The New English Footy Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aardvark747 said:

Champions League - 1999.....:drool:

Damn right!
if memory serves me then i think they got past Bayern, Barcelona, Brondby, Inter, Juventus and Bayern again in the final.....all without losing a single game home or away. That campaign really has to be the most impressive in modern times.
I also agree with ur point that Sir Alex has earned the right to retire at his own will........

D'oh! said:
Aardvark747 said:

Champions League - 1999.....:drool:

Damn right!
if memory serves me then i think they got past Bayern, Barcelona, Brondby, Inter, Juventus and Bayern again in the final.....all without losing a single game home or away. That campaign really has to be the most impressive in modern times.
I also agree with ur point that Sir Alex has earned the right to retire at his own will........

That campaign was indeed - wonderful:drool:
I have the 98/99 season review on dvd, I never tire of watching it!! The comeback against Juve in the semi was amazing!

Sorry about the absence guys, I'll have my scores for you shortly:

The question about Ferguson will always remain the following:
If Bob Paisely, Bill Shankly, Brian Clough or Matt Busby had been given free reign and had managed the richest club in the world for nearly 20 years would they only have one Euopean Cup to show for it? The answer is no and is the reason why Ferguson's place in the history of the game might not be as good as Ferguson himself believes.

The 1999 win was by his own admission complete fluke and they maybe should have been thrown out of the competition after the disraceful manner in which their final group game was concluded. The money he had spent the previous summer was also very steep: Yorke, Stam, Blomquvist and I think there was one more.

Fergie has to win the league next season whilst ensuring that the team reaches the Quarters or Semis of Champions League so he is under pressure next season. If the United board had been brave enough to get rid of him last year I am quite confident that Mourinho would have chosen United over Chelsea.

We're getting told that there's no transfer money for next year but I'm not sure how the team is going to finish above Chelsea or progress further in the Champions League without Ferguson being able to replace Keane, Scholes or Caroll.

Last edited:
Oh yeah - it was a fluke - no question. But :rockon: all the same!!:wink:

I understand what ur saying Tarquin, I just can't believe that Gill would come out saying sth like this, at such an important time in the season. Who knows, it could push Fergie towards the door even more. Maybe that's what he intended. But right now, i'm glad Sir Alex wants to stay on another couple of yrs - I really couldnt think of anyone else at the helm right now, and it's gonna feel so strange when there is....:sad:

Aardvark747 said:
and it's gonna feel so strange when there is....:sad:

...that little line just reminded me how I felt at the start of the season, when Hughes/Ince and Kanchelskis all went...:sad:
Especially Kanny - he's a great fave. of mine. And on Day 1 we lost 3-1 at Aston Villa:(
BUT the kids came in - and won the double and grew in to millionaire European Cup winners! So I guess there was a bright side!:wink:

(aaah...the memories).....

Schmeichel

Parker
Pallister
Bruce
Irwin

Kanchelskis
Keane
Ince
Giggs

Hughes
Cantona

....How the hell didnt that team win the Champions League?!!!:huh:

aardvark...

you thought i was a guy!!!! :lmao:

<-----with a forum name and location like this. :giggle:

yes...girls watch and enjoy footie too. i don't just watch it for the hot footballers and the shirt swapping at the end...although i can't complain re: the view @ SB

lamps :drool:

sorry guys...i couldn't help myself

you know, if girls swapped jerseys at the end of every match, I am pretty certain there would be a lot more guys watching. At least thats my guess.

As for lampard, I do think he is overrated. However John Terry is great. Went out on the beer with him a few years ago, alongside Jon Harley when he played for Chelsea. Finished at 6am on a Thursday morning (Terry played on the following Saturday!)

Party Boy said:
you know, if girls swapped jerseys at the end of every match, I am pretty certain there would be a lot more guys watching. At least thats my guess.

As for lampard, I do think he is overrated. However John Terry is great. Went out on the beer with him a few years ago, alongside Jon Harley when he played for Chelsea. Finished at 6am on a Thursday morning (Terry played on the following Saturday!)

yes...john terry is great. :love: :kiss:

Party Boy said:

but girls swapping jerseys at the end of a soccer game is soooo much better... :drool:

not to me but if it's what you wanna see by all means. i don't watch women's footie so it doesn't matter to me.

Sweet Tart said:

not to me but if it's what you wanna see by all means. i don't watch women's footie so it doesn't matter to me.

Speaking of womans football, the biggest on field fight I have ever seen was between two women who were horrendous to each other. Normally a guy might punch another player, but these girls were pulling hair, kicking, pinching etc. Crazy!

:lol:

yeah that's usually how it goes in an all out cat fight.

and i'm sure you loves every minute of it too.

I love Lamps but surely you've got to be suspicious about a man who has no armpit hair.
John Terry is a legend nuff said. If the advertisers were more intelligent they would realise that if they want someone to sell blokey products JT is ideal.

tarquinsuperb said:
I love Lamps but surely you've got to be suspicious about a man who has no armpit hair.
John Terry is a legend nuff said. If the advertisers were more intelligent they would realise that if they want someone to sell blokey products JT is ideal.

:lol: poor lamps. he is never going to live that one down. but i love him anyway.

jt would be ideal definately. you don't get much more manly then him. :drool:

so chelsea, jm and ac get charged. it sucks but i am at least glad that cole didn't get away with it. he was just as guilty as the rest of us.

i am not condoning my teams actions on this matter because they were obviously in the wrong and broke the rules but i don't think that we should get the rule book thrown at us just cause they think that a fine would mean nothing to us cause our club has money. the discipline should be the same if it was us or norwich

if anything i think that cole is going to be the one hurt the most by this. he'll get a fine from the FA, he is basically in the dog house with arsenal and chelsea have said they don't want him and they trying for zambrotta so basically he is off to spain with reyes and probably viera whether he likes it or not.

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay here are my much anticipated predictions:

Belgium 1 - 0 Bosnia-Herz'vina
Czech Rep 3 - 1 Finland
England 2 - 0 N Ireland
France 2 - 1 Switzerland
Israel 0 - 1 Rep of Ireland
Italy 2 - 0 Scotland
Poland 1 - 0 Azerbaijan
Romania 1 - 3 Holland
Turkey 2 - 0 Albania
Wales 0 - 1 Austria
Zambia 3 - 1 Congo

Can't see England dropping any points this week, it'll just be how painfull it is and if they try to bore us to death.
Israel against Ireland might be quite interesting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom