The latest Star Wars films - what is the point?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Mirrorball Man:
So everyone knows what's going to happen. Where's the excitement? In the next film Obi Wan can get into as many scrapes as he wants, but we know he isn't going to die. And Anakin can go through loads of mood swings but we know what happens to him. The Empire Strikes Back ended on a cliffhanger and that was interesting because nobody knew that answers for sure.

As for lots of people going to see Titanic even though they knew the ending, I don't understand that either. At least that was only one film, Star Wars is three!

Okay, yes, we know that a few of the characters survive to the next trilogy: Anakin, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, C-3PO, R2-D2, Owen and Beru Lars, Palpatine, Boba Fett, and Bail Organa (who dies in the destruction of Alderaan).

Padme presumably survives at the end of Episode III, to pass away when Leia's very young (see Return of the Jedi).

But there are quite a few fates who are uncertain: Mace Windu, Ki-Adi-Mundi (presumably Palpatine and Vader wipe the Jedi out), Jar Jar Binks, Watto, Jango Fett, and - most importantly - Shmi Skywalker.

Besides, it's the journey and not necessarily the destination. That Anakin falls is no surprise to anyone who's seen the Classic Trilogy (or anyone who can read between the telegraphed lines like "The boy is dangerous; everyone else can see it, why can't you?"). But the questions are how, and why? What events pull him to the Dark Side, and why would such a good kid become so evil and commit a betrayal on the scale of Cain, Judas, Saruman - and even Satan himself?

Again, Titanic isn't the only (or even best) example. Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet gives away the barn in the fricking prologue:

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
Whole misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.
The fearful passage of their death-mark'd love,
And the continuance of their parents' rage,
Which, but their children's end, nought could remove,
Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;
The which if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend.

And yet, the play is one of the most popular, most performed, most enjoyed, and most praised plays in the English language. Again, what happens that leads them to their fate is so interesting.

In fact, I'd say many movies improve once you know the ending, The Shawshank Redemption being a GREAT example.

Either way, I don't see the big deal of the Prequel Trilogy being three movies and knowing what the outcome is.

What's the point of the Star Wars films?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

smile.gif

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by hermes:
I can think of at least a few responses:

Twelve Monkeys
Brazil
Blade Runner

Those are 3 of my favourite movies of all time! Good work

thanks, I'm glad someone agrees with me.

For me growing up, Blade Runner was what Star Wars was for most people.

I hear a special edition DVD is coming out this year.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:

Besides, it's the journey and not necessarily the destination.

This is the point--with the new Star Wars movies, with watching the old Star Wars movies again, with watching a great movie adaptation of a great book, with reading the same great books over and over and over again (which I do) or listening to the same music again and again. We don't even know exactly what's going to happen in Episode II and III, whereas I know exactly what's going to happen in The Lord of the Rings, which I have seen twice and am currently rereading. But it's the process. That's what moves people.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
The POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Han Solo

Well, OF COURSE.
biggrin.gif

But he isn't in the new ones.
frown.gif
And Liam Neeson didn't make it out of the first one.
frown.gif

------------------

-ACROB@T

Achtung Bubba: the bottom line is - you love the movie, I realy don't.

It's great to have a normal discussion with someone in this forum and not dissing anyone for his taste - thank you for that

and I also think that's it's not important if we know the ending - the only thing that's important is that (sory I have to say it again) I have no respect for EI, I hope it'll get better - but when I saw the trailer it seemed like a teen/spanish soap - last 10 seconds pulled it out a little bit...

scatteroflight: you go man, at last someone who saw LOTR more than once...

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Originally posted by Marko:

Wow, I know several people who have seen it at least twice or probably will see it at least twice! I saw it again three-four weeks after the first time and right then I was feeling like the only one who'd just seen it once!

------------------

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Wow, I know several people who have seen it at least twice or probably will see it at least twice! I saw it again three-four weeks after the first time and right then I was feeling like the only one who'd just seen it once!

I saw it 3 times, and I would like to see it again, but I'm afraid that it would indicate that something is wrong with me. When I saw it 3rd time I was the most excited off all the people who went with me, and it was 1st time for all of them. The movie just gets better and better, the details are awsome... I could write a essey about it now so I better stop...

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Originally posted by Marko:

I saw LOTR:FOTR three times, actually, and thoroghly enjoyed it (enough to also get the soundtrack).

(Of course I saw SW:TPM fifteen times, counting five free showings at school...)

I'm just saying, give Clones a chance.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 02-07-2002).]

Hi Zooman91. There was a second series of Galactica in which they found Earth. Hardly any of the original cast were used and the series was just total pants. I heard a rumour about 6 months ago that a revival is being planned.

------------------
Rain from Heaven.

"You really shouldn't be doing that and you know it."

TRON!

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Back
Top Bottom