The Interference Symphonic Album Mini-Game Sign-up and Rules Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
Question: When putting them in zipped folders, do I do it all together or individually? Because when I'm doing it altogether the tracks are listed out of the order I'm placing them in, and rather by the track number they have from the album they were in.

Together. People can order the tracks according to the master list if they are out of order.

Alright, I'm uploading now! I should be sending mine out to you and Axver later today.

Screwtape2 said:

It's actually 16.

I have 5 so far. The supertracklist is pretty far along but I'd appreciate any songs people would like to send in.

I thought we had a dropout.

I finally got my concept written out(it's loooong, you're all going to have to do some reading :wink: ). That was difficult. Knowing what you're trying to convey in your head and being able to type it out in coherent sentences and paragraphs are two entirely different things.

Anyway, I'm going to upload my zip file and send you my submission tomorrow, I think.

A question: for the cover art, should I actually embed the image in the e-mail, attatch it to e-mail as a file, or just include a link to the image in the e-mail?

Am I the only who isn't absolutely fantastic in the creativity department and has a pretty just-okish concept? :reject: I'm still putting effort into it, but mine's not really following a story where every song is telling a different part of the story.

namkcuR said:

A question: for the cover art, should I actually embed the image in the e-mail, attatch it to e-mail as a file, or just include a link to the image in the e-mail?

I'd attach or link the image. :)

COBL_04 said:
Am I the only who isn't absolutely fantastic in the creativity department and has a pretty just-okish concept? :reject: I'm still putting effort into it, but mine's not really following a story where every song is telling a different part of the story.

A loose concept is fine. A lot of concept albums are like that. It doesn't have to be a narrative. It could be an album centered around a theme or location or whatever. :)

Now I'm excited about getting to hear these. September 1st can't come soon enough.

Oh wait, yes it can, that means school's coming.

Now there's conflict.

Damn Symphinc Albums.

phillyfan26 said:
Now I'm excited about getting to hear these. September 1st can't come soon enough.

Oh wait, yes it can, that means school's coming.

Now there's conflict.

Damn Symphinc Albums.

The ones I have by the end of Saturday will be e-mailed out to people on Sunday. You'll get those before school starts. :up:

Screwtape2 said:

A loose concept is fine. A lot of concept albums are like that. It doesn't have to be a narrative. It could be an album centered around a theme or location or whatever. :)

Does that make JT or AB concept albums then? Because JT was sort of centred on the whole 'Americana' thing and AB is centred around themes of mostly broken love type ideas...

COBL_04 said:
AB is centred around themes of mostly broken love type ideas...

Just don't ask Axver, cause he'll say, "Achtung Baby has no theme and is not a good example! You lose! Good day, sir!"

COBL_04 said:

Does that make JT or AB concept albums then? Because JT was sort of centred on the whole 'Americana' thing and AB is centred around themes of mostly broken love type ideas...

The Joshua Tree is definitely a concept album. Achtung Baby is not. It doesn't have a solid theme.

One could make an argument that War and Boy are concept albums though.

phillyfan26 said:

Just don't ask Axver, cause he'll say, "Achtung Baby has no theme and is not a good example! You lose! Good day, sir!"

:lol:

And I disagree with Screwtape. U2 has never released a concept album. The closest The Joshua Tree comes to any concept is the "Suite of Death" trio at the end.

Axver said:

:lol:

And I disagree with Screwtape. U2 has never released a concept album. The closest The Joshua Tree comes to any concept is the "Suite of Death" trio at the end.

The Joshua Tree has a loose concept but it is a concept album all the same. It has a location and all the songs confine themselves to that place. It is the impossible struggle to understand America. I'd call that a concept. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:

The Joshua Tree has a loose concept but it is a concept album all the same. It has a location and all the songs confine themselves to that place. It is the impossible struggle to understand America. I'd call that a concept. :wink:

I completely disagree. Streets, WOWY, RTSS, RHMT, OTH, Exit, and MOTD have nothing to do with the US and that's over half the album.

I would define a loose concept album as something like Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream, where everything is tied together by a common theme. Any theme of America is completely absent from RHMT (UK), OTH (NZ), and MOTD (Chile).

Axver said:

I completely disagree. Streets, WOWY, RTSS, RHMT, OTH, Exit, and MOTD have nothing to do with the US and that's over half the album.

I would define a loose concept album as something like Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream, where everything is tied together by a common theme. Any theme of America is completely absent from RHMT (UK), OTH (NZ), and MOTD (Chile).

I think songs like RHMT, Streets and RTSS are based on events that were happening the US and find a home in the America concept. The United States had dying mining towns, drug problems and has that sense wanting to escape the city after being in a place like Africa. That can even happen within just the confines of the US. I find those subjects very much American in the 80's. Exit is another very American song. The hunter mentality is easy to feel within the openness of the United States. The primal prowl is unique to American art. As for MOTD, the US had a role just like in the events of BTBS. It is the uncertainty of America, the dark side if you will. WOWY is very much like the fear a Carver would feel. The only song not having some relation is One Tree Hill. Overall, it is still a concept album.

Screwtape2 said:
I think songs like RHMT, Streets and RTSS are based on events that were happening the US and find a home in the America concept. The United States had dying mining towns, drug problems and has that sense wanting to escape the city after being in a place like Africa.

But that's so generic that you could apply it to almost any song about almost anything. RTSS is explicitly about the Dublin experience, and RHMT is explicitly about mine strikes under the Thatcher government. I could say that New Zealand has dying mining towns (Denniston, anybody?) and drug problems in its major cities, so in conjunction with One Tree Hill and other tracks, JT is clearly a Kiwi concept album. But I wouldn't seriously assert that, because it's a stretch. I feel the whole "JT is a concept album about America" is just as much of a stretch.

I feel that in the attempt to define JT as a concept album about America, you have to reach to common denominators so low that it's outside what you would really call a concept album. Even a loose concept album should have threads that show the songs have some sort of thematic relation; to make OTH, MOTD, and ISHFWILF, you end up grasping at straws.

Exit is another very American song. The hunter mentality is easy to feel within the openness of the United States. The primal prowl is unique to American art.

It actually makes me think of Northern Ireland.

As for MOTD, the US had a role just like in the events of BTBS.

Yes, but while BTBS is specifically about the US involvement, MOTD has nothing to say about the CIA's covert role in Chile. And the US had its hand in almost everything. Does that make Blam Blam Blam's There Is No Depression In New Zealand a song about the US? Because after all, the US was much, much happier with Muldoon than the alternative ...

Screwtape2 said:

The Joshua Tree is definitely a concept album. Achtung Baby is not. It doesn't have a solid theme.

According to wikipedia, all U2 albums are concept albums

"Perhaps the most obvious example of this is with U2. All of U2's albums center on a theme. The songs all reflect this theme. In concert, U2 create their stage shows to showcase the theme of the album the tour is supporting."

Now you can't tell me wikipedia is wrong :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom