The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
with the exception of his wig wearing duet on rockin' in the free world with eddie and the boys, which i must say rocked much harder than the "u-jam" version :wink:
Yeah but you weren't able to catch his PJ bandwagon hat when he tossed it into the audience.

Company claims 1998 baseball 'juiced'

Associated Press
1/4/2007 11:25:58 AM

CLEVELAND (AP) - A company that uses computer imaging claims baseballs had a larger rubberized core and a synthetic rubber ring in 1998, including the ball Mark McGwire hit for his 70th homer.

Universal Medical Systems Inc. said Wednesday that with the assistance of Dr. Avrami S. Grader and Dr. Philip M. Halleck from The Center for Quantitative Imaging at Penn State, it took images of 1998 baseballs.

"Examining the CT images of Mark McGwire's 70th home run ball one can clearly see the synthetic ring around the core - or 'pill' - of the baseball," UMS president David Zavagno said. "While Mark McGwire may or may not have used illegal steroids, the evidence shows his ball - under the governing body of the league - was juiced."

But Bob DuPuy, baseball's chief operating officer, said the core of the ball has been unchanged for decades. Rawlings has been the exclusive supplier of baseballs to the major leagues since 1977.

"All of our balls are subject to rigorous quality control standards and testing conducted by Rawlings," DuPuy said. "No changes have been made to the core of the ball through the entire time they have manufactured it."

UMS specifically examined the ball McGwire hit for No. 70 - a record surpassed when Barry Bonds hit 73 homers in 2001. Zavagno said the company tested about 35 baseballs in all.

McGwire is on the Hall of Fame ballot for the first time this year, and results will be announced Tuesday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

"The synthetic rubber ring of the modern-day baseball, in this case that of Mark McGwire's prized 70th home run ball, acts as both a spring and a 'stop,'" Zavagno said. "Much like a sling shot pulled back 10 or 20 degrees farther than normal, the subsequent restitution or rebound allows an object to fly faster and farther."

Baseball spokesman Rich Levin said what UMS calls a rubber ring is more like a cardboard washer.

"We are satisfied that the ball comports with all major league specifications," DuPuy said. "Beginning in 2000, we have had annual independent testing done by UMass at Lowell, baseball research center, under the direction of Dr. James Sherwood, and those tests have showed full compliance with standards."

Yippy, I remember back in 1987 when they were saying the same thing. The balls weren't juiced. The players were.
The Yanks and D-Backs are inching closer to a deal trading Randy Johnson back to Arizona. I still think it's a bad move, but whatever.

MrPryck2U said:
Yippy, I remember back in 1987 when they were saying the same thing. The balls weren't juiced. The players were.
The Yanks and D-Backs are inching closer to a deal trading Randy Johnson back to Arizona. I still think it's a bad move, but whatever.

Yeah, the Yanks desperately need to cling to a guy with a balky back who posted a 5.00 era last year, while making 15.66 million dollars. Granted, I no longer live in NY, but, every single Yankee fan I've spoken to about this wants him gone in the worst way.

The only reason I think it's a bad move is because I betcha that SOB wins 20 with the D-Backs. He is old and brittle, but somehow he still gave 17 wins and 200 plus innings.

MrPryck2U said:
The only reason I think it's a bad move is because I betcha that SOB wins 20 with the D-Backs. He is old and brittle, but somehow he still gave 17 wins and 200 plus innings.

I think the 17 wins were courtesy of a lot of run support. I watch almost every game, and boy, did he get his ass kicked early in a lot of games. You're right, though, he is a gamer and he did tough a lot of pain out to get to 200+ innings. I admire his tenacity. I also think he's a dick and would not miss him when gone. How he pitches for AZ or SD if he goes there does not mean that much to me. I really would love to see one or two of the rookies get a shot.

MrPryck2U said:

Ya I remember that...back then they called it the "rabbit ball"

OK so the Yanks dealt Big Ugly, I assume they're planning to bring the Rocket back? I'm glad they dealt RJ, he's not the pitcher he was but he seemed to come up with decent games vs. the Sox...so does/did Pettitte though, so now I've got that to worry about.

I look forward to the Sox getting rid of Wakefield, speaking as a Yankee fan. Oh, and, if Ortiz and Manny would leave, that's be nice. :)

I'm glad RJ is gone, but, hope he does well in the desert.

This year's inductees for the Hall of Fame will be announced today at 2 p.m. EST. That's an hour and a half from now.

I figure that Gwynn and Ripken are shoe-ins. It will be really interesting to see what McGwire gets. If he's anywhere near the 20 percent range there's no way he'll be able to pick up 5o percent more votes in subsequent years.

I think it'll be just Ripken and Gwynn, voters will want those 2 in with no others.
I think Gossage is deserving, as is Rice, but doubt either makes it this year. McGwire has no shot this year.

The Goose just missed it!!

Ripken, Gwynn elected to Hall of Fame

Canadian Press
1/9/2007 2:20:24 PM

NEW YORK (CP) - Hall of Fame voters resoundingly elected Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn into the Baseball Hall of Fame on Tuesday while turning their backs on Mark McGwire in a similarly decisive result.

A record 545 ballots, including two blanks, were received from eligible members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America, with Ripken being named on 537 of them.

That gave the Baltimore Orioles' ironman shortstop 98.5 per cent of the vote - the third highest total in the history of the BBWAA vote behind Tom Seaver (98.83 in 1992) and Nolan Ryan (98.79 in 1999).

The benchmark for election to Cooperstown is 75 per cent of the vote.

McGwire, whose career achievements are tainted by suspicions of steroid use, was picked by just 23.5 per cent of the eligible voters. He will remain on the ballot by receiving more than five per cent.

Rich Gossage fell just short of induction at 71.2 per cent.

Congrats to Tony and Cal! That stinks that Gosse just missed. Maybe if Big Mac finally speaks they'll give him a chance next year. Oh well.

Well, Randy Johnson was officially announced as an Arizona Diamondback on Tuesday. He also modelled the new D-Backs uniforms which can be described as Yuck. The D-Backs stole the Nationals colors.
Of course, the larger story on Tuesday was Big Mac NOT making the HOF. I guess the heck with those two other guys that did, right? Anyway, Tony Gwynn said in regard to Big Mac, that pretty much everyone (players, coaches, owners and stadium janitors) knew about MLB players taking steroids. Cal Jr., on the other hand, knew nothing of steroids when he played. Hmmm.

No spoken words said:

At least, Phil, you have new players and a new manager and something to look forward to....and, who knows, maybe one day Prior or Wood will make it back and stay healhy...I'm rooting for Prior, he is fun to watch pitch.

Let me know how it goes on the computer. :)

I just thought I'd let you know. I have updated most of the major FA signings and trades and after the first game, it looks like Soriano will help the club. In his very first at bad, he hit a 2 run homer into the left field bleachers.
Zambrano was on his game too pitching 7 innings and giving up 2 runs.

Final score Cubs 7 Reds 2

Prior goes next. I'll let you know if his arm holds up.

Video games are real right? :wink:

Last edited:
I think next year Goose and maybe even Rice get in.

Of the guys left out right now who would you all put in? I'd let Goose and Blyleven in, and I'm close on guys like Rice, Dawson, and the Tigers DP guys (Trammell & Whitaker). There are hardly any 2B in the HOF, funny. Not many catchers either.

I liked the old D-Backs unis, much better than the new ones.

i like the new colors for the diamondbacks but the uniforms are brutal... i guess "D-Backs" is hip with the kids these days or somethin'

l2302700.jpg

couldn't they just go with "ARIZONA?"

"Arizona" is probably on the away jerseys.

The home jersey is not good.

Pitchers and catchers report in approx 40 days!!!

Last edited:
Got Philk? said:

I just thought I'd let you know. I have updated most of the major FA signings and trades and after the first game, it looks like Soriano will help the club. In his very first at bat, he hit a 2 run homer into the left field bleachers.
:
How exactly does a leadoff hitter hit a 2 run HR in his first AB?

Cardinals sign Mulder to a heavily incentive laden deal. Only 13 million guaranteed over the next 2 years with an 11 million option for the 3rd year. I like it, if he regains his form it could be a steal.

So it's been revealed that Bonds has tested positive for amphetamines.

Shocking!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom