The List Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. I like the form of the album quite a bit. The duality of the sides. The staccato pop pacing of Side 1 vs the languorous atmospherics of Side 2. Sonically brilliant through and through.

Since we're talking about them in Random, New Order's Technique was recorded in Ibiza and was very influenced by the scene going on there.

Took the rest of popular music just a while longer to catch-up, as usual.

I'm a fan of Lodger. A big fan, actually. I reckon that is the closest that I will ever come to experiencing a drug-addled Ibiza holiday.
IY woke up naked on a beach in Ibiza in 1988. And the first thing he did? He threw on Lodger. The second thing he did was put on clothes.

Cubscat.png

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...

Midnight in a Perfect World
What Does Your Soul Look Like, pt. 1 (Blue Sky Revisit)
The Number Song
What Does Your Soul Look Like, pt. 4
Building Steam With a Grain of Salt
Mutual Slump
Changeling
Stem / Long Stem
Napalm Brain / Scatter Brain
Organ Donor (this being the only one I'm not big on)

Such an amazing album, I can't recommend it highly enough to those who haven't heard it. My favourite of all the instrumental-ish/ambient/trip-hop type albums I've heard, including Massive Attack's albums. Perfect moody, late-night winter driving record.

Favorite Stevie Nicks song: Landslide
Favorite Lindsey Buckingham song: Big Love or The Ledge or Never Going Back Again, he's hardest for me to choose
Favorite Christine McVie song: You Make Loving fun

Favorite Fleetwood Mac song? Landslide

In general, I am falling head over heels in love with Fleetwood Mac

Of what I've heard?

Probably part of my 100 favorite albums ever:
Fleetwood Mac
Rumors
Tusk

An unexpected great album:
Mirage

Three or four great hits and then uh...wow why did the 80s happen to Fleetwood Mac:
Tango in the Night

I highly recommend checking out the reunion album Say You Will. It's all Stevie and Lindsey songs as Christine opted out of the project, and it's def a few tracks to long, but some VERY good stuff, though you'll have to get used to Stevie's weathered vocals.

It's definitely better than Tango in the Night (even if it rarely hits that album's peaks), and prob Mirage as well.

The title track is my favorite, which features a surprisingly endearing children's chorus near the end:

YouTube - Fleetwood Mac - Say You Will

This one is damned good, too:

YouTube - Fleetwood Mac - Thrown Down

And a Lindsey song, one that was previously played on the live reunion album The Dance (also well-worth checking out, esp. for an INSANE acoustic solo version of Big Love which has to be seen to be believed):

YouTube - Fleetwood Mac - Bleed to love her

I highly recommend checking out the reunion album Say You Will. It's all Stevie and Lindsey songs as Christine opted out of the project, and it's def a few tracks to long, but some VERY good stuff, though you'll have to get used to Stevie's weathered vocals.

It's definitely better than Tango in the Night (even if it rarely hits that album's peaks), and prob Mirage as well.

And a Lindsey song, one that was previously played on the live reunion album The Dance (also well-worth checking out, esp. for an INSANE acoustic solo version of Big Love which has to be seen to be believed):

I want to listen to one of their early albums first (Then Play On?), but I'll check out Say You Will afterwards. Shame about the lack of Christine, but I think I'll live.

The highs on Tango in the Night are pretty high for me (Hell, our exit the church song at our wedding was "Everywhere"), but yeah, I just couldn't get much of anything out of the songs that weren't singles.

I actually own The Dance. Picked it up at a garage sale for a buck, and was very glad I did.

Then Play On is on a separate, highly-advanced planet in relation to Say You Will, but it's also a radically different band.

I actually like the majority of Tango. I'd rate it higher than Mirage, which is kind of weak apart from the singles.

As for Say You Will, it's good, but I prefer the solo Buckingham versions of certain songs.

Organ Donor (this being the only one I'm not big on)

Have you heard the Extended Overhaul of Organ Doner from Preemptive Strike? It's definitely one of my favorite DJ Shadow songs, the album version doesn't even compare! Give it a look on Youtube or something, I think you'll like it. I've never actually listened to The Outsider, have you? I've heard it's ok, just nothing like the rest of his work.

To not sin against the thread with discussion and no lists, here's a random list of songs I'm enjoying lately (no artist named more than once):

Fleet Foxes - 'Helplessness Blues'
The National - 'Terrible Love (Alternate Version)'
Beastie Boys - 'Ok'
Okkervil River - 'The Valley'
Low - 'Try To Sleep'
Morrissey - 'Jack the Ripper'
Harry Nilsson - 'Jump Into The Fire'
Dirty Projectors - 'Rise Above'
Mos Def - 'Priority'
Shearwater - 'The Snow Leopard'

Have you heard the Extended Overhaul of Organ Doner from Preemptive Strike? It's definitely one of my favorite DJ Shadow songs, the album version doesn't even compare! Give it a look on Youtube or something, I think you'll like it. I've never actually listened to The Outsider, have you? I've heard it's ok, just nothing like the rest of his work.

No Endtroducing is the only of his I've heard. I too have read/heard that all his other work is "just ok", compared with Endtroducing, which I think can very well be classified as a masterpiece.

I'll give this overhaul a listen. Do you have the double disc Endtroducing? With the bonus disc, Excessive Ephemera? It's well worth it, got some interesting mixes, particularly Cut Chemist's remix of The Number Song, which changes the tone completely.

No Endtroducing is the only of his I've heard. I too have read/heard that all his other work is "just ok", compared with Endtroducing, which I think can very well be classified as a masterpiece.

I'll give this overhaul a listen. Do you have the double disc Endtroducing? With the bonus disc, Excessive Ephemera? It's well worth it, got some interesting mixes, particularly Cut Chemist's remix of The Number Song, which changes the tone completely.

I actually like The Private Press a lot. It's no Endtroducing, but then again, what is?

Do you have the double disc Endtroducing? With the bonus disc, Excessive Ephemera? It's well worth it, got some interesting mixes, particularly Cut Chemist's remix of The Number Song, which changes the tone completely.

I have just the old school one disc, maybe I should pick the remaster up then. Sounds good.

My favorite song on the album now.

Same here. It's weird how it's the only song I was really familiar with before the album came out, but I some how like it even more now that I can hear it in the context of the album.

is this cos of the LCD gig? or you already knew the song?

Local indie station plays it a lot here, so I did know of it before the show. Finally bought the song on iTunes after the show though.

I actually like The Private Press a lot. It's no Endtroducing, but then again, what is?

Agreed. It's not bad at all.

My 6 most listened to songs this year according to Last FM:

1. Destroyer – Kaputt
2. Okkervil River – Wake And Be Fine
3. Echo & The Bunnymen – Bring On The Dancing Horses
4. Mogwai – Rano Pano
5. Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
5. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart – Heart In Your Heartbreak

My 5 most listened to songs from this year according to Last.FM:

1. Radiohead - Lotus Flower
2. Childish Gambino - Freaks and Geeks
3. Tyler, the Creator - Sandwitches
4. Lykke Li - I Follow Rivers
5. James Blake - Limit to Your Love

I never would have guessed it would look like that.

mine:

Outkast - Slump
LCD Soundsystem - Home
Outkast - Aquemini
LCD Soundsystem - Get Innocuous!
Destroyer - Blue Eyes

not even remotely surprising. I'm surprised a non-Outkast/LCD track slipped in there at all.

1. Destroyer – Kaputt

That is some rockin' shit. I had a job briefly as a runner at a law firm last semester and I'll be damned if I didn't listen to that album almost every day in the car around town.

I say briefly because I mistakenly gave other co-workers someone's order of free cookies, but that's a story for another day.

My favorite songs (at least at the moment) from the bands I like (some of them):

U2: Unforgettable Fire
Depeche Mode: Never Let me Down Again
The Police: Synchronicity II
Soda Stereo: En la ciudad de la furia
Duran Duran: Wild Boys
REM: Losing My Religion
INXS: Original Sin
Virus: Imágenes Paganas
The Beatles: Hey Jude-Yesterday
Simple Minds: New Gold Dream-Don´t you (this one only studio version)

January Albums (6)
1. Destroyer - Kaputt
2. The Go! Team - Rolling Blackouts
3. Tennis - Cape Dory
4. The Decemberists - The King Is Dead
5. Iron & Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean
6. Hercules and Love Affair - Blue Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom