The National are a great band we should keep discussing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, the album version has an intangible quality that really stands out. The song really picks up halfway through, which takes it to a whole new level.

I also like both, it just depends on the context in which I'm listening to it. The alternate version would sound tame and slick on the album, especially in the opening slot, but the album version builds up in a way that makes the song function well in such a slot. Out of context though, the haziness and lo-fi quality bugs me, albeit only slightly.

In short: the production matters as far as sequencing is concerned, but it's a good song no matter what.

I think the album version of Terrible Love is the best thing on the album, frankly.

Yes, the alternate version does sound neutered. It sounds drained and polite and completely lacking the oceanic turbulence (appropriate, no?) of the original.
Add moi to the list. In fact, gonna listen to it right now...

It's a common practice for a doting man to ballerina on the coffee table cock-in-hand.

Fetish, bro. But it is indeed. I'm gonna ballerina if we win this meaningless bowl game.

Rookie error on my part. Karen is surging in my estimation, though. Good call from all of you.

Patterns of Fairytales deserves more love. Sad Songs is full of hidden gems like that one.

Fake Empire just gets more poignant with each passing day. What a genuinely great song.

Fake Empire just gets more poignant with each passing day. What a genuinely great song.

the drums in that song are :drool: in fact, that emoticon's main purpose is to describe that song. don't believe a word the plebans say.

The drums are an integral part to lots of The National tracks indeed, especially on the later albums. I can't say that for many other bands I like.

Brainy :drool:

I was going to give High Violet, but assumed the first track wouldn't come across very well.

If it were about 20-30 seconds shorter, I would consider it one of my favorites. It rambles a bit, which I suppose is the point, but I often wish Mr. November would start during those 20-30 seconds.

i don't mind it. it is not the best it could be, but the whole album is one mood so pretty much anything would have worked.

I've been on a National? The National? [awkward wording] listening spree as of recent. Both High Violet and Boxer are two excellent albums.

I've been on a National? The National? [awkward wording] listening spree as of recent. Both High Violet and Boxer are two excellent albums.
Next in line is Alligator. It's their best according to me (and many others).

Back
Top Bottom