The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I swore it off after the Yankee collapse in 2004. It bothered too much, I cared too much, it worried me. I wanted to disengage a little.

I failed fairly miserable. I think it's in my blood.

Dalton, FYI...Give me the biggest guy in the world, you smash his knee, he'll drop like a stone.

Chzip, your signature reminds me - I was hanging out with some friends of mine from St. Louis over the holidays. I don't remember how it came up, but the guy started telling me that he would yell, "that's a winner!" everytime he .... ah .... "finished" during sex.

His wife chimes in, "Yeah, it takes him longer to say it than it does for him to do it."

Good times. Good times.

I like Joe Buck. I know its cool to bash him, but I think he's pretty good.

he's no ernie harwell, but who is. Who is?

Doc: Your file says you've got a degree from NYU. What in?
Dalton: Philosophy.
Doc: Any particular discipline?
Dalton: No. Not really. Man's search for faith. That sort of shit.
Doc: Come up with any answers?
Dalton: Not too many.
Doc: How's a guy like you end up a bouncer?
Dalton: Just lucky I guess.

I don't think the pen is all that terrible....although I am saddened Bradford is leaving. Burgos has a lot of potential especially now that he is in a new league. Feliciano and Heilman make the bullpen (well besides Wagner). I think you're right that Duaner NEEDS to be healthy for the mets bullpen to be successful. Then after 50 games we get Mota back so I think they will be allright.

I guess it's assumed Dave Williams will take Darren Olivers place. I don't know much about em even with him eing on last years team.....is this an upgrade/downgrade?

For the most part he is well liked. Of course there are some who think he's sold out, and only became big because of his dad. I like him better when he does local broadcasts than the national ones, he seems looser and doesn't have to worry about appearing too homerish.

Chizip said:
For the most part he is well liked. Of course there are some who think he's sold out, and only became big because of his dad. I like him better when he does local broadcasts than the national ones, he seems looser and doesn't have to worry about appearing too homerish.

I've watched a bunch of games that he did locally, and agree. He's definitely more at ease doing local games, he's burdened a little less by overproduction and promo reads, etc. Just interesting to see how he's viewed by the real fans. Thanks.

Dalton said:
I like Joe Buck. I know its cool to bash him, but I think he's pretty good.

he's no ernie harwell, but who is. Who is?

Doc: Your file says you've got a degree from NYU. What in?
Dalton: Philosophy.
Doc: Any particular discipline?
Dalton: No. Not really. Man's search for faith. That sort of shit.
Doc: Come up with any answers?
Dalton: Not too many.
Doc: How's a guy like you end up a bouncer?
Dalton: Just lucky I guess.

The greatest line ever written is in this film.

In the middle of a climactic fight, the bad guy takes the time to tell Dalton that "I used to rape guys like you in prison". I mean, that's unreal. The thing is, someone had to actually sit there and fucking write that line, with a straight face. Fantastic.

"Pain don't hurt"

G-d bless that film.

Ha ha. I love that film, but really I should have made my same wade garrett. How cool is that guy.

My brother who is a large, large man was a bouncer for a while and one night a guy was giving him lip all night. Finally near close the guy was cut off and started getting a little loud so my brother told he he needed to leave. The guy asked what would happen if he didn't. My brother said, "I will rip your throat out with my bare hands while some blind guy plays the blues..."

I'm pretty sure beer shot out my eyes I laughed so hard.

That's pretty funny. Being related to a bouncer is pretty cool, FYI.

I actually know a guy that was an extra in Road House. He told a bunch of us he was in it, but would not say what scene so we rented it at lunch and looked for him...we missed him the first time, went back the next day and found him in an early scene....a dance scene, of all things. We could not stop laughing, I think I kicked a fax machine and broke it, I was laughing so hard.

She has no taste and should thank the g-ds that you don't divorce her.

We're in danger of having this thread moved to Zoo Station.

Cubs suck.

There, back on point.

Dalton said:
3. The Mets will tank. Sorry Numb & Headache, unless they do something soon to bolster the rotation, they are in a lot of trouble. The bull-pen just doesn't have the depth to rescue them again.

and whoever wins last year's NL West is gonna give the Mets trouble in the playoffs. that prediction worked out splendidly.

they had the same rotation last year and won 97 games, and last i checked the NL still sucks.

reyes & wright a year older? beltran coming back with confidence? delgado being beastly?

tank? come on... give me a break. win 97 games? maybe not... but tank? get serious.

No spoken words said:
Cubs suck.

There, back on point.

Originally posted by Chip And what a great point it is.

Too bad I actually enjoy you guys on this forum. Otherwise, I'd hate you both. :D

Now...SHUT UP!

I envy fans of teams that are good every year. But still, I will not quit on my Cubbies.

Even though we signed "the best leadoff hitter in baseball" for waaay too long of a contract, I will not stop cheering for him to not strike out.

Hey, Ted Lilly and Jason Marquis might pitch, so that's a step up from Prior and Wood right there right? So what if we have one good pitcher. I'll still root for our rotation that seems to change weekly.

I don't care how much all you people make fun of my Cubbies. I may be in my 80's before we win a World Series. But I assure you no matter where I am at that point, I will be at Wrigley Field for a game. Probably then, we'll somehow blow a 3 game lead.

:mad: :mad: :sad:

I have an ex boss who is now a close friend from Chicago. He loves the Cubs dearly. I respect him for it. He lives in LA, since 1990 or so, but his 11 year old son is a Cubs fan, too, thanks to him.

In 1998, we made a bet. I bet him that all 3 Caray's would be dead before the Cubs won another World Series. It's a sick bet, but, I'll likely win it.

I don't actually think they'll suck, Phil, but, I also don't think they just bought themselves a division title. We'll see, though, right? Oh, and, let me just say that no non-Cubs fan was more depressed after the '03 debacle than I was...really wanted a Yankee/Cub World Series. Fucking Marlins.

:sigh: '03. What a waste. I've never seen a team collapse so well in my life. Well, maybe University of Michigan. Think Chris Webber timeout. Regardless, I don't hold Bartman accountable b/c I think often about the Alex Gonzales error at short and then the inability to bounce back when needed. Still, such a sad time. Makes me sick to my stomach to this day.

Anyway, I've depressed myself now. I don't think they'll suck either. I've just never thought that you could buy a championship. I was really hoping for maybe a couple pitching signings and then building a team together more with our system. I don't care if Felix Pie is in Center and sucks for a while, or Angel Pagan in right and Murton in left? I know you run the risk of too much youth, but I'd take a down year to see what we have. I think I'm in the minority here.

Though, I think Angel Pagan might be possibly starting in center with Soriano in left and Jones in right. I'll take that.

I'll start a season on MVP 2005 on my computer and let you know how things go with the new acquisations. :wink:

p.s. I think what makes that whole 2003 thing worse is the expecations we never met the next year. Injuries, and more important, attitudes ruined a great thing...

Sorry you depressed yourself. That's how I get when I think of the 2001 World Series. That actually bothers me more than the collapse against the Sox in '04. Yanks were poised to win 4 WS in a row, which is rarified air....last year that that group would be together....and, for once, a, a lot of people were pulling for them due to 9/11....what made it even worse is that I was at all 4 games in Arizona....and we lost all 4. I've never been more stunned than when Gonzalez's bloop went over Jeter's head and the Yanks lost. Unreal Surreal.

Anyway, back to YOUR depression. :)

You typically cannot buy a championship, but, every once in a while the '97 Marlins come along, and, voila, the championship is bought.

At least, Phil, you have new players and a new manager and something to look forward to....and, who knows, maybe one day Prior or Wood will make it back and stay healhy...I'm rooting for Prior, he is fun to watch pitch.

Let me know how it goes on the computer. :)

Haha, will do.

I honestly have given up on Wood as a starter. I do wonder about closing. I think it would take some time to adjust, but hey, this year we are using him as a reliever. Maybe?

I also did think of the '97 Marlins when I made that comment. I just look at a team like the Cardinals(shut up Chip). They were not better than a lot of teams, but their chemistry was. I don't think that aspect of baseball can be overlooked. I really think this is a huge problem for the Yankees the past(when did they get A-Rod?) ??? years.

I mean, Paul O'Neil was not a Sheffield. But he was so important. Bernie Williams did not hit 40 Home Runs, but he was pretty good. They had some key role players. Heh, and some great pitching too however.

Or think of the Braves. Marke Lemke, a career .230 hitter? Or with/before him, Rafael Belliard, Sid Bream? Jeff Blauser? Man, I could go on. Yes, these teams spent money, but they didn't have the Best player at every position.
Get my point?

Oh, I not only get your point, I MAKE that point all the time. Key trades and minor league systems producing...and a key free agent here and there, to me, is the best formula...and that's how the 90's Yanks were built....now, it's just like the Cubs...that's why having Wang and Melky and Robinson Cano come up and do well has been so exciting, nice change of pace for the Yanks...some homegrown youth again.....

Wood would be a great closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom