The List Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fffff if I'd been alive during the Joshua Tree tour...you bastard :lol: Seriously, it sucks having just about one band only that I want to see on tour, and that band currently not being on tour.

He's pretty surprisingly good solo. I was even more surprised though to learn he wanted to play the quieter music all along...not what I'd guessed :lol:

I'm a complete and utter bastard, agreed.

I certainly did not suspect that of Westerberg back in the day.....

My list of bands or performers that I really want to see, yet have not, is dwindling, thankfully....though, there are always new bands that come along that add to the list....I'll knock two of the newer ones off of the list this summer. Saw Prince a few months ago, he was high on my list of artists I needed to see, and he did not disappoint.

My list of bands or performers that I really want to see, yet have not, is dwindling, thankfully....though, there are always new bands that come along that add to the list....I'll knock two of the newer ones off of the list this summer. Saw Prince a few months ago, he was high on my list of artists I needed to see, and he did not disappoint.

See, but that sucks for me (and my generation). I discovered live music really REALLY late...I'm 18ish now and I only became really musically aware about 2 years ago :doh: and saw my first concert (U2) a couple months ago. There's next to no one other than them I really want to see live at this point :/ all the 80s bands I think are cool are mostly ridiculously old and not as skilled as U2 at this point, most likely. *sigh* I guess I need to find some new obscure punk bands or something.

I did! I did! More than once! :wave:

I hate you. Were they great? Or just drunk? XD

See, but that sucks for me (and my generation). I discovered live music really REALLY late...I'm 18ish now and I only became really musically aware about 2 years ago :doh: and saw my first concert (U2) a couple months ago. There's next to no one other than them I really want to see live at this point :/ all the 80s bands I think are cool are mostly ridiculously old and not as skilled as U2 at this point, most likely. *sigh* I guess I need to find some new obscure punk bands or something.

You're insanely young which means you have so much time to discover so much music that's "new" to you.....but on the flip-side, there is still great, new music being made today, music even geezers like Joyful and myself like.....and they're not even obscure or punk bands. :)

My first concert ever was when I was 16, and I'd say that I got into music that was not typical teen fare when I first got into HS.

You're wonderfully, youthfully exuberant, that's all that matters.

You saw them a few times? Sweet.

Aw.

I saw the Mats at the Beacon in NYC a couple of times. They were in great form when I saw them. No bad behavior, although maybe just a little bit weirded out by the Beacon, which was kind of a fancy theater compared to the dives they were used to.

Yeah...good point...I mean, my mom was alive in the 70s and 80s and she wasn't into U2. And no chance she could have seen Joy Division live as they never did make it to the US. And she'd never heard of the Replacements.

I just need to find bands that are good and not from back then :lol:

Aw. I saw the Mats at the Beacon a couple of times. They were in great form when I saw them.

I have few regrets in life but a small one would be not taking better advantage of all the great concert-going opportunities I had while growing up in NYC.

Glad you saw them, let alone when they were in great form. That's awesome.

Sounds awesome.

I'm in Oakland, so there...basically are no great concert-going opportunities :giggle: No regrets for me.

Yeah...good point...I mean, my mom was alive in the 70s and 80s and she wasn't into U2. And no chance she could have seen Joy Division live as they never did make it to the US. And she'd never heard of the Replacements.

I just need to find bands that are good and not from back then :lol:

This site often drives me bat-shit insane, for myriad reasons....but one thing it's been great for since the day I joined is exposing me to music I might not have gravitated towards or even heard of on my own.....go into Bang & Clatter and you'll see threads dedicated to just one band....maybe you'll stumble on a few that meet with your approval.

This site often drives me bat-shit insane, for myriad reasons....but one thing it's been great for since the day I joined is exposing me to music I might not have gravitated towards or even heard of on my own.....go into Bang & Clatter and you'll see threads dedicated to just one band....maybe you'll stumble on a few that meet with your approval.

It tends to happen by total accident...might go and investigate though. Although there is a surprising amount of just about everything I listen to that somehow relates back to U2 o_O

I lived in Alameda for a year, late 2009 - late 2010, and I saw a few great shows at The Fox Theater.

Maybe it says something about my directional skills that I haven't heard of that theater...or I'm just uninformed...ehh...*google*

I have few regrets in life but a small one would be not taking better advantage of all the great concert-going opportunities I had while growing up in NYC.

Glad you saw them, let alone when they were in great form. That's awesome.

Before mofo comes in here with his musket...

Most memorable shows I saw at the Beacon:

1. Roy Orbison
2. Sinead O'Connor
3. The Replacements
4. Van Morrison
5. Bob Dylan

/old-as-dirt confessions

Well, now I've looked through waaay too many bands that may or may not be in Baltimore (moving for college) in the next month or so...you old people are corrupting me! :lol: I will be penniless and living in stadiums...

Top 10 post-punk albums:

1. Television - Marquee Moon
2. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
3. U2 - Boy
4. Talking Heads - Fear of Music
5. The Sound - Jeopardy
6. The Cure - Faith
7. Magazine - Real Life
8. Echo and the Bunnymen - Crocodiles
9. Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
10. Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth

The Replacements :drool:

Dude, that is not fair :lol: I wish I'd been alive to see them or at least be around to try to. I think I found out about them from someone from IF, actually...can't remember who, for the life of me...anyway, I got 'Tim' and then 'Let It Be', loved both and got way more albums, and keep looking back at old interviews and thinking Paul Westerberg got where U2 were...the point where they said (when they were young) they wanted to stop making music when they were old...and it's so odd...

:up:

Pleased To Meet Me, FTW, personally. And it's the only album where Paul has sole guitar duties, and IMO he's better than Bob ever was, and I'm not sure why they bothered to get another guitarist after that album.

That being said, I never did see The Replacements in concert.

Did I mention I saw The Replacements twice? And that the second time was their last show EVER? At the Taste of Chicago?

go into Bang & Clatter and you'll see threads dedicated to just one band....maybe you'll stumble on a few that meet with your approval.

We're already in Bang & Clatter.

jackass.

The Replacements embody everything that I love about rock music. The riffs are big and dumb on Let It Be, but they're betrayed by the wit of the lyrics and ardor of their delivery. That classic run of albums shows an extraordinarily gifted band playing youthful rock music that they slowly grow to master and twist into other forms. They're a radically different band by the time you get to Pleased To Meet Me, yet the transition feels natural because the songwriting is so good.

Definitely one of my favorite bands ever.

Sorry, Ma and Don't Tell A Soul are my favorite Replacements albums.
They also happen to be my only Replacements albums...

The Replacements embody everything that I love about rock music. The riffs are big and dumb on Let It Be, but they're betrayed by the wit of the lyrics and ardor of their delivery. That classic run of albums shows an extraordinarily gifted band playing youthful rock music that they slowly grow to master and twist into other forms. They're a radically different band by the time you get to Pleased To Meet Me, yet the transition feels natural because the songwriting is so good.

Definitely one of my favorite bands ever.

There is definitely a progression, and Pleased shows a variety and a sophistication that is naturally arrived at. But keep in mind that something like Nightclub Jitters is not that far removed from something like Androgynous on Let It Be. And that I Will Dare and Seen Your Video (to name two, there's arguably more) sound just as if not more polished than anything on Pleased. Really, these three albums are so close in terms of quality and range of style that I do consider them to be mirrors of the Stones run of Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile on Main Street.

It should also be said that they were already genre-hopping an album earlier on Hootenanny, which deserves to be grouped with the three albums following it. It has less in common with Sorry Ma and Stink, and more in common with Let It Be than Don't Tell A Soul does with Pleased. BIG drop there. The only downside of Hootenanny is that it doesn't have as many standout tracks and some feel more like sketches than songs (which is why it's no Beggar's Banquet). But I love a little lark like Lovelines (which swings, and Within Your Reach shows how much Paul had grown even to that point.

Sorry, Ma and Don't Tell A Soul are my favorite Replacements albums.
They also happen to be my only Replacements albums...

I liked Don't Tell A Soul a lot when I bought it (it was my first, as I had seen the video for I'll Be You on MTV), but looking back, it's their slickest, and IMO coldest album. Very dated. I know All Shook Down gets dismissed as too mellow and more like a Paul solo album, but the songs overall are much stronger.

Sorry Ma is fun but it's rather generic considering what else was around during that time. I love Paul's solo on Johnny's Gonna Die, and there are some other standouts like Customer, Rattlesnake, I Hate Music...

You need to get more of their stuff. This song from the follow-up EP to Sorry Ma is better than anything on there.

‪The Replacements - Kids Don't Follow‬‏ - YouTube

Concerts I Have Seen (official tours and local artists)
1. Susan Greenbaum, at the outdoor mall
2. The English Channel (60's tribute band, I think), at that awesme outdoor stage in the park... I think...
3. Casting Pearls at my school
4. That other 60's/70's tribute band that I forgot the name of, also at the mall. (My parents are to blame.)
5. David Archuleta at the National theater, 2/25/09
6. U2 at M&T Bank Stadium, 6/22/11
7. Susan Greenbaum at the park my mom works at

At least I'm young and can see more GOOD concerts later...

Artists I Want To See Live
1. U2 again :crack:
2. Thriving Ivory
3. The Script
4. Colbie Caillat (I almost did twice but missed the oppotunity, so yeah)

My problem in regards to actually knocking artists off the list of people I want most to see live is this:

1.) The Cure - Not touring, will they ever again? I hope so
2.) McCartney - Already missed him once when I had a chance to go, and now this weekend is proving two more opportunities, but I'm just too busy with obligations at my Church
3.) The Rolling Stones
4.) David Bowie - HAH!
5.) Colin Hay - I just keep fucking missing him is all

So, what I'm getting at is, all the bands I want to see are old as fuck/super expensive/never ever touring againDavidBowieI'mtalkingaboutyou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom