The Great White North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovely pictures, Dave! It's still looking really green there. St. John's is just a mess of yellow leaves at the moment (but a lovely yellow mess, nonetheless :drool: .) I want to go to Halifax so badly. Maybe I should plan a ferry trip or something.

I guess I'll post some pics of Newfoundland. These weren't taken recently though.

trin01.jpg

The Trinity Loop! I can't remember much about the history of this place. I think the loop uses the old tracks that used to be part of Newfoundland's defunct railway. Not entirely certain though, maybe AOD or trev knows. :wink:

aut02.jpg

Nothing like a Newfoundland autumn.

aug16_15.jpg

A Newfie jellyfish.

bon01.jpg

The Dungeon in Bonavista, caused by natural wave erosion.

sum10.jpg

This was taken in Kerley's Harbour, a community that was abandoned in the 1940s/1950s, not sure on the actual date. Not all of the houses were torn down when the residents left, and this is one of them.

And some more! The Skerwink Trail which is I believe close to Port Rexton. It's the best.

001ht6ee

Sea stacks.

001hxw8k

001hzgxc

It doesn't look like I was standing very high up from the sea in this picture, but trust me, it was high.

001k7t11

Oooo Caaanada...

I miss summer already.

Greetings from New Brunswick :wave: I've noticed that Interference is seriously under-represented when it comes to NB. Not that I'm that surprised really :wink:

Weatherwise, it's cool here possibly below zero tonight. There were actually a few snowflakes that fell from the sky today :yikes:

Last edited:
DaveC said:
What else were you expecting...? :scratch:

Maybe something like what GG posted - exotic/otherworldly scenery. I didn't expect it to resemble New England so much :shrug:.

ntalwar said:

Maybe something like what GG posted - exotic/otherworldly scenery. I didn't expect it to resemble New England so much :shrug:.

Haha - well, I do live pretty much right downtown. Not too much natural scenery here. That's also the reason why we're still so green, Halifax is a microclimate. If I were to drive out of town, it looks a lot like that autumn picture GG posted.

Now, if you want otherworldly scenery, the South Shore is unreal. For the brightest fall colours you've ever seen, check out the Annapolis Valley (where I was born). :drool:

ntalwar said:

I probably should have clarified that all of those pictures were taken faaaar away from anything resembling civilisation in Newfoundland. St. John's (where I live) is very much like Halifax, at least judging from pictures I've seen of Halifax. Here, see:

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=st. john's%20newfoundland&btnG=Search&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I just love the old multicoloured houses in downtown St. John's. :drool:

ETA:

dsichel2.jpg

Last edited:
DaveC said:
:eek:

I never realized Vancouver was so beautiful! I thought it was right on the ocean, much like Halifax is.
(Great shots of Halifax, by the way. :up: )

Re: Vancouver -- It actually is right on the ocean, but what makes it seem strange is how the mountains are so close to the ocean and the city. The downtown core (and Stanley Park) is on an island which is almost completely surrounded by the water of the Pacific Ocean....

179lc4.jpg

vancouver-aerial.jpg

57219331.StanleyParkandVancouverSkyline.jpg

57833380.VancouverBCCanada22006518.jpg

8_6e08c985f2_oa.jpg

eqdwdf.jpg

100_6334.jpg

english_bay_sunset_galleryfull

So I walked into KFC yesterday:

Me: "Hi, I'd like a Twister combo please"
Counter girl: "OK, what would you like to drink?"
Me: "A Pepsi. Is there anything I can substitute the fries for? I'll pay a little extra."
CG: "Well, no. Sometimes you can when we have onion nuggets, but we're out right now. You can substitute for a macaroni or potato salad, or a coleslaw."
Me: "Err...no thanks. I guess I'll take the fries then."

I get my order, with fries, and sit down rather disappointed. I then immediately notice a large sign next to the other cash register that says "Poutine your Combo for only 99 cents!!"

So I go back up to the counter.

Me: "Did you not notice that sign that says 'poutine for 99 cents'?"
CG: "N...uhh...we're, uhh...out of poutine."
Me: "You're out of poutine?"
CG: "Yeah, we don't have the cheese."
Me: "Whatever."

The next customer that is served by the guy at the other cash orders a poutine and has it in his hands within 30 seconds.

Me: "You just told me you were out of poutine!"
CG: "Oh, I guess they just found some cheese."
Me: ":mad:"
CG: "Don't be angry with me, sir."
Me: "Well you just lied to my face! Of course I'm angry. I'd like a poutine!"
CG: "Okay then. That'll be $3.99 please."
Me: "What? I'm not paying for it now."
CG: "Cheese is expensive."
Me: "Let me talk to your manager."
CG: "I'm the supervisor in charge."

At which point my head explodes, I grab my twister, and leave the store.

:crack:

Time for a Canadian band to come to the rescue....

I never meant to make you cry
And though I know I shouldn't call
It just reminds us of the cost
Of everything we've lost
Bad timing that's all

- Blue Rodeo

It was just bad timing that came between you and the poutine....

:wink:

The Slow Loris said:

The Slow Loris said:

SCROLL >>>
NightNorth.jpg

Badyouken said:

The main city is Montréal: a cosmopolitan city with both old and modern architecture; the feel is a cross between America and Europe. Prides itself as being the 2nd largest French-speaking city in the world after Paris.

montreal.jpg

old_montreal.jpg

Other major city: Québec City, famous for its old town with narrow streets.

Chateau-Frontenac-Autumn.jpg

5-750-385.street.y.jpg

Wow some great pics there. I never realised Montreal and Quebec had such old architecture. :drool:

Must go Visit both places and vancouver some time.

DaveC said:

18716Halifax_026-med.jpg

Inside the Citadel. This is Halifax's number one tourist destination and is extremely busy during the summer.

This reminds me this Castle/Fort ( Pendennis Castle) i saw in Cornwall ( Southwest England) at the end of September. :wink:

I think this thread is my 2nd fave thread on interland atm. The more i see/hear of Canada there move i fall in love with it. :lol:

My sister in law wants to move to Canada but my brother is having none of it. :lol:

Great pics Dave C. I love the old clock tower.

Last edited:
So for the uninitiated what exactly is Poutine? :wink:
All the pictures of Canada look amazing. I had a brief visit to Vancouver several years ago and loved it. :drool: Would love to go back sometime and explore more of the country if time/money ever allows.

GibsonGirl said:

aut02.jpg

Nothing like a Newfoundland autumn.

bon01.jpg

The Dungeon in Bonavista, caused by natural wave erosion.

Gibson Girl. That Autumn picture. :love:

I love the Dungeon one as well.

Jellyfish. :yikes:

Also love these pics.

And some more! The Skerwink Trail which is I believe close to Port Rexton. It's the best.

001ht6ee

Sea stacks.

It doesn't look like I was standing very high up from the sea in this picture, but trust me, it was high.

001hzgxc

Last edited:
Greenlight said:
So for the uninitiated what exactly is Poutine? :wink:

Poutine is a bed of french fries (preferably as hot and crispy as possible - avoid those battered fast food fries), covered with cheese curds. The whole thing is topped with plenty of gravy. As the gravy and fries are hot, the cheese melts into the fries and creates a flavour explosion. :drool:

But another common name for poutine is "heartattack on a plate", because it's absolutely awful for you.

But it's sooooooooooo good.

DaveC said:

Poutine is a bed of french fries (preferably as hot and crispy as possible - avoid those battered fast food fries), covered with cheese curds. The whole thing is topped with plenty of gravy. As the gravy and fries are hot, the cheese melts into the fries and creates a flavour explosion. :drool:

But another common name for poutine is "heartattack on a plate", because it's absolutely awful for you.

But it's sooooooooooo good.
:ohmy: I want some............now.

bonoishot said:

Wow some great pics there. I never realised Montreal and Quebec had such old architecture. :drool:

Must go Visit both places and vancouver some time.
Yeah, that's what I love about Montreal. I have yet to go to Quebec City, but from what I hear it's even more beautiful than Montreal arhitecturally....very old world, very European. The atmosphere of Montreal was incredible -- such a warmth, despite the freezing temperatures! It didn't matter with people like that brimming the streets. Sophisticated, warm, filled with charm....and smiles. And lots of poutine.

Delish.

(Just look out for the drivers!)

DaveC said:
One thing I forgot to add to my post:

Halifax has more bars per capita than anywhere else in North America! :drool:

Why am I not shocked that you know this? :lol:

I tried poutine for the first time this year and it was surprisingly tasty! Of course, that might've been thanks to the booze...

I need to visit Canada more often. I'm so close, after all. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom