The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like now that Boston's had a taste of victory (and the merchandising revenue that comes with it) the owners are willing to spend whatever it costs to get it back.

The New Yankees, perhaps...? :hmm:

Now, the real reason I came in here: when do pitchers and catchers report? I can't wait for baseball :hyper:

I don't want to see Todd Helton go to Boston. I think he's due to have a good season again, after some of the problems that hindered his play the last two years. I'd prefer he stay in Colorado where he's no threat to the Yankees.

I don't know - who knows how much of his numbers are inflated due to playing at Coors Field all these years. Yes, he's a good hitter, but he's on the decline and has been injury prone of late.

If all they gave up was Lowell and Hansen (and the Rockies paid half), then it might work. I'd keep Delcarmen, though.

I think the Phillies have a real shot at it again this year. Two years ago was disappointing since I'd been to a game that season, but last year (the first year I ever really followed baseball) was heartbreaking.

The team is strong. God only knows what kind of absurd numbers Ryan Howard will be putting up this year (provided he stays healthy), Hamels is turning into an ace in a hurry, and the rest of the pitching staff is solid. The only thing that worries me right now is the left side of the infield - no catcher and no 3rd baseman to really depend on.

The offense and pitching of this team are downright scary! :yikes:

I won't make a standings/W-L prediction yet (that can wait till spring training), but I will say that I think the Phillies will be the NL Wild Card and will run neck-and-neck with the Mets for the NL East title to the end.

I think over the course of one season, baseball's become my second-favourite sport already. I found it a little tough to keep up my interest in June and July last year (especially with the World Cup and Tour de France on), but this time I'm going to try to follow my team every game. :)

The Rockies have announced that talks with the Red Sox have stopped and Todd Helton will be staying in Colorado. Well, for the time being anyway.

Also, Sammy Sosa has signed a minor league deal with the Texas Rangers.

No spoken words said:
Chip, do you care about Weaver going to the M's?

in an offseason where meche gets 5 years 55 million, suppan gets 4 for 40, marquis gets 3 for 21, Weaver for 1 year 8 million would have been a good signing.

The Cardinals don't have much stability in the rotation so I'm a little upset we didn't match Seattle's offer. But it's not the end of the world.

the phillies major problems going into this off season were
a) no bat to protect howard in the lineup
b) shitty bullpen

they have done nothing to fix either of these problems.

now the mets only problem was depth at starting pitching. they did little to fix that, either. but the mets did lead the phillies by 12 games last year.

jimmy rollins and chase utley are both 29, ryan howard is 28... their window for significant improvement is closing, and closing fast. they should, baring injury, stay close to their current level for at least another 5 years, but as far as improving on last year's numbers as they approach 30 years of age? not likely.

where as you look at core of the mets lineup... delgado is 35 and probably has one more year before he starts a decline in power production. beltran will turn 30 this year and is unlikely to get significantly better from where he is, but still has another 4-5 years of consistant high level performance left before he starts to decline. david wright is 25, jose reyes is 24... each have another 3-4 years of improvement left in them before they top out, and then another 5 years of consistant top level performance (again baring injury).

ultimately, of course, it comes down to pitching. if hamels can become an ace, which his numbers last year by no means scream #1 starter (9-8 4.08 era in a bad league), he certainly showed signs that he could be that guy... but once upon a time the phillies thought gavin floyd would be that guy, too. but then again the mets can say the exact same things about john maine and oliver perez... two guys who've shown signs that they can be top of the rotation guys, just without consistancy. :shrug:

long story short, the phillies didn't fill their two major needs, the mets didn't fill their one. the phillies didn't get significantly worse, neither did the mets. i see the status quo.

Roger Clemens has stated that he is failing at retiring. Hinting, that perhaps, he'll be coming back for another season in 2007.
Meanwhile, this past week in the Bronx, Yankees' 2B, Robinson Cano has switched his number 22 for number 24. When Clemens with the Yankees, he wore 22. Coincidence? Cano had worn 22 for 2 seasons.

It's be nice to have him back in The Bronx. He's insane, he had a fucking 2.30 ERA last season....was the NL, sure, but the league ERA was 4.54. His ERA for 2005 was 1.87. He was 42 years old. Amazing.

It would be nice to see him back in the Bronx. Could the Yanks squeeze another year out of him? I guess that's the big question.

Well, he shows no sign of aging. It's gonna happen, of course, but, until it does, might as well see if they can get a good year from him. Lord knows the pressure of the Bronx means shit to him by now. I read the other day that Pavano is 100% healthy. I count on him for nothing at all, but, still, would not suck if he could pitch.

Wrecker's Ball Is Long Overdue
by Shaun Powell, Newsday Sports

It's never nice to speak ill about the ill, especially when death is apparent. With that in mind, I'll be kind and just say this: Yankee Stadium can't collapse fast enough.

Unfortunately, the Grim Reaper won't swing the wrecking ball until sometime in October 2008, depending on when Alex Rodriguez kills another playoff run. That's 21 months from now, or roughly the time between Carl Pavano starts. Until then, baseball fans must continue to root for the Yankees while sitting in a facility past its glory, which is sort of like taking Giselle Bundchen for a spin in a wheezing, old Coup de Ville.

Please, this is no disrespect to the history of the stadium itself.

Just the stadium itself.

Four million people visit Yankee Stadium every year to see Derek Jeter throw across his body to first base, to witness what $200 million buys these days in baseball talent, to observe the winningest team in baseball this decade.

Four million people do not visit Yankee Stadium to do a riverdance while standing in line for the three or four restrooms. Four million people do not visit Yankee Stadium to squeeze through aisles built for supermodels or fight for shouting space at concession stands the size of shopping-mall information booths. Four million people, or at least the few who dare to drive, do not visit Yankee Stadium hours before the first pitch just so they can find one of the limited parking spaces sold at monthly home mortgages.

Once you remove the product on the field and Monument Park in the outfield, the "Yankee experience" is like the death of Barbaro: overrated and overplayed.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, commissioner Bud Selig and other important types made it official yesterday when the All-Star Game was given to the Bronx in '08, but this was a mercy gesture, a nice way of being nice to a sick, suffering old cathedral that should've had the plug pulled a decade ago. Ordinarily, the Midseason Classic wouldn't come anywhere near Yankee Stadium, because baseball knows what we know: The place isn't fit for it.

The beauty of the Stadium nowadays lies exclusively with the history and tradition of the Yankees. People are attracted by walls that talk. They know this is where Babe Ruth smacked his 60th homer and where Don Larsen pitched his perfect World Series game. They want to press their ears close enough to hear the heavy heartbeats from Lou Gehrig's courageous speech and the Babe's good-bye.

They know they're standing in the same place where Roger Maris hit No. 61, where Aaron Boone needed one swing and where Reggie needed three. They also know this is where Joe Louis put Max Schmeling to sleep and where Chuck Bednarik did the same to Frank Gifford. A pair of popes blessed the crowd, and the end zone blessed Alan Ameche in the Greatest Game Ever Played.

All that history is so rich and rewarding and priceless in a building with the charm of Simon Cowell.

Despite getting more nips and tucks than the cast of "The View," the Stadium has seen better days. It can't compare to any of the grand old baseball buildings still standing. For sheer magnificence, nothing tops Dodger Stadium, still in all its retro 1960s glory, sitting atop Chavez Ravine. Wrigley Field also blows away Yankee Stadium, especially if you compare the neighborhoods that surround both ballparks. And Fenway Park, cozy, intimate and buffeted by the imposing Green Monster, is a more inviting place to waste a lazy afternoon.

Yankee Stadium would've gone long ago had George Steinbrenner not wasted time with his misguided attempt at building in Manhattan or flirting with New Jersey. Meanwhile, the cost of materials went up, to the point at which the price of the new Stadium in the Bronx will equal six Yankee payrolls. Well, if that's what it takes to move the Yankees into the 21st century and out of a dated building, so be it. Only three items are worth taking across the street to the new place. The arching façade, because it's the trademark. Monument Park, which deserves more space and a better presentation. And the roll call.

Well, there is something nice we can say about the old place.

It's not exactly Shea Stadium.

I read the article at Newsday. All good thing must pass, right?
Talking about the Yanks, they've offered Bernie a minor-league deal and an invitation to spring training. The ball is now in Bernie's court.

That's good news if it's true. Where did you see this? I see nothing at FOXSports.com or ESPN.com. I'll keep looking. Bottom line is someone, at some point, is gonna get hurt....and being able to call Bernie up would be nice...though, it'll bum me out to see him down in AAA for a long period of time.

Methinks Bernie makes the roster as a 4th/5th outfielder and pinch hitter...he won't actually be assigned to Columbus...if he doesn't make the team he'll retire.

Hewson said:
Methinks Bernie makes the roster as a 4th/5th outfielder and pinch hitter...he won't actually be assigned to Columbus...if he doesn't make the team he'll retire.

As I read this and think about it, you're likely right. Well, right about not going to AAA. Hewson, they actually moved from Columbus, they are now the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Yankees. So, now, Michael Scott and crew can get season tickets to their games. (That's an Office reference, for anyone reading this that only cares about sports). :)

No spoken words said:

So, now, Michael Scott and crew can get season tickets to their games. (That's an Office reference, for anyone reading this that only cares about sports). :)

I smell a company outing. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom