The New English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I used to follow the English soccer rather closely, but over the last couple of years, I've fallen out of touch. Can anyone bring me up to speed? What's happening at the moment? I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, but I see on this last page, international fixtures are the order of the day. Is the Premier League over? I can't believe how insanely out of touch I am.

English football ends in May with the Cup Final

right now there's just another of those international breaks

top stories of the past few seasons:

Chelsea was bought over by a Russian oil tycoon and now possess a fantastic squad, wonderful to watch
Arsenal went the last league season unbeaten but are now struggling to live up to that
Tottenham are actually looking a bit impressive
Southampton are back in relegation battles like in the 90s
Everton, unlike the 90s, are in fourth place

that sort of thing

yertle-the-turtle said:
English football ends in May with the Cup Final

right now there's just another of those international breaks

top stories of the past few seasons:

Chelsea was bought over by a Russian oil tycoon and now possess a fantastic squad, wonderful to watch
Arsenal went the last league season unbeaten but are now struggling to live up to that
Tottenham are actually looking a bit impressive
Southampton are back in relegation battles like in the 90s
Everton, unlike the 90s, are in fourth place

that sort of thing

:up: Great, thanks for the info! How are Leeds, Liverpool, and Man U doing at the moment? They're the three teams I used to follow before I fell out of touch. Last I heard, Leeds had fallen apart - true?

And I always like to see Arsenal lose so I'm glad I missed that unbeaten run you mentioned.

Good call on Arsenal there Axver!:wink:

Yeah - sorry to tell u, that Leeds DID fall apart, thanks to costly errors from their greedy Chairman. They are no longer in the Premier League. But they have been taken over now by Ken Bates, the former Chelsea supremo - and I reckon he could turn things around there, and get them back to the top. It's gonna take at least another couple of seasons tho imo.

Liverpool are still not hitting the top 3 places in the league, and are actually fighting it out with rivals Everto, for the all important 4th spot, which will get them into the Champions League for next season. Tho my money's on Everton getting it.
They are still in the Champions League this season at the moment. But there's no way they'll get past Juventus in the next match. They also got pipped to the Carling Cup by Chelsea earlier this month, after taking an early lead, they lost in extra time.
Steven Gerrard basically carries the team - and tho his love for the club kept him there another season, I think he's regretting that now. He will go to Chelsea in the summer.

As for the glorious Red Devils (my team btw Axver) - we have had a great undefeated run in the league since the Portsmouth defeat in November, but sadly, it's not gonna be enough to catch Chelsea. 2nd place is what we should be aiming for now, and we should get that the way things are at Highbury right now.
We went out of the C.L to A.C Milan recently, after 2 1-0 defeats. We deserved it really, not enough passion was shown in those games, by any player.
Defending the F.A Cup this season is also a top priority. We are into the semi final, where we meet Newcastle - and could play the Gunners in the final, which would be a great end to the season for the 2 rivals.
Also, Sir Alex has decided to remain at the club for another season, which is good news. You can tell he just wants to retire on a high.
Also Ryan Giggs is in the process of signing a new deal which will keep him at the club till the end of his career. He has been a great servant to the club that he has been with since childhood. He's won it all - and is THE UTD legend.

In other UTD related news, Fergie is determined to lure Real Madrid keeper Iker Casillas to the club this summer!!! That would be fantastic!! Apparently the keeper is currently unsettled as he feels that Real do not rate him highly enough.

BRING HIM ON!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

i think everyone who predicted saturdays games had France down for a comprehensive victory........

although England were good, saturdays most impressive results were Poland's and Holland's.

Good match yesterday for us then. Joe Cole played great throughout - could HE be the answer to the left-sided problem? I think he shows great potential down that flank. Jose has groomed him well over the past 6 months.

And what about my man Wayne?? What a fuckin barge through the players he did to set up for the own goal! U legend Wayne, keep it up.

After week two.... bit of a gap at top already! Will triple check the scores (have already double checked!!).

This weeks fixtures to follow on Monday or Tuesday at latest!

Pathetico Bling Bling FC 25
Quack, Quack, Bang, Bang 20
Aardvark Devils 18
Yertle FC 16
Hell's Satans 16
Caper FC 9
Halifax Windjammers FC 5

Last edited:
Probably not enough time for everyone to predict twice a week unless I give out two sets of fixtures at same time. Will do that from next weekend onwards...

This coming weekends fixtures are below. Bonus game is Sheff Weds -v- Tranmare

Good luck!

Arsenal v Norwich
Birmingham v Tottenham
Charlton v Man City
C Palace v Middlesbrough
Fulham v Portsmouth
Liverpool v Bolton
Man Utd v Blackburn
Newcastle v Aston Villa
Southampton v Chelsea
West Brom v Everton
Sheff Wed v Tranmere

Yo Party Boy!
I reckon ur right - once a week is more than enough - my Aardvark Devils need their rest!:wink:

Arsenal 2-1 Norwich
Birmingham 1-1 Tottenham
Charlton 0-1 Man City
C Palace 1-2 Middlesbrough
Fulham 2-1 Portsmouth
Liverpool 1-0 Bolton
Man Utd 1-0 Blackburn
Newcastle 1-1 Aston Villa
Southampton 0-2 Chelsea
West Brom 0-2 Everton
Sheff Wed 0-0 Tranmere

here we go......

Arsenal 3-1 Norwich
Birmingham 1-1 Tottenham
Charlton 1-2 Man City
Palace 1-1 'Boro
Fulham 1-1 Portsmouth
Liverpool 1-1 Bolton
Man Utd 2-1 Blackburn
Newcastle 2-1 Villa
S'oton 0-2 Chelsea
West Brom 0-2 Everton
Sheff Wed 1-1 Tranmere

ok...here we go..another crap week for me. :lmao:

Arsenal v Norwich 4-1
Birmingham v Tottenham 2-1
Charlton v Man City 2-2
C Palace v Middlesbrough 1-0
Fulham v Portsmouth 1-2
Liverpool v Bolton 2-1
Man Utd v Blackburn 2-0
Newcastle v Aston Villa 1-1
Southampton v Chelsea 0-3
West Brom v Everton 1-2
Sheff Wed v Tranmere oh god i don't know.... 1-0

i'm picking a few different teams then usual but why not. can't do any worse then i was doing....at least i don't think so. :hmm:

Last edited:
Arsenal 2-3 Norwich
Birmingham 0-4 Tottenham (roobbie Keane will score if he plays)
Charlton 1-3 Man City
Palace 0-2 'Boro
Fulham 1-0 Portsmouth
Liverpool 1-2 Bolton
Man Utd 2-2 Blackburn
Newcastle 2-1 Villa
S'oton 2-1 Chelsea
West Brom 0-2 Everton
Sheff Wed 1-1 Tranmere

Arsenal 4-1 Norwich
Birmingham 0-2 Tottenham
Charlton 0-0 Man City
C Palace 1-1 Middlesbrough
Fulham 1-1 Portsmouth
Liverpool 2-1 Bolton
Man Utd 3-1 Blackburn
Newcastle 2-1 Aston Villa
Southampton 0-4 Chelsea
West Brom 1-1 Everton
Sheff Wed 2-0 Tranmere

Halifax Windjammers FC: (man I love that name...it has special connotations around here)

Arsenal 3-0 Norwich
Birmingham 1-2 Tottenham
Charlton 1-0 Man City
C Palace 2-0 Middlesbrough
Fulham 3-1 Portsmouth
Liverpool 1-0 Bolton
Man Utd 2-1 Blackburn
Newcastle 1-1 Aston Villa
Southampton 0-2 Chelsea
West Brom 0-3 Everton
Sheff Wed 2-2 Tranmere

Last edited: