The MLB Hot Stove Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the way things go these days, he'll probably get a call before spring training is over.

In any event, hopefully he comes back to the Yanks for one more year to finish off his career the way he wants to.

One of these springs I'm gonna hit Florida for some games, too. That's great, NSW. :up:

On another side note, 3/17 ain't looking so good for me now. Perhaps things will change...

No spoken words said:
You know, Headache, it is a fairly risk-free signing, but, doesn't it worry you a little that they have to go for re-treads like that before the season even starts. I mean, they are a legit WS contender and they're signing cats like that. It's rare to see such a consensus WS contender have such questionable pitching. But, maybe he'll find his form and be a steal, I don't know.

does the yankees questionable pitching worry you?

last i checked the mets were one inning away from the world series with the same pitching staff, and the NL still sucks.

obviously i'd like the pitching to be better... but no, i'm not worried. if the offense produces the way it should, they'll be right back to where they were last year.

Yes, Headache, the Yankees pitching very much worries me, of course. Pavano is a big fat question mark, and so is Igawa. Mussina is not getting any younger, and Pettitte's arm troubles were not all that long ago. So, yeah, the Yanks made the playoffs last year and ought to again with that line up, but I'd like them to win the WS again and I'm not convinced that staff is good enough to get it done.

And what did I just say? The Mets are etched in stone WS contenders, they're a veritable lock for the playoffs. I know they were this close to the WS. You'd just expect a team that good to sign a guy that bad in July or August, after a bunch of injuries or something, when things are looking dicey. 4.81 is the lowest ERA this guy has had in his last 7 seasons.

This wasn't an attack or poking fun, Headache, it was a legit question and I thought that obvious from how I worded my post, I even agreed that it was a risk-free move and could actually pay off. I hate the Mets but hopefully it's clear that I respect good teams, and they're a good team.

If the Yankees signed Park in February, I cannot imagine you or a Red Sox fan sitting there nodding your heads in approval and I wouldn't blame you.

for just above the veteran minnimum? it would have been a great move for the red sox or the yankees... if he regains his form it's a steal, if he continues to suck you just release him. if the red sox, yankees or mets signed chan ho park to gil meche money, i'd say it was ridiculous.

i am more than happy with what omar did with the rotation this off-season... bring back the pieces you have, sign a bunch of journeymen guys to small contracts in hopes one of them catches lightning in a bottle and let some of the younger guys like maine and perez who have obvious talent yet are either still unproven or inconsistant pick up the slack... as opposed to going out and giving 15+ million a year for mediocrity.

I agree that the Mets (and Yankees) were smart not to take the bait on guys like Marquis or Meche or Suppan....could not agree more. The Yanks are paying Pettitte a large salary but the term of the contract is short so the risk is not all that bad...plus, he's been down this road before so you at least know he can handle NY. I'll be shocked if the Mets do not at least get to the WS, I guess we just see the signing of Park in a different light.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
mets signed chan ho park to a 600,000 contract.

now that is a great signing... if he can ever capitalize on his earlier potential it's a steal, if he can't, the mets will make enough money to cover his contract on one friday night at shea.
Plus all the Korean revenue streams they just opened up.

Headache, the Yanks don't need any publicity. They're the Yankees for Lord's sake! Getting Andy was a good move, though. If he has a bad year, he'll just get his walking papers after the year is over.

bullcrap. everyone needs publicity.

the entire joe torre might be fired thing was just a ploy by george steinbrenner to keep the mets off the backpages. if you don't think king george the third does things purposely to keep the yankees on the backpages and everyone else off, you're crazy.

and i don't fault him for doing it either... he should.

I'm fucking excited that spring training is starting.

EXCITED.

I really am. Bummed about Bernie but excited about the Yanks overall. So curious about Igawa and Pavano, etc. Also, of course, looking forward to seeing how Matsuzaka does. Every single entity that projects stats based off of performances in Japan has his ERA below 4, most in the mid 3's. Bobby Valentine keeps talking about how he throws 4 different breaking balls, etc.

Also, it's amazing/sad how my brain has already shifted to Fantasy BB mode. I'm in an AL only keeper league, with 11 owners, it's insanely challenging and so dork laden. :) It's an auction league, and, speaking of Matsuzaka, cannot wait to see how high the bidding goes for him.

Do you guys do an interference Fantasy BB league? If so, if you have an opening and would not mind....I'd love to participate, I like doing a 2nd league, keeps me a little closer to the goings on in the NL. Anyway, someone let me know, please.

citifield1.jpg

:drool:

No spoken words said:
Do you guys do an interference Fantasy BB league? If so, if you have an opening and would not mind....I'd love to participate, I like doing a 2nd league, keeps me a little closer to the goings on in the NL. Anyway, someone let me know, please.

we do... some super swell commish is also the defending champ :wink:

looks like the cubs free spending ways this off season may have screwed them...

Whatever happens, I don't want to know [anything] about a contract during the season. I want to sign with the Cubs before the season starts," the Cubs' pitching ace said in an interview on WGN-TV, according to the Chicago Tribune. "If they don't sign me, sorry, but I must go. That's what Carlos Zambrano thinks."

Hewson said:

I've seen that before, but, I am glad to have seen it again. I know this speaks poorly for me, but it makes me smile. Not laugh, but smile. :)

I've been to Fenway a few times. A lot as a kid, then not for years, then returned around 1990. Wore a Yankee shirt. Big mistake, am not sure what I was thinking. It was a rough few hours. Since then, whenever I've gone I've not work any Yankee stuff, it's just not worth it.

When the Yanks come to Anaheim, I wear a Yankee shirt and it's all good because there are tons of Yankee fans and the anitpathy is not as strong as it is in Boston, of course.

2 years ago the Yanks came to Dodger Stadium and I work a Yankee shirt and that was actually not too pleasant, either. The Dodger fans were a little unruly that day.

My favorite personal hatred moment was in 1998, Game 4 of the WS down in San Diego. My friend and I come rolling into the parking lot of what was then still Jack Murphy Stadium, and he has the top down on his convertible....we're both decked out in Yankee gear, he's blaring "New York, New York" out of his stereo and I'm standing on my seat holding a broom above my head. I'm not sure how much more obnoxious it gets...anyway, we park, and we get booed and threatened, etc....and some biker chick, in her mid 60's or so, yells to me "How'd you like me to shove that broom up your fucking ass, you fat fuck?". I couldn't stop laughing. I ended up on NBC's local NY news that night, sweeping my broom outside of the stadium. That broom was eventually confiscated by security, it never made it into the stadium.

I think Ted Lilly will be pretty good. 3 out of the past 4 years he's put up an ERA a little over 4 in the brutal AL East. Going to the NL central I could see him putting up a 3.8 type ERA.

I'm actually nervous about the Cubs this year.

Ted Lilly has some really interesting splits.

The guy has basically owned Boston, Baltimore and Texas over the last 3 years, but has gotten crushed by the Yankees, Oakland, White Sox, Angels and Tampa Bay (!).

Chizip said:
I think Ted Lilly will be pretty good. 3 out of the past 4 years he's put up an ERA a little over 4 in the brutal AL East. Going to the NL central I could see him putting up a 3.8 type ERA.

I'm actually nervous about the Cubs this year.

But's it's a good kind of nervous...as opposed to "I'm nervous because they have no f*ckin' chance this year".

The Cubs could be a very good team...or a very expensive team...:shifty:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
looks like the cubs free spending ways this off season may have screwed them...

The Cubs are still in a position to offer Zambrano close to, if not exactly, what he wants. Do I think he can get a Barry Zito deal from them? Money wise probably, length wise, probably not.

and this is why the Cubs are the loveable losers

Oft-injured Kerry Wood is out again -- this time because of a flub in a hot tub.

The Chicago Cubs pitcher is not expected to throw off the mound for a few days after he slipped this week getting out of a hot tub at home. Wood landed on his stomach and chest.

buahahahahahaha

That story reminds me of when New York Met pitcher, Bobby Ojeda cut his finger clipping his hedges. I think that was back in 1987.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom