The Guys' Gym

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ewen-
3 essentails

1 your diet -salads veggies-everyday
2 lots of cardio - at least 40 min a day
3 weights

then u are on your way.

db9

Last edited:
Tis a mans world, yet I be too feeble and young to be messing in the big lads business now, arrrrrrrrrrrrr

p.s. Glorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriaaaaaaaaaaaaa:|

diamond said:
ewen-
3 essentails

1 your diet -salads veggies-everyday
2 lots of cardio - at least 40 min a day
3 weights

then u are on your way.

db9

i agree diet is very important, people think if you work out than you can eat worse and it will be ok, but the truth is you need to be eating better to be able to sustain the workouts

but you can eat more than just salads and veggies

getting enough protein is key, good foods are turkey, chicken, tuna, eqq whites, cottage cheese....anything with high protein and low fat is great

if you do 40 mins of cardio 3 days a week, and then lift weights the other 3 days a week then that is good, but you should do at least 10 mins of cardio before lifting just for a nice warm up

guinness.gif

my personal health shake

Please don't be angry, I came in here thinking "The Guys" part meant U2, but before I left, I saw that a couple of you just quit smoking, and I wanted to pass this on for what it's worth. I quit last November, and never increased my caloric intake at all, and I have the lumps on my head to prove it, and about three months later, I gained 15 lbs. and was ready to put my fist through a wall, when my pulmonologist said that people gain an average of 15-20 lbs. even if they are as good as gold when they quit, because it is a build up of toxins that hang around for God knows how long until they're ready to flush themselves -- depends on the person. I wanted you to know, because you all seem so serious about the workouts and the diet, and if this happens to you while you're working so hard, you might get discouraged...I'll go back where I belong now. And good luck!

I keep routine fairly simple.....

* I drink whey protein powder 2 or 3 times a day...(this fills you up to) and it also helps burn fat, build muscle, gives energy... I drink it on an empty stomach to make sure its most effective.
* I take Vitamin C tablets daily that help restore and build muscle tissue.
* Then I do an hour in the weight room, rotating muscle groups daily.
* I then run a mile or 2.

Thats what I do Monday through Friday. I used to do it for basketball but now I justdo it for myself.

On May 17th, I weighed 249...this morning, I weighed in at 216...gym every other day without fail, LifeFitness stationary bike no fewer than 16 to 22 miles, no lower than 105 rpm's, level 8 to 10...I feel good!

This is a great thread, I think men should really think about their health at an early age. I'm 39 and I'm in pretty good shape. I think I look better than I ever had, but my energy level just ain't what it was 5 years ago. My diet is mediocre at best (as I sip on a Corona), but I try to eat 3 good meals a day with minimum amount of snacking.

I also lift 4 or 5 times a week, and have been (finally) mixing in a real cardio workout. I also cut back on sodas and went to a lot of water instead...beers are water right?

Hey Mr. BAW great job, it feels good when you start seeing the fruits of your labor isn't it?:applaud:

daily commuting to the office via bike helps me a great deal. over the course of 5 days, i only get 50 kms out of it but supplement it with longer weekend rides (usually between saturday and sunday i'll do 150-200 km).

and i hit the gym every week day morning (each day focus on a specific: legs, arms, shoulder, abs, back) to work out and shower before going to the office.

if you want something carb heavy have it in the morning.

of course i have no kids and no great sleep demands (i can go to bed at 12 and wake up for 6 so as to accomplish everything and arrive at the office for 8) so this all might be a lot easier for someone in my situation.

shaun vox said:
sports !!!

play some sport that you like!!

like basketball!! you run throw and talk trash!! perfect to stay in shape like me :drool:

swimming is good!!

I golf as often as I can, sometimes two to four times per month, but I've taken to leaving the cart to my partner and walking a majority of the round,,,,works!

I'm moving into the dorm at school in 2 weeks from today ( :ohmy: ) and with that comes a free membership to the gym across the street. I figure that an opportunity like this should not be passed up, but it seems that previously whenever I went to go to the gym I never really was sure what I should do for a weight routine/how much cardio to do, etc. So, my question to you guys is what I should be doing in the gym? I'm not looking to get into a bodybuilder's physique or anything, just bigger, with a modest amount of definition.

I'm 5'11" and weigh 120-125, and it shows, I'm insanely skinny. I play hockey, so I'm not out of shape, but I want to be able to build up some muscle.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing in terms of a routine? Keep in mind that I don't want to spend hours every day in the gym.

:)

It just pisses me off the way I exercise for a while and then quit. I had been running pretty heavily from February through April of this year and had jumped from 2 to 6 miles. Then I got sick and then my wife and I got a puppy. And I haven't run since. I am just starting back up again and can only run about 3 miles and am looking way too "soft". If I had kept my running up I would be in great shape now.

I am also going to Hawaii in January so I have to keep at it this time so I don't feel as self-conscious. I am certainly not in bad shape but I know I can do so much better. Plus, I really enjoy the running. I go with the older dog and can listen to my iPod.

Something else fun I discovered recently. We moved into an old house with an old clothesline in back that has an iron bar about 7 feet off the group. Perfect for pull-ups/chin-ups, just about the greatest exercise. :yes:

DaveC said:
I'm moving into the dorm at school in 2 weeks from today ( :ohmy: ) and with that comes a free membership to the gym across the street. I figure that an opportunity like this should not be passed up, but it seems that previously whenever I went to go to the gym I never really was sure what I should do for a weight routine/how much cardio to do, etc. So, my question to you guys is what I should be doing in the gym? I'm not looking to get into a bodybuilder's physique or anything, just bigger, with a modest amount of definition.

I'm 5'11" and weigh 120-125, and it shows, I'm insanely skinny. I play hockey, so I'm not out of shape, but I want to be able to build up some muscle.

Any suggestions on what I should be doing in terms of a routine? Keep in mind that I don't want to spend hours every day in the gym.

:)

Hi DaveC, guess you want an answer, eh?

Well, the main thing would be to target different muscle groups on different days. Chest, Tricep and Shoulder (Deltoids) naturally go together as benching and push ups work on all three, but primarily chest. That leaves biceps, back and legs for the other day. You can throw abs in whenever you want.

It is also important to mix it up. While bench is the most popular choice for the chest, don't just do it the same way everytime. Try it on an incline or even a decline. Also, throw in some flys for your chest as well. It gives more movement. Look online for all the diffenet exercises you can do for each muscle group.

I would also recommend using free weights if you can. Using free weigths forces you to balance in addition to lifting so it helps bulk up. Just make sure you have a partner if you are going to lifting any heavy weights over any portion of your body.

And, lastly, take it SLOW at first. I worked my biceps too heavily the first time and my arms would not straighten for two days. Really sucked.

In terms of cardio, sounds like you may not need it as much. Maybe run a mile or two at the beginning of each workout to get the blood flowing. It helps.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks. I had a gym membership for a while to a different one, but it cost an exorbitant amount of money for a consultation, so all I ended up doing was cardio until my legs burned out and then whatever was available on free weights for about half an hour. Needless to say I was just noodling around, got bored of it and got a refund on my membership a week later.

Back
Top Bottom