the Mark Knopfler appreciation & adoration thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the rockin edge

Blue Crack Addict
since there are no threads about him here that i could find. :tsk:

i only started listening to his music (solo & with dire straits) a year and a half ago, but in that short time i've become convinced of his brilliance. an amazing guitar player for sure, but not only that, the whole musical arrangements in his songs are awesome. Telegraph Road may be one of best songs ever written, genius!:bow: he knows how to build a song perfectly to it's peak and then let it explode.:drool:

i saw him in concert last summer, and it was one of the best shows i've been to.:drool:

so who else out there is a Knopfler fan? i know you're out there.:sexywink:

MARK-KNOPFLER.gif

go on, appreciate & adore! :angry:

Wow, does he look different from the Brothers In Arms days!!! :ohmy: :lol:

I have their greatest hits cd titled Sultans Of Swing which I very much love. But overall I don't know or have too much more material.

Walk of Life
Sultans of Swing
Money for Nothing

:drool::drool::drool:

I've only heard those Dire Straits songs, but I'll probably iTunes-browse some more tomorrow.

Mark Knopfler is such an incredible guitarist, and Telegraph Road deserves every word of praise it receives. That song is far and away the best Dire Straits song ever and one of my favourite songs of all time. :drool:

Telegraph Road is brilliant, little more needs to be said about it than that.

He's one of the cleanest sounding, most technically proficient guitar players there is. He's a great songwriter too, and that's pretty rare.

Some of my favourites:
Darling Pretty
Love Over Gold
Boom, Like That
Sailing to Philadelphia
Romeo and Juliet
Where Do You Think You're Going?
Tunnel of Love
Why Aye Man
Quality Shoe [it's just so campy, and yet it's totally wonderful]

We share a birthday.

And that's my contribution to this thread.

Sultans of swing
Money for nothing

brothers in arms

:drool: :drool: :drool: desert island material.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Walk of Life
Sultans of Swing
Money for Nothing

I've only heard those Dire Straits songs, but I'll probably iTunes-browse some more tomorrow.

Check out So Far Away, Tunnel of Love, Heavy Fuel. Calling Elvis may just be the best song about Elvis ever.

Knopfler is definitely a genius :up:

LemonMacPhisto said:
Walk of Life
Sultans of Swing
Money for Nothing

i uploaded this because everyone should hear telegraph road, so here's a live version.

http://www.ysi.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DC58DB620942D74E

:drool:

that file is an AAC, so if anyone can't play that and needs an mp3 i'll upload that as well.

I saw him a few weeks ago (together with Emmylou Harris :drool: ). Great concert! And their latest album is very good too :up: (All The Roadrunning).

Dire Straits was the first band I really got into. Over the course of 18 months I got all their CDs up to that point (with On Every Street being my latest purchase in September 1991). A few weeks later I bought Rattle And Hum and discovered a 'new' favourite band. And never looked back...
Still, he and Dire Straits have a special place in my heart. My first big concert was also a Dire Straits concert (May 1992).

:up:

Brilliant! I don't get it when people call Dire Straits really dull and boring :huh: :tsk:

The whole of Love over gold is amazing! :yes: :up:

Telegraph road's a total epic!!! :rockon:

I saw them back in '83 at the Dominion in London when they played at the 1st Prince's trust rock gala :love: :happy:

Them and Duran Duran - what a night that was - I felt like a celeb going up the stairs with all the boy's wives&g/friends in to the theatre!!!! :dancing: :faint:

I reckon they're great music to go driving along too in the car - chilled out going past brilliant countrside/scenery!

Of course, they were one of the highlight's of Live Aid, alongside U2&Queen :drool:

He's one of the best rock guitarists ever, and I like his fingerpicking style. I like his older stuff better - can't say I'm too thrilled with his change of genre as of late.

Amazing band and really hes one of the best guitarists of our time....much under rated much like Edge :)

I love Mark Knopfler:heart::bow: he is so amazing,...my husband and I have seen him 4-5 times now..we go whenever we get the chance. I love Dire Straits..I grew up with them and U2 (both parent were huge fans:up: ) but I also love his new stuff, he writes some really beautiful songs.....*crosses fingers for a Bono & Mark collaboration:combust:

Last edited:
Have you guys noticed that very often when you walk into some hifi shop, they're playing Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler to demonstrate the equipment?

Back
Top Bottom