The greatest "Swan Songs" ever...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
Ya know.

One of the last tunes written/recorded by someone.

Be it by death or band break up.

The ultimate bookend.

I'll say "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" by Otis Redding.

"Hurt" by Johnny Cash a very close second

Stack'em up.

I'll add another: "Meanwhile Back At The Ranch/Should I Smoke" by Badfinger.

Months before Pete Ham hung himself.

Last edited:
Hmm...I realize that Let It Be was the last record the Beatles RELEASED, but Abbey Road was the last record the Beatles RECORDED. As such, there can be no debate here.

"The End" - The Beatles.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make". Doesn't get much better than that for swan songs. In fact, just consider the entire Abbey Road Medley their swan song.

"All Apologies" - Nirvana - it was the last song on their last studio record before Kurt died.

Gotta agree with "The End"

actually, all of the 2nd half of Abbey Road can be considered their "Swan song"

In spite of the fact that Abbey Road was the last album recorded (you could argue that "Her Majesty" is their swan song there), I consider "Let It Be" the song to be their goodbye to the world.

The entire Mystery Girl album by the late, great Roy Orbison.

Keep Me In Your Heart by Warren Zevon.

(Edited to add Joe Strummer's cover of Redemption Song).

Last edited:
Ceremony - Joy Division
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Green Shield Stamps - Nikki Sudden
Theme From Taxi Driver - Bernard Hermann
What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

I agree with The Beatles' The End. Let It Be is a great song, but not the last one they would record. The End was the end.

Cool thread.

I've been listening to Machina by the Pumpkins. Age of Innocence is a cool final song. (Even though they're coming back)

It wasn't a single, but it's a great way to end the album, which they knew was going to be their last (at the time.)

phanan said:
Although they made a posthumous album after Freddie Mercury died, I consider "The Show Must Go On" to be Queen's swan song.

Aahh yes, I was going to mention that one but you beat me to it. So emotional. So grand. So great. So Queen.

God save the Queen. :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom