The Great White North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoomerang96 said:
well... we're already part of the commonwealth.

what i want is to be back in the united kingdom. save us from america!

I understand your sentiment, and to a degree the thought of the old imperialist days is nostalgic to me. In terms of global perception though, I think most folks still associate Canada with the United Kingdom (as opposed to the United States), and our identity as a nation is still tied to the symbolic seat of the throne. There will be intermittent political phases where Canada will- under the philosophies of the party in power- fall in line with the interests of the States; but, there is not much historical precedent to give credence to the thought that an inextricable US-Canadian identity will be forged. As a colony country, Canada has experienced one of the more positive relationships with the UK (World Wars being the large exception), but I do not think that our identity will benefit from deferring to old ties or surrendering bits of sovereignty for schillings of cultural currency.

Identity, both individual and societal, is an important element to any country... and in a time where the notion of identity is becoming more commoditized and thematized in North America and Asia, do we need more external references or derivatives to place ourselves in the world? Pre-packaging (Arabian) nostalgia and bringing solidarity to a country of broad geography, diversity, and global citizenship is probably not the best step to take at the moment. In fact, pursuing a more homogenous connection with Britain would be more in line with the melting pot philosophy of the United States (which is an approach that is against the perception of Canada's general philosophy towards immigration and integration). Canada is a global country and that is our collective Undentity. Embrace the vagueness, guys. We do not need to be more than Commonwealth, in my opinion.

It's a good topic of discussion that you raised, deathbear. Well played.

:sexywink:

cujo

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

I think she lives somewhere in Alberta.

Blah, I must say, the one thing I don't like about Canada is the weather. Anymore, at least. When we first got here it was a blast. It was snowing the day we first set foot on Canadian soil and neither of us had ever seen snow before. The lowest temperature I had ever experienced was 8 degrees, or something close to that! I remember the neighbours looking quizzically at us when we all set out to shovel the driveway together with huge grins on our faces. My sister and I actually fought over which one of us was going to put the salt down.

Now (and especially since I rely on public transport) I hate snow and winter in general.
Alright, sounds like you would definitely be a West Coast (Vancouver) girl if you don't like snow! (Be prepared for some winter rain, though.... :wink: )

100_6314.jpg

17924291dsc056395kz.jpg

2403.jpg

Last edited:
The Slow Loris said:

Alright, sounds like you would definitely be a West Coast (Vancouver) girl if you don't like snow! (Be prepared for some winter rain, though.... :wink: )

100_6314.jpg

17924291dsc056395kz.jpg

2403.jpg

Great pics! :love: Vancouver is definitely a beautiful city.

GibsonGirl said:

There are loads of places around here where you'll find the Canadian flag, the Newfoundland flag and the Union Jack all flying together.

Yep...the Union Jack does fly (and even float) everywhere around here. I took these yesterday during my weekend walkabout before it started raining like the dickens.

That's the Labrador flag mixed in on both sides of the boat...I didn't catch the Canadian flag in the second one, but it's proudly flapping just beyond the Newfoundland flag.

britflagvz0.jpg

britflag2uq3.jpg

The Union Jack was actually the official Newfoundland flag right up until the early 80s--and the the current one still contains the bones of the original if you look closely. We were England's first overseas colony, so I guess that's something you never get out of your system entirely. When I was studying in England a few years ago, I really noticed a similarity with the particular brand of humour we have here. Same thing with food. At the the campus where I stayed, the cooks were hell-bent on serving copious amounts of peas and mashed potatoes. There's also the fish n' chips thing, which they've perfected much better than we have (huge portions of fresh fish and fries in a paper wrap).

There also appears to be a lot of respect for Canada in the UK. I got a lot of mileage out of the tiny Canadian flag sewn on my backpack: "You're travelling here from Canada? Brilliant!" That kind of response happened quite often, and I certainly soaked it up and felt very proud at times.

I could write a small book about our bus tour to Vimy Ridge, but I won't bore you all to tears. :wink:

Although I don't see any Union Jack flags here in Ontario nor did I when I lived in Manitoba or Saskatchewan, you can find a few in Victoria and some parts of Nanaimo. I think that's due more to the Brits who are actually living there and the "Englishness" of Victoria and not because the Canadians living there feel a connection to the U.K.

I like the idea of strengthening our ties to Europe in general, not necessarily just the UK, as a counterbalance to our relationship with the US. This way we may have the lovely Quebecois, making up almost one quarter of our country's population, on board.

ThoraSEB said:

Great pics! :love: Vancouver is definitely a beautiful city.

Yeah, they are nice pics, aren't they? I wish I took them, but no! I miss Vancouver a lot. :heart: It's so beautiful, it's verging on ridiculous...
EDIT: I can say that without conceit or self-aggrandizement now that I don't live there anymore.
(And no one is actually from Vancouver anyway :wink: )

SCROLL >>>
NightNorth.jpg

Last edited:
ladywithspinninghead said:
I like the idea of strengthening our ties to Europe in general, not necessarily just the UK, as a counterbalance to our relationship with the US. This way we may have the lovely Quebecois, making up almost one quarter of our country's population, on board.

Bingo. As a Québécois, I feel no ties to the Queen or to the UK in general. I'm not a separatist, I believe in a strong united Canada, but I think what makes this country unique is the mix of French and English culture. French Canadians are not well represented on this board, but one must not forget that we make about 25% of the country. Canada is so large that sometimes it's hard to believe we all live in the same country -- we are definitely different from each other, but together we make this country better than a cheap US or UK knock off.

I think DaveC did a good job describing the country and its history. Regarding the national anthem, I'd like to point out that it was originally written as a French Canadian anthem by Calixa Lavallée. I like it, although I must admit it's not the case for every Canadian, as many Quebeckers refuse to sing it for political reasons... I think the theme to "Hockey Night in Canada" is the unofficial anthem :wink:

With all due respect :wink: I still believe the Québec flag is the nicest, even though the New Brunswick flag is pretty awesome too.
No Union Jack there, obviously.

drapeau_quebec.png

About 85-90% of the Québec population speaks French as a first language. The English minority is mainly concentrated in Montréal, the Outaouais region (north of Ottawa) and in the Eastern Townships, near the US border. We speak the same French as in France, albeit with a different accent (think of the difference between the accents of a Brit and an American from Mississippi :wink:) which is quite similar to the accent of 18th century French. Of course, we understand the French perfectly and they understand us as well (we make fun of their accent, and they make fun of ours). We use some regional expressions here and there, and do not swear the same way. Most French swear words are from sexual vocabulary, while French Canadian swear words are from religious vocabulary (Québec was a very religious state until the 1960s. It has dramatically changed since then). Québec keeps close ties with France.

The main city is Montréal: a cosmopolitan city with both old and modern architecture; the feel is a cross between America and Europe. Prides itself as being the 2nd largest French-speaking city in the world after Paris.

montreal.jpg

old_montreal.jpg

Other major city: Québec City, famous for its old town with narrow streets.

Chateau-Frontenac-Autumn.jpg

5-750-385.street.y.jpg

Unfortunately, the language barrier often prevents good communication between English and French Canada (the "two solitudes"). But the country works well as a whole.

It's a great place to live in. We have four *really* different seasons, great variety in geography, landscape, culture and music. And everybody loves us :wink:

:drool:

Last edited:
Regarding Newfoundland, we were the last province to join Canada in 1949. Newfoundland has a strong connection to the British Isles to this day. Air Canada faced some discontent when it recently announced that it was cancelling it's flights from St. John's to England but reinstated seasonal flights.

UNKG0001.gif

CANA0104.gif

Just slightly inspired by our connection to England.

And ironically, our old traditional flag inspired Ireland. History of Newfoundland Tricolour

Nfldflag_tri.png

Newfoundland tricolour
IREL0001.gif

Ireland tricolour

We also sang Ode to Newfoundland in school when I was a kid.

The Ode to Newfoundland

When Sun-rays crown the pine-clad hills,
And Summer spreads her hand,
When silvern voices tune thy rills,
We love thee, smiling land.

When blinding storm gusts fret thy shore,
And wild waves lash thy strand,
Thro' sprindrift swirl and tempest roar,
We love thee, wind-swept land,
We love thee, we love thee,
We love thee, wind-swept land.
We love thee, we love thee,
We love thee, wind-swept land.

When spreads thy cloak of shimm'ring white,
At Winter's stern command,
Thro' shortened day and starlit night,
We love thee, frozen land,

As loved our fathers, so we love
Where once they stood we stand;
Their prayer we raise to Heaven above,
God guard thee, Newfoundland.
God guard thee, God guard thee
God guard thee Newfoundland.
God guard thee, God guard thee
God guard thee Newfoundland.
by Sir Cavendish Boyle

Do any other provinces have Provincial anthems?

trevster2k said:

Nfldflag_tri.png

Newfoundland tricolour

I love that flag, but I absolutely hate how it's used at times. I don't know about you Trevster, but the whole 'Newfoundland Republican Army' thing gets under my skin, because it hints at separation--even if it's tongue-in-cheek. We've had our issues with the rest of the country, and certainly our resources, like the fishery, have been exploited and mismanaged at the federal level for years. I'd like to think that now, however, there's no better representative for Canadian unity than our province. Hell, Mr. Canada, Rick Mercer, is from here. (He's so great, he deserves his very own flag.)

Newfoundland is a wild and wacky place, but truly wonderful, as well. When I left work today, the sun was setting, it was raining, and the crescent moon was glowing brightly. Throw in the wind, and it was like a patchwork quilt of every kind of observable weather system.

Contradictations and diversity in every form imaginable: the stuff that makes this place, and ultimately, this country, great.

angelordevil said:

I love that flag, but I absolutely hate how it's used at times. I don't know about you Trevster, but the whole 'Newfoundland Republican Army' thing gets under my skin, because it hints at separation--even if it's tongue-in-cheek. We've had our issues with the rest of the country, and certainly our resources, like the fishery, have been exploited and mismanaged at the federal level for years. I'd like to think that now, however, there's no better representative for Canadian unity than our province. Hell, Mr. Canada, Rick Mercer, is from here. (He's so great, he deserves his very own flag.)

Newfoundland is a wild and wacky place, but truly wonderful, as well. When I left work today, the sun was setting, it was raining, and the crescent moon was glowing brightly. Throw in the wind, and it was like a patchwork quilt of every kind of observable weather system.

Contradictations and diversity in every form imaginable: the stuff that makes this place, and ultimately, this country, great.
Wow, you write very well! Now I really want to go to Newfoundland. :)

I have to agree with the the Fleurdelisé being the pimpest provincial flag. I feel a connection to Montreal and Quebec despite being a mostly English speaker in this French province.

flagfg3.gif

I really enjoy the cultural mix that you get in the metropolitan areas, and as a white guy living downtown I'm usually outnumbered by any number of culturally diverse groups.

The thing is, despite people being from Middle Eastern, Asian, Eastern European, or North American backgrounds, and everyone having their own heritage, people have a strong Canadian identity.

Badyouken said:

Bingo. As a Québécois, I feel no ties to the Queen or to the UK in general. I'm not a separatist, I believe in a strong united Canada, but I think what makes this country unique is the mix of French and English culture. French Canadians are not well represented on this board, but one must not forget that we make about 25% of the country. Canada is so large that sometimes it's hard to believe we all live in the same country -- we are definitely different from each other, but together we make this country better than a cheap US or UK knock off.

I think DaveC did a good job describing the country and its history. Regarding the national anthem, I'd like to point out that it was originally written as a French Canadian anthem by Calixa Lavallée. I like it, although I must admit it's not the case for every Canadian, as many Quebeckers refuse to sing it for political reasons... I think the theme to "Hockey Night in Canada" is the unofficial anthem :wink:

With all due respect :wink: I still believe the Québec flag is the nicest, even though the New Brunswick flag is pretty awesome too.
No Union Jack there, obviously.

drapeau_quebec.png

About 85-90% of the Québec population speaks French as a first language. The English minority is mainly concentrated in Montréal, the Outaouais region (north of Ottawa) and in the Eastern Townships, near the US border. We speak the same French as in France, albeit with a different accent (think of the difference between the accents of a Brit and an American from Mississippi :wink:) which is quite similar to the accent of 18th century French. Of course, we understand the French perfectly and they understand us as well (we make fun of their accent, and they make fun of ours). We use some regional expressions here and there, and do not swear the same way. Most French swear words are from sexual vocabulary, while French Canadian swear words are from religious vocabulary (Québec was a very religious state until the 1960s. It has dramatically changed since then). Québec keeps close ties with France.

The main city is Montréal: a cosmopolitan city with both old and modern architecture; the feel is a cross between America and Europe. Prides itself as being the 2nd largest French-speaking city in the world after Paris.

montreal.jpg

old_montreal.jpg

Other major city: Québec City, famous for its old town with narrow streets.

Chateau-Frontenac-Autumn.jpg

5-750-385.street.y.jpg

Unfortunately, the language barrier often prevents good communication between English and French Canada (the "two solitudes"). But the country works well as a whole.

It's a great place to live in. We have four *really* different seasons, great variety in geography, landscape, culture and music. And everybody loves us :wink:

Thanks for the great pictures, Badyouken! Montreal is probably my favoutie city in Canada. I fell in love with it back when I was a young Loris still in school. Putin, multi story bars, bringing your own wine to restaurants, well dressed women! Ah, memories...

:eek:

I never realized Vancouver was so beautiful! I thought it was right on the ocean, much like Halifax is.

I'm going for a walk downtown today to my mom's office...maybe I'll bring my camera with me and show you folks what Halifax is all about. :D

I love Newfoundland, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the Republic of Newfoundland flag inspired the Irish flag. I'd give that one more to Italy, thanks. ;)

Quebec is absolutely gorgeous in the old city, too - I was there for a Grade 9 French Immersion field trip for a week, and although we really never left the Old City, it really does feel like you've been transported back two centuries! There's even a tree on Rue St-Jean (I think) with a cannonball still lodged in it from the English bombardment before the Battle of the Plains of Abraham. :ohmy:

Canadiens1160 said:
The thing is, despite people being from Middle Eastern, Asian, Eastern European, or North American backgrounds, and everyone having their own heritage, people have a strong Canadian identity.

Another great thing about Canada.

When an immigrant moves to the US, they teach the immigrant about American culture and traditions, and the immigrant is expected to learn it all and become a part of it.

When an immigrant moves to Canada, we want them to teach us about their culture - and retain it. We don't want them to be just like us.

But everyone is still a Canadian, just one more different piece to this beautiful puzzle that fits together perfectly :D

DaveC said:

When an immigrant moves to the US, they teach the immigrant about American culture and traditions, and the immigrant is expected to learn it all and become a part of it.

When an immigrant moves to Canada, we want them to teach us about their culture - and retain it. We don't want them to be just like us.

I would substitute "Europe" for "US"/"American" above.
And I also think it's partly a urban versus rural issue.

No, there's no substitution with Europe or urban/rural thing. I meant it like I said. Ever hear of the "melting pot" philosophy? :slant:

So it turns out I took 44 pictures of Halifax on my walk this afternoon! I'm going to sort out what's good, and post 'em when I'm done.

The Walking Tour of Halifax

Well, here's Halifax at a glance. It's going to be about 30 photos in total, so be prepared! :)

18716Halifax_001-med.jpg

The Public Gardens are Halifax's main downtown green space. It's the closest thing in Canada to a true Victorian garden that's left. This is right after I walked in the gates.

18716Halifax_004-med.jpg

The pond in Public Gardens.

18716Halifax_009-med.jpg

These swans (there are two caged adults and a free-roaming baby) have been in the Gardens ever since I can remember.

18716Halifax_010-med.jpg

Hundreds of ducks make the Gardens their home in the summer. These are those that haven't flown south for the winter yet. The white one is the baby swan.

18716Halifax_011-med.jpg

More ducks in the Gardens.

18716Halifax_014-med.jpg

The other side of the swan enclosure. That's a pigeon standing in the stream.

18716Halifax_015-med.jpg

Another shot down a path in the Gardens.

18716Halifax_016-med.jpg

This is Citadel Hill from the bottom, the entire reason for Halifax's existence. The British built the fort at the top of the hill in 1749 to counter the presence of the French at Louisbourg. It's the centrepiece of the Halifax Defense Complex, which also includes George's Island (in the Harbour) and York Redoubt (in Spryfield).

18716Halifax_017-med.jpg

The North End of Halifax, as seen from the top of the landward side of Citadel Hill.

Last edited:
ntalwar said:
Regardless, the US is in much higher demand by immigrants.

It's not as cold there. Big deal. :wink:

Halifax looks beautiful - I'd love to go and I hear the ride from Ottawa to Halifax is stunning as well.

Last edited:
18716Halifax_018-med.jpg

The West End of Halifax from the same spot. The building under construction is Citadel High School.

18716Halifax_023-med.jpg

The north Harbour from Citadel Hill. Across the water is the city of Dartmouth.

18716Halifax_024-med.jpg

Straight out to the water from the Citadel. The ugly flat building is the Halifax Metro Centre, where we have all our hockey games and concerts.

18716Halifax_025-med.jpg

Another shot out to the Harbour. The (old) white building is the Old Town Clock, built by Prince Edward so that the town's residents could properly keep time without having to rely on the sun.

18716Halifax_026-med.jpg

Inside the Citadel. This is Halifax's number one tourist destination and is extremely busy during the summer.

18716Halifax_027-med.jpg

The South End of Halifax from the Citadel. My house is just off to the right of this photo (although you can't see it from there)

18716Halifax_028-med.jpg

Looking out to sea. The small island is George's Island, and the larger one further out is called McNab's Island.

18716Halifax_030-med.jpg

Halifax's most (in)famous nightclub, the Palace. Many a debauchery has taken place there.

18716Halifax_031-med.jpg

Looking up at Citadel Hill from the downtown side.

18716Halifax_032-med.jpg

Pizza Corner, Halifax's favourite post-bar hangout. There are pizza places on three of the four corners (a church is on the other corner). The bars here close at 3:30 am, but the party doesn't stop at Pizza Corner until sunrise, and everyone's here.

18716Halifax_033-med.jpg

For Nova Scotian beer drinkers, this place is the Holy of Holies - the original Alexander Keith's brewery. Beer is still brewed here, but only for the tours that come through 8,000 times a day. Keith's brewed for distribution comes out of the Oland's Brewery in the North End. There's also an amazing Farmer's Market here every Saturday morning.

18716Halifax_034-med.jpg

This is Canada's Ellis Island, known as Pier 21. Nearly 1,200,000 immigrants passed through here between 1928 and 1971. There is a railway line literally 10 feet from the front door that used to take settlers west as soon as they got off the boat.

18716Halifax_035-med.jpg

This is where cruise ships dock in Halifax (off to the right of the picture), and tourists are directed right down to the Harbour boardwalk. That tall ship isn't an uncommon sight in Halifax, and during tourist season the boardwalk usually has no less than 10 sailing ships docked at a time.

18716Halifax_036-med.jpg

Dartmouth from the Halifax side.

18716Halifax_037-med.jpg

George's Island, a little closer. They're trying to renovate the defense facilities to make a new National Historic Site and complete the Halifax Defense Complex.

18716Halifax_039-med.jpg

The tugboats of the Harbour.

18716Halifax_042-med.jpg

And the more familiar Halifax tugboat, Theodore!

18716Halifax_041-med.jpg

Looking up George Street, from the waterfront to Citadel Hill.

18716Halifax_040-med.jpg

This is Summit Place, built in 1994. The G7 summit was held here in 1995.

18716Halifax_044-med.jpg

These are some of the original buildings of Halifax, known as Historic Properties. They used to be a haven for privateers, but now there's a bar inside, and a lot of knicknack shops.

That's it! I realized halfway home that I forgot to take a photo of City Hall, but you're just going to have to live with it. :wink:

ladywithspinninghead said:

Halifax looks beautiful - I'd love to go and I hear the ride from Ottawa to Halifax is stunning as well.

It looks nice, but not as scenic as I imagined. I'll stick to Vancouver as my favorite Canadian city for scenery.

Back
Top Bottom