or so. Finally getting to go out again to Sydney initially for 3 days at start and end of trip. THe middle two weeks or so am staying with a friend in Burliegh, about 45 mins north of Byron Bay - she has a house right on beach and near woodland which has lots of treks and walks. A few weeks of complete r&r in the sunshine! Cannot wait! Going to attempt to surf again.....

you should be closer in the race but unfortunately your 65 mill strike force apparently couldn't find the back of the net with a map...but surprisingly they can easily find the woodwork. :scratch:

actaully that is a wee bit unfair cause i have to admit watching rooney for both man utd and england lately he has been really unlucky. he has hit the woodwork a few times and GK have been making exceptional saves against him that on other days would go in. but what can ya do...sadly arsenal has the better goal difference right now (thanks to henry) so you better hope that arsenal loses or draws with us and you guys don't drop any points til you play us :giggle: or you nay end the season in third.

Sweet Tart said:
you should be closer in the race but unfortunately your 65 mill strike force apparently couldn't find the back of the net with a map...but surprisingly they can easily find the woodwork. :scratch:

actaully that is a wee bit unfair cause i have to admit watching rooney for both man utd and england lately he has been really unlucky. he has hit the woodwork a few times and GK have been making exceptional saves against him that on other days would go in.

But Rooney hasn't scored for England since June against Croatia, can we imagine the outcry if that had been Heskey?

In all fairness, there is a slight chance Rooney might score. With Heskey, you would be better off waiting for Posh Spice to admit she has a shite singing voice. Even still, was surprised Heskey got back in squad - guess he offers something different up front if things aren't going to plan

Sweet Tart said:

actaully that is a wee bit unfair cause i have to admit watching rooney for both man utd and england lately he has been really unlucky. he has hit the woodwork a few times and GK have been making exceptional saves against him that on other days would go in. but what can ya do...sadly arsenal has the better goal difference right now (thanks to henry) so you better hope that arsenal loses or draws with us and you guys don't drop any points til you play us :giggle: or you nay end the season in third.

WE SHALL BE READY FOR YOU AT OLD TRAFFORD!!!!:mad:

:wink:

Party Boy said:
In all fairness, there is a slight chance Rooney might score. With Heskey, you would be better off waiting for Posh Spice to admit she has a shite singing voice. Even still, was surprised Heskey got back in squad - guess he offers something different up front if things aren't going to plan

I prefer Lee Bowyer....

:laugh:

tarquinsuperb said:

But Rooney hasn't scored for England since June against Croatia, can we imagine the outcry if that had been Heskey?

i know...but i was referring to the last 2 qualifying games against northern ireland and azerbdskfjsljflsd. even though they are pretty sad looking teams he did do some nice work in those games. i didn't get to see the few friendlies they played since euro cause they dont' get shown here in canada.

Sweet Tart said:

i know...but i was referring to the last 2 qualifying games against northern ireland and azerbdskfjsljflsd. even though they are pretty sad looking teams he did do some nice work in those games.

:up:
He played very well in both - hit the post in both too, so unlucky not to score really.
He'll be bang on target come the W.C - u wait and see....:wink:

yeah...esp the volley off the corner in the second game. that was amazing. too bad it didn't go in.

Sorry to start a debate and then bugger off.

I was getting more at the media rather than anything else.

I do however think Heskey is a quality player who was in the last squad purely on merit, he has been very good for Brum recently.
I also think Sven's all time worst decision (and lets face it there have been a few) was when he replaced Rooney with Vassel rather than Heskey against Porugal.

Heskey is no different from Rooney in terms of him bringing a lot more to the team than goals. It just seems that Rooney not getting goals as well is acceptable but Heskey not getting goals as well isn't acceptable.

Rooney's behaviour agianst Azerbaijan embarrased me. Again if Heskey had behaved like that the media would call for him never to play for England again.

There are huge double standards in the media and it is difficult to believe that some of it isn't racially motivated.

Aston Villa 3-1 West Brom
Blackburn 2-1 Southampton
Bolton 1-1 Fulham
Chelsea 4-1 Birmingham
Everton 1-1 C Palace
Man City 1-3 Liverpool
Middlesbrough 1-3 Arsenal
Norwich 1-2 Man Utd
Portsmouth 0-0 Charlton
Tottenham 3-0 Newcastle
Accrington 0-0 Stevenage

its funny how the most high-profile tie of the Champions League is also the easiest one to call.
Inter are without Adriano, Emre and Recoba . Vieri, Stankovich, Cordoba and Coco are nowhere near 100 percent. Milan seemingly have a lock on this one.
Chelsea have a clear edge, when one takes into account the fitness problems of Pizarro and Makaay. But they would be warned against taking it easy, coz a draw or a single goal win may yet be inadequate in Munich.

As for last night's games, the clash at Anfield made for great entertainment, but the pattern of the game was so bloody predictable. I knew that Liverpool would play well above themselves without sustaining it, but I was so sure Juve would claw back and still be firm favourites by the end of the night. I think 1-2 means Juve will really fancy themselves in turin.....

kudos to PSV for a great 1-1 against much fancied Lyon.

Well played Chelsea for the 4-2 win last nite. Bosch.
Should've only been 4-1 imo tho - a bit harsh on them in the last few seconds, but I reckon they've done enough to get em' thru to the semis.

Aardvark747 said:
Well played Chelsea for the 4-2 win last nite. Bosch.
Should've only been 4-1 imo tho - a bit harsh on them in the last few seconds, but I reckon they've done enough to get em' thru to the semis.

Agreed I think they were a dead cert at 4-1, 4-2 means they have to keep their heads. Bayern Munich looked better than they did against Arsenal, there does look to at least be some quality in the side and not just from Ballack.

am really pissed off by the penelty. i know they can't change the result now but i hope that ballack gets booked for that blatant dive.

i know dives happen all the time in the game whether we like it or not but if your going to do it at least make it a bit believable. he fell over with no one anywhere near him...it was the saddest thing i have ever seen. i would be embarrased to be the ref or the bayern manager right now.

yeah def didnt think it was a penalty. Still, as a neutral, it makes the second game next week interesting.

Thats two weeks in a row Chelsea have had rub of green with the first goal. Against Southampton and again last night, the first goal got a wicked deflection that wrong footed the keeper...

Hows caperland today?!

Yep still in London - its just 4pm. I have a flight to Sydney 10am tomorrow morning (just in last few minutes got my visa sorted). I have yet to pack .. in fact I have so much to do I can see myself not getting a wink of sleep. And then I have a 24 hour flight to look forward to. Urrghh.

So, you must be delighted with Chelsea (despite last minute penalty?) at moment?

Its raining here also...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom