The lonely annual AFL thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
saints are playing port aren't they?
i end up going for whoever is the non victorian team once the perpetual losers (the swans) are knocked out.
:wink:

Yep.

...Because for once Port didn't choke in the finals! :D I feel for the Saints, having to play at AAMI stadium. Could they play anywhere more hostile?

It's looking very close between Brisbane and Geelong right now. I can't believe I'm watching, but a trip to Melbourne next week rides upon the result, and I'm on the verge of hoping Brisbane lose so I can be home for Vertigo. Could the grand final have been scheduled to be played on any worse weekend? Bah.

god i hope the lions get up.
i even cheered a bit for akermanis (sp) while watching dinner
:mad:

the things i do for this sport...honestly...!

Well, the Lions won.

I'm not sure if I'm happy or disappointed.

Port. So it's an interstate grand final. Would that be the first time ever?

...Mrr. Oh yay. Yay yay yay yay yay. -.-

And yep, that would be the first interstate Grand Final. Did I say yay? Yay.

Brisbane had better win now, cos I won't stand for Port winning a Grand Final.

I can imagine the state of Victoria's going to be pretty annoyed about the fact it's an interstate grand final ... I wish they'd hold it at the 'Gabba, just so I can be home for Vertigo! Damn them.

In any case, go Brisbane! And go my freakin' awesome seats at the MCG!

Hey, Renne, am I to presume you are the Renne I know from LJ?

Personally I don't really mind, as I'm not the footy fanatic I used to be. ;) I'll still watch it and cheer and stuff, but... yeah. Besides, it's not like I support a Victorian club anymore anyway. :D

Awesome seats? Hurrah, you! I have never been to the football. Mum says she's going to take me to a game where our teams play next season. And I'm going to hold her to it!

Er. Yes. :D

I think it's pretty funny really, and makes for an interesting change. Victoria needs to get used to the fact that it doesn't have a stranglehold on the AFL any more.

I find it amusing that this will be my third AFL game, second grand final, and I'm not even a fan. Most people would probably hate my seats - right up the top floor of the Great Southern Stand - but considering my vision and my use of binoculars, they couldn't be better. I'm very pleased.

Not as if you made it obvious through the screen name and all ...

Hah, no, it's nothing obvious at all. If anyone were to guess it without me informing them whatsoever, I would assume they are some really clever stalker, or a hacker who got lucky and opened the right file on my hard drive. Don't ask me where I came up with Axver initially, all I know is it was somewhere in my seven year old imagination! I've always been a writer, and in the main story I've worked on for ten years now, some of the lead characters (those I'm most attached to) have the last name of Axver. I don't know what prompted me to use it online, but now it's stuck and I use it everywhere.

(And for the record, I don't know if I'm going to the grand final now ... eh, this has turned into a mess ...)

Oh, Victoria is slowly coming to the realisation that it's not the be all and end all of AFL. That being said, I think it wouldn't be right to move the Grand Final from the MCG [not that that's gonna happen, at least not for another 30 years...].

It'll be an interesting feel to be in Melbourne on Grand Final day without a Vic team playing, though. I'm quite intrigued about what it'll be like, myself.

Anyway, I hope that if you do end up going you enjoy yourself. :)

...Speaking of obvious screennames. ;)

'Slowly' being the key word there! It's funny the amount of Victorians I meet who hold AFL to a double standard simply because Brisbane's winning. And I really don't see why the grand final shouldn't be held at the venue of the highest-ranked team to make the final. That's how other codes work ...

Sadly, I'm not going now ... I really would have liked to have been in Melbourne to feel the atmosphere, but I guess my mother will have to tell me all about it instead.

I am never hard to guess. I couldn't create a new screen name if I tried.

about the non-victorian teams playing in the grand final, am i the only Victorian who doesnt care?

praying this grand final is a lot closer than last years :sad:

Ooh yeah, this is going to be a good final, but then again last years match up with Collingwood was supposed to be very close, and we all know how easily the Lions walked all over them. I guess the Lions have the experience of playing these games in their favour, but gee they didnt look that great against Geelong last week. Heres hoping to four in a row for the Lions. I cant wait for Saturday, I will be watching the game at a surf club, on the big screen with lots of mates....:wink:

OzAurora said:
Ooh yeah, this is going to be a good final, but then again last years match up with Collingwood was supposed to be very close, and we all know how easily the Lions walked all over themB]

yeah thanks for that! :wink:
its a pity Shawn Hart (thats how you spell it right?) will miss this week....hes from where i live, and i think hes a good bloke.

ok everyone put in your tips....i know its early.
I'm tipping Port in a close one, and brisbane in a one-sided game.
Port By 6

I hope Brisbane win, because they're not Port. ;)

I don't know how it's going to go through. Brisbane seem to be having a run with injuries, and Port actually made it through to a Grand Final for once instead of bombing out in the first final... technically they're an unknown quantity, because you never really can tell how a team is going to respond to the pressures of a Grand Final.

Just look at what happened to Collingwood. The kids went to pieces. It's entirely possible that the same will happen to Port. But then again, it's also possible that Brisbane will go under the pressure of four Grand Finals straight. Probably not likely, but definitely possible.

Eh. Just rambling. :)

bono_man2002 said:
they've beaten the best side in the AFL

Now you know why they suck. Actually, I'm not sure which team I dislike more right now.

Back
Top Bottom