The Killers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rolling Stone article
However flamboyant his icons may be, Flowers, at heart, is all about sincerity. Earlier, we spoke about the similarities between Bruce Springsteen and U2. Flowers says that he recently figured out how to play "Thunder Road" on the piano. "That song has my favorite line", he says, shaking his head with a sheepish grin. "I'm such a sucker. It's 'Hey, what else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair/Well, the night's busting out open, these two lanes will take us anywhere.' I'm one of those people who really rolls down the window at that point!" He shakes his head again. "Springsteen, U2 - it's hard to pull off something that big and sincere without being corny. But they do it."

I don't like the Killers but I like Flowers' quote:up:

Saw them at Glastonbury. Top show. Seeing them in Cardiff opening for U2, which should be fun!

I thought "All These Things that Ive done" was one of live 8's top songs. Cool video, excellent production. I hope they make it big

I've been bashing them a lot all over this forum. I still think the vocals are monotone and there is nothing special about the music.

But after listening to the new single, I can say I actually like one (and only one) of their songs.

I just think "I've got soul but I'm not a soldier" is a bad line.

Seen them THRICE now! (and in the space of one week)

giving my sister's copy of Hot Fuss a listen now :wink: great stuff.

"I've got soul but I'm not soldier" is a goofy line but I still support the "lifestyle music" of The Killers. They are real good at "approximation." They've got that new wave dance rock sound with some Edge guitar. Isn't that unique?

I also like the lead singer's voice. Monotone is good for me as long as he can sing.

Flying FuManchu said:
"I've got soul but I'm not soldier" is a goofy line but I still support the "lifestyle music" of The Killers. They are real good at "approximation." They've got that new wave dance rock sound with some Edge guitar. Isn't that unique?

It may be unique in terms of style blending, but they approximate the spirit of their influences, I think. They have yet to find a unique spirit of their own. Plenty of time, though.

saw them yesterday in amsterdam...love the record...the bands i've seen have been pretty mazing opening for u2...the killers are a cathcy band and i lik eit..th ey have a nice sound going

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier..:wink:

I liked Mr Brightside and I liked all these things that i've done then i bought the album. to be honest it was an absolute disappointment. I know it is impossible to write original music but it just felt like i'd heard all the songs somewhere before. To me they lost all credibilty by releasing Somebody Told Me. Brandon Flowers ponces around like an idiot aswell. I don't know where all you guys are from but I thought Mr Brightside was the 1st single. Definitely one of the 2 most overrated bands of recent (along with franz ferdiand)

Anyone who has seen them open for U2, what was their setlist, if they can remember? I'm curious to know.

Flying FuManchu said:
"I've got soul but I'm not soldier" is a goofy line

I love The Killers, and I like that line...but it gets killed (no pun intended) because it's repeated too many times.

U2Fan101 said:
Anyone who has seen them open for U2, what was their setlist, if they can remember? I'm curious to know.

If I still remember correctly, with no particular sequence:
- Jenny was a friend of mine;
- Mr. Brightside;
- Smile like you mean it;
- Somebody told me;
- All these things that I've done;
- Andy, you're a star;
- On top;
- Change your mind;
- Midnight Show;
- Glamorous indie rock and roll;

Saw them last week at Oxegen...they were very very good..excellent live band now:yes:

There new song All The Pretty Faces i think is brilliant. I am going to upload the bootleg for everyone to hear.

I'm seeing The Killers in two days!! :hyper:

I think their debut album is solid...Somebody Told Me is still one of my favourite songs from it, the song that hooked me the first time I heard it. It sounded so European to me and it reminded me a lot of U2 (the "helicopter" guitar during the verses - New Year's Day, anyone? and the bridge riff is sorta Edgey) and it was so WEIRD and I loved it. I also love Mr. Brightside, On Top, Change Your Mind, and Midnight Show (very I Will Follow). Every song on the album I'd say is good.

If I have one major complaint about The Killers, it's the lyrics... they're decent, but what gets me more than anything is the repetition. I can't stand it when bands use the same verse twice. It's like, christ, could you really not think of ANY more lyrics? Even U2 tended to avoid that (I know there are some exceptions, but the majority).

Oh well. I still think they're great fun. Not necessarily a brilliant band, but quite enjoyable.

achtung_zoo said:
are they opening for u2 in the fall leg of the US tour? if its not them does anyone know who is?

No one knows yet but it will not be The Killers...they are going into the studio around then and they need a break anyway they have been touring non-stop for 2 years now.

achtung_zoo said:
are they opening for u2 in the fall leg of the US tour? if its not them does anyone know who is?

Don't think so, considering the end of their summer/fall tour overlaps with the beginning of the 3rd leg. They are playing Long Beach on October 6th. The day after my Birthday! I had better get tix.

There is still some hope that they could play the later dates, like Elevation with Garbage/No Doubt.

AtomicBono said:
I'm seeing The Killers in two days!! :hyper:

I think their debut album is solid...Somebody Told Me is still one of my favourite songs from it, the song that hooked me the first time I heard it. It sounded so European to me and it reminded me a lot of U2 (the "helicopter" guitar during the verses - New Year's Day, anyone? and the bridge riff is sorta Edgey) and it was so WEIRD and I loved it. I also love Mr. Brightside, On Top, Change Your Mind, and Midnight Show (very I Will Follow). Every song on the album I'd say is good.

If I have one major complaint about The Killers, it's the lyrics... they're decent, but what gets me more than anything is the repetition. I can't stand it when bands use the same verse twice. It's like, christ, could you really not think of ANY more lyrics? Even U2 tended to avoid that (I know there are some exceptions, but the majority).

Oh well. I still think they're great fun. Not necessarily a brilliant band, but quite enjoyable.

Have fun:wink: The rest of the world version of the album has Glamorous Indie Rock 'n' Roll on it instead of Change Your Mind...i like Indie R 'n' R more than Change your Mind to be honest..its an ironic take the piss out of indie scenesters kinda thing good fun:yes: Also some of the B-sides are excellent too..Under the Gun which they will probably play live when you see them..The Ballad of Michael Vallentine, Who Let You Go..are probably their best B-sides so far but pretty good material for B-sides.

They also have a cover of Find Out For Yourself by Morrissey which is also excellent. Oh yeh they also have a version of On Top where they go into Time by Pink Floyd at the end of it..nice wee medley:cool:

Just found this out about Brandon Flowers, interesting.

see below:

You had a Mormon upbringing. Was your experimentation with fashion and make up allowed? Were you a bit of a rebel?
I wouldn't say I was a rebel, but I don't think the make-up would go down so well at church.

Does religion still play an important part in your life?
Oh yes. I believe in God and everything very much. My faith is very important.

Do your religious values impact how you feel about gays and their equal rights?
No. I think everybody should have equal rights. The church that I am in has never been opposed to that. It is a very tolerant gathering

db9

I like them a lot, but they're going to have to come out with a really strong second album if they want to stick around.

1st half of the album is good. 2nd half is crap.

all goes downhill after 'On Top' (the best song on the album imo)

Does anybody have an mp3 of Andy, You're a Star (Radio 1 Session) from the All These Things That I've Done 7" vinyl? I would love to get a copy!

Thanks!

I think Hot Fuss is one of the most deliciously enjoyable debuts ever!!! :love: Don't know why I waited till 2006 to listen to this album fully. :banghead: Literally every song is just fantastic, guilty pleasure or not! Every song from tracks 1 - 9 is rated 5 stars on my itunes. I like Midnight Show and Everything Will Be Alright too but not as much as 1 - 9. Even the 3 bonus tracks are really good. As much as I love Sam's Town, I don't think they have topped Hot Fuss. Gotta love that synth :drool: :drool: :drool:

Back
Top Bottom