The iPod Folder of Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

it all of a sudden wouldn't let me move music into the iPod until i updated the software... and it's when i went to update the software that the folder of death popped up, and my entire ipod is ruined now

:yes:

well, I plugged it in and said it couldn't read the iPod and it was resetting it to factory conditions or something :sad:

then everything was gone, and now when I plug it back in it says "iPod cannot be mounted"

I'm bringing it to the Apple store tomorrow

www . apple . com / support

I understand you, I've had 5 iPods in a year :D. Just make them know by filling the service request and they will send you a replacement.

Last edited:
That's great Headache. I hope I have an extended warranty.

I got and ihome and an istation for christmas, and because they charge the ipod while it's playing I think my battery-life is getting shorter.

I've always tried to drain the battery before charging it because I'm told that prolongs battery life.

Am I right?

redkat said:
That's great Headache. I hope I have an extended warranty.

I got and ihome and an istation for christmas, and because they charge the ipod while it's playing I think my battery-life is getting shorter.

I've always tried to drain the battery before charging it because I'm told that prolongs battery life.

Am I right?
No idea, to be honest.
I'm fairly comfortable with fidgety things so I'll just be prying mine open carefully and replacing the battery with one ordered online when the time comes.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

some are misunderstanding the folder of death...

i can't access my iPod... at all. not just a folder, everything. the folder of death is what's being displayed on the iPod's face.

all the files i've purchased are on one of three computers... my old desktop at home, my desktop at work, or the laptop i'm on now... so thankfully i'll be able to reload everything once either figure this shit out or buy a new one... but it's still a pain in the ass... my ipod and me haven't been apart for more than a day or two. i don't know what i'd do with a prolonged absence :sad:

I know how you feel. My U2 iPod that I got last Christmas (2004) had the exact same problem a few months ago, except the folder popped up randomly, not because of updating the software. But there it stayed, preventing me from doing anything on the iPod at all. I kind of felt like part of my soul was missing.

I actually fixed it by...well...dropping it. Seriously. I tried everything Apple had reccommended except wiping the hard drive clean and nothing had worked, so I was going to do that (regrettably, because I actually didn't have all of my music backed up). I got up from the computer to go somewhere and accidently knocked my iPod from the table to the ground, and the folder disappeared!. I don't think I've had a single problem with it since. My friend was really mad - he was like "WELL YOU SHOULD RESTORE THE FIRMWARE BECAUSE JUST DROPPING IT CAN'T FIX WHAT WAS WRONG AND IT'S GONNA FUCK UP AGAIN" but that was last fall sometime, and like I said it's worked perfectly ever since :shrug: Does it make sense? No. Do I reccommend it? No. But it did work for me :wink:

I'm glad you had an extended warranty Headache... three weeks, though. That's tough. You should buy a video iPod to make the wait go by quicker :wink:

stammer476 said:
How did you check what warranty you had? My wife bought mine for me, and I'm not sure if she kept any paperwork.

The serial number will confirm the warranty also. Visit or call the store where your iPod was purchased and they should be able to look up the serial number for you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom