The Mullet, Ireland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

I have about 3 hours of music (21 tracks) sitting in a playlist that I need to sort. At this stage, it has far too much Porcupine Tree compared to everything else, but I'm not sure this is a bad thing.

I think I am going to expose people to 8-11 minute songs that need to be that length. Hopefully it will break some stereotypes.

I haven't decided on my introduction CD completely yet, either. I was definitely going to have Husker Du, not that they're unknown, of course, but because more people should respect their body of work from 84-85. I came to this decision when noticing that a curiously large number of people seem to think Candy Apple Grey their best album. You can't possibly say this if you've heard Zen Arcade, Flip Your Wig or New Day Rising (Howzat? Three albums in two years).

And the others - uh, I have no idea. Gene Krupa or something, heh.

Screwtape2 said:

I think I am going to expose people to 8-11 minute songs that need to be that length. Hopefully it will break some stereotypes.

I'm trying to demonstrate the genre's diversity, and that it's not just long songs - though I am using plenty of those, and I feel morally obliged to close the tracklist with the 26:06 Stranger In Your Soul by Transatlantic. Anesthetize by PT is also there to melt a few faces. I mean, holy shit, the middle section of Anesthetize live in Brisbane is the best live moment of music I've heard in my life, excluding One Tree Hill. I was lightheaded from headbanging afterwards.

The Sad Punk said:
I haven't decided on my introduction CD completely yet, either. I was definitely going to have Husker Du, not that they're unknown, of course, but because more people should respect their body of work from 84-85. I came to this decision when noticing that a curiously large number of people seem to think Candy Apple Grey their best album. You can't possibly say this if you've heard Zen Arcade, Flip Your Wig or New Day Rising (Howzat? Three albums in two years).

And the others - uh, I have no idea. Gene Krupa or something, heh.

Heh, I was reminded of you after reading one of the worst album lists ever put online, which mentions Zen Arcade as an album you should remove from your music collection (as well as War, JT, and Zooropa). I don't like a lot of what's on that list, but whoever wrote it is a fucking idiot talking out of their arse.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Husker Du stuff you include. Wasn't Zen Arcade recorded in something ridiculous like just two days? I'd like to see U2 do THAT!

Axver said:

Heh, I was reminded of you after reading one of the worst album lists ever put online, which mentions Zen Arcade as an album you should remove from your music collection (as well as War, JT, and Zooropa). I don't like a lot of what's on that list, but whoever wrote it is a fucking idiot talking out of their arse.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Husker Du stuff you include. Wasn't Zen Arcade recorded in something ridiculous like just two days? I'd like to see U2 do THAT!

Heh, some of that list was pretty funny. I'm sure there was a bit of piss taking.

If he thought Zen Arcade was an unlistenable mess (How the fuck is Never Talking to You Again unlistenable? It's a goddamn acoustic song under two minutes long!) the guy would kill himself if he heard Land Speed Record. I'm a huge Husker fan, but I couldn't tell the difference if that album were played backwards.

And yes, Zen Arcade was completely finished in about 85 hours. It's the best album made in that time you'll ever hear.

The Sad Punk said:

Heh, some of that list was pretty funny. I'm sure there was a bit of piss taking.

If he thought Zen Arcade was an unlistenable mess (How the fuck is Never Talking to You Again unlistenable? It's a goddamn acoustic song under two minutes long!) the guy would kill himself if he heard Land Speed Record. I'm a huge Husker fan, but I couldn't tell the difference if that album were played backwards.

And yes, Zen Arcade was completely finished in about 85 hours. It's the best album made in that time you'll ever hear.

A lot of the list brings the lulz, but often in the sense of "this is just daft". Most of the reasons don't even make sense. I guess in that sense, it's much like EYKIW!

Let's lock U2 in a room, tell them we'll come back in 100 hours, and release whatever they've made. In the eighties, that probably would have produced their best album ever. Today, I bet it will produce the following album:

1. Beautiful Week
2. Levitating To Get Vertigo From Elevation
3. Sometimes You're Stuck In The World You Look At Beneath Her Feet
4. Kneel
5. Soul
6. The Goal
7. Original Hands That Built New York
8. All Because Of Xanax And Fast Cars
9. Summer Rain In Blinding Cities
10. Kneeling
11. Yahweh's Graceful Mercy

Whoa, I actually really agree with this, and I'm a Coltrane fan:

"
Most jazz created after the Big Band era is essentially musical masturbation (and like masturbation, if you must do it, you should do it in private!). It's self-indulgent noodling interesting only to the person playing it, a few fetishists, and lots of psuedo-intellectuals and wannabe hipsters who have to pretend to like it because it's "cool." "

Axver said:

A lot of the list brings the lulz, but often in the sense of "this is just daft". Most of the reasons don't even make sense. I guess in that sense, it's much like EYKIW!

Let's lock U2 in a room, tell them we'll come back in 100 hours, and release whatever they've made. In the eighties, that probably would have produced their best album ever. Today, I bet it will produce the following album:

1. Beautiful Week
2. Levitating To Get Vertigo From Elevation
3. Sometimes You're Stuck In The World You Look At Beneath Her Feet
4. Kneel
5. Soul
6. The Goal
7. Original Hands That Built New York
8. All Because Of Xanax And Fast Cars
9. Summer Rain In Blinding Cities
10. Kneeling
11. Yahweh's Graceful Mercy

:lol:

Let's make it a double album.

1. Gee Thanks, God!
2. Somalia
3. uhh fuck those were all the titles I had guys fuck uh jesus okay this song can be called The Edge I just came up with it lol
4. Label Torn off From Heineken Stubbie
5. Dirty Day (ive had this in the vaults for a while and it seems we never recorded it))
6. Larry Drumming
7. alright thats about it guys lets go to la guillotine for some fine foie gras, oh and we can release this like whenever

The Sad Punk said:
Whoa, I actually really agree with this, and I'm a Coltrane fan:

"
Most jazz created after the Big Band era is essentially musical masturbation (and like masturbation, if you must do it, you should do it in private!). It's self-indulgent noodling interesting only to the person playing it, a few fetishists, and lots of psuedo-intellectuals and wannabe hipsters who have to pretend to like it because it's "cool." "

I can't possibly agree. Jazz is about releasing one's emotions unedited. It is not masturbation. Jazz post big band is the best because it is playing while in a trance. The musician is giving in to the passion inside themselves. Coltrane was one of the best at this.

The Sad Punk said:

:lol:

Let's make it a double album.

1. Gee Thanks, God!
2. Somalia
3. uhh fuck those were all the titles I had guys fuck uh jesus okay this song can be called The Edge I just came up with it lol
4. Label Torn off From Heineken Stubbie
5. Dirty Day (ive had this in the vaults for a while and it seems we never recorded it))
6. Larry Drumming
7. alright thats about it guys lets go to la guillotine for some fine foie gras, oh and we can release this like whenever

Here's the lead single:

CD, v1
1. Beautiful Week
2. Sometimes
3. Larry Drumming (Live On Top Of The Poops)

CD, v2
1. Beautiful Week
2. Umbrella
3. Beautiful Week (Dance Mix)
4. Beautiful Week (Week of Beauty Mix)
5. Beautiful Week (Super Apollo Mercury Astronaut 44,000 Jehovah's Witnesses Jesus Praying Kneeling Megamix Remix)

DVD
1. Beautiful Week with music video
2. Beautiful Week (live on Some MTV Show)
3. Larry Drumming (live on Ayer's Rock)
4. Somalia (live in Sudan)
5. Photograph slideshow of Bono preaching

Screwtape2 said:
I can't possibly agree. Jazz is about releasing one's emotions unedited. It is not masturbation.

Truly, said by someone who has never masturbated.

I love a lot of post big band jazz, but the majority of it is exactly as described, to me. It's something I can appreciate and be fascinated with, but not completely dig.

I think the trance thing was still there before the 50s. The difference is, songs weren't fifteen minutes long.

The Sad Punk said:
I love a lot of post big band jazz, but the majority of it is exactly as described, to me. It's something I can appreciate and be fascinated with, but not completely dig.

I think the trance thing was still there before the 50s. The difference is, songs weren't fifteen minutes long.

Length doesn't matter, it is about where the inner spirit takes you. Post big band is when they really took to the "jam." It is pure expression and you have to dig that.

Axver said:

For better or worse, we also don't have this whole fiasco with primaries, with the party itself electing its leader - almost always someone already on the front bench with a ministerial portfolio of some description. Only once in Australian history has the Prime Minister been from the Senate, in an exceptional circumstance - and he gave up his Senate seat and contested for a House of Representatives seat.

Normally, the primary season is over by Super Tuesday. What's happening this year is highly unusual.

Although I don't like the structure of how they are done. Granted, I like that my state plays such a pivotal role at the beginning, but the rest of the states should all be done shortly after Super Tuesday and not drag on. Also, they don't need to freakin' start in January when the general election is in November. Have the primaries in the summer, the conventions in September, and then two months of campaigning for the general election. That's more than enough.

phanan said:

Normally, the primary season is over by Super Tuesday. What's happening this year is highly unusual.

Although I don't like the structure of how they are done. Granted, I like that my state plays such a pivotal role at the beginning, but the rest of the states should all be done shortly after Super Tuesday and not drag on. Also, they don't need to freakin' start in January when the general election is in November. Have the primaries in the summer, the conventions in September, and then two months of campaigning for the general election. That's more than enough.

I don't get why all the states have to be on different days. And is the convention really THAT necessary? Why not just have the primaries all on one day in September and the election in November? Or if the convention's that necessary, hold it a few days after the primaries, once final vote counts are in.

Axver said:

I don't get why all the states have to be on different days. And is the convention really THAT necessary? Why not just have the primaries all on one day in September and the election in November? Or if the convention's that necessary, hold it a few days after the primaries, once final vote counts are in.

Because all the smaller states would be ignored and therefore not play a huge part in the process. I think it's a good thing that candidates are forced to visit areas that they otherwise wouldn't bother with, as each state's population varies. But it definitely shouldn't drag out as long as it does now.

And I agree, conventions are pretty much useless in the overall scheme of things - they are just one huge pep rally.

Axver said:

Probably phanan rather than I could do the best intro to God Is An Astronaut. I haven't actually checked out their latest album yet.

Just saw this.

onebloodonelife will most definitely include God Is An Astronaut with the post-rock genre, so I'm sure it's covered.

And the latest album is fantastic. I think it's just as good as the previous album.

phanan said:

Just saw this.

onebloodonelife will most definitely include God Is An Astronaut with the post-rock genre, so I'm sure it's covered.

And the latest album is fantastic. I think it's just as good as the previous album.

That's in a different thread, the Genre Intros rather than the CD Exchange. :wink:

Yeah, I've been meaning to download it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

phanan said:

Because all the smaller states would be ignored and therefore not play a huge part in the process. I think it's a good thing that candidates are forced to visit areas that they otherwise wouldn't bother with, as each state's population varies. But it definitely shouldn't drag out as long as it does now.

And I agree, conventions are pretty much useless in the overall scheme of things - they are just one huge pep rally.

I'm worried about how the staggered elections affects the dynamics of the race and the ultimate outcome. It's pretty dodgy that people in state X get to vote for a whole bunch of candidates, while those in state Y only get two or three. Also, as much as there's the virtue in getting the candidates to spend plenty of time in the smaller states, it really means that any state after Super Tuesday is ignored anyway. Instead of being ignored on basis of population, states get ignored on basis of chronology. How is that any more fair? I would contend it's less so.

If all states were to vote on the same day, could there at least be a requirement that candidates visit so many states, say 25 or 30 or something? With a further stipulation that a certain percentage of them must be states with a population of less than a certain figure?

Axver said:

That's in a different thread, the Genre Intros rather than the CD Exchange. :wink:

Yeah, I've been meaning to download it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Oops. I guess I read that too fast.

Not sure if I'll be involved in the exchange at this time, although if people wish to hear more God Is An Astronaut, I can certainly oblige. I have everything. They're one of my favorite post-rock bands.

Axver said:

I'm worried about how the staggered elections affects the dynamics of the race and the ultimate outcome. It's pretty dodgy that people in state X get to vote for a whole bunch of candidates, while those in state Y only get two or three. Also, as much as there's the virtue in getting the candidates to spend plenty of time in the smaller states, it really means that any state after Super Tuesday is ignored anyway. Instead of being ignored on basis of population, states get ignored on basis of chronology. How is that any more fair? I would contend it's less so.

If all states were to vote on the same day, could there at least be a requirement that candidates visit so many states, say 25 or 30 or something? With a further stipulation that a certain percentage of them must be states with a population of less than a certain figure?

If all the primaries and caucuses were closer together, more candidates would still be around for most states. It's the way they have the primaries scheduled that needs a total makeover. I'd have all of them within a month of each other.

Far From Refuge is on Sordo, so I'm downloading it now. So's an EP called A Moment Of Stillness - worthwhile?

And what do you recommend for Sigur Ros?

Also, lawlz at send space:

Note: your download is limited to a max of 50KB/s. Click here to test a premium download and see how it would be when you use a Max account.

My maximum download speed is 55KB/sec and I rarely get past an overall average of 50KB/sec anyway!

phanan said:

If all the primaries and caucuses were closer together, more candidates would still be around for most states. It's the way they have the primaries scheduled that needs a total makeover. I'd have all of them within a month of each other.

That would definitely be a considerable improvement, and would hopefully give the best of both options. I honestly see no reason for primaries to be any earlier than June. It's becoming absurd that the election cycle is dragging on beyond a year, what with candidates already fundraising and campaigning back in 2007!

Axver said:
Far From Refuge is on Sordo, so I'm downloading it now. So's an EP called A Moment Of Stillness - worthwhile?

And what do you recommend for Sigur Ros?

Also, lawlz at send space:

Note: your download is limited to a max of 50KB/s. Click here to test a premium download and see how it would be when you use a Max account.

My maximum download speed is 55KB/sec and I rarely get past an overall average of 50KB/sec anyway!

Oh yes, A Moment Of Stillness is very good also. Download both.

For Sigur Ros, I'd go with either Takk... or ( ). Both have some excellent songs (however, in my opinion, both can drag at times also). I can only listen to Sigur Ros in small doses.

phanan said:

Oh yes, A Moment Of Stillness is very good also. Download both.

For Sigur Ros, I'd go with either Takk... or ( ). Both have some excellent songs (however, in my opinion, both can drag at times also). I can only listen to Sigur Ros in small doses.

Righto, shall do.

I'd like to get into Sigur Ros, since they're playing Melbourne in August and I hear they're exceptional live. So I'll do some downloading and hope that I like it a lot. After my PT jaunt, I really badly need more live gigs. Still tossing up whether or not to see Opeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom