The Great White North

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoomerang96 said:
... and would help us from becoming america junior.

in so many ways that's what we're becoming, and i HATE it.

Here, here.

Getting Harper out would be a great first step. One thing I respected about Chretien, he called shenanigans to Bush and co. when the situation dictated it.

This is a great thread! :up: Wish I could have read something like this before I moved to Canada. Yes, I fell for the whole "some Newfoundlanders live in igloos" thing. Travelling up north certainly was a disappointment, haha.

Zoomerang, I'm glad you brought up the whole UK thing. It was probably the thing that struck me as being most strange when I first arrived here, second only to the shitload of trees clustered all over the place. You're almost just as likely to see the Union Jack as you are to see the Canadian flag. It's actually almost quite bizarre (but in a good way) to drive around Newfoundland. You're guaranteed to see any combination of the Canadian flag, the Union Jack, the Republic of Newfoundland flag and the provincial Newfoundland flag anywhere you go. I like it that Canada still has such strong ties to Britain. I don't exactly know why, I just do. Since I'm a foreigner, I can say with little bias that Canadians outside of Quebec really are more like the English and less like the Americans. Which is, of course, contrary to the beliefs of most people around the world.

Looking forward to that day when I can officially become one of you guys. :) If only it didn't take so bloody long. Interestingly enough, getting back to Zoomerang's point, you have to swear allegiance to the Queen when you become a citizen of Canada!

I don't know how it is in other provinces but you never see the Union Jack here. Ever.

anitram said:
I don't know how it is in other provinces but you never see the Union Jack here. Ever.

Weird! It's everywhere here. Even at the university in front of the administration building.

"Everyone has heard that the tragedy of Canada is that they had the
opportunity to have French cuisine, British culture, and American
technology, and they ended up with British cuisine, American culture,
and French technology?"

anitram said:

not at all true, anitram and i don't even live in your province.

do i have to remind you what your provincial flag looks like? :wink:

ontario-flag.jpg

both the union jack and the cross.

gibson girl what do you mean though... does the union jack fly on it's own? like the entire flag is the union jack? cause in manitoba i don't ever see that... it just exists in our red ensign or however you spell it.

GibsonGirl said:
Interestingly enough, getting back to Zoomerang's point, you have to swear allegiance to the Queen when you become a citizen of Canada!

Which I find terribly sad, as I want nothing more than to be able to swear allegiance to this beautiful, fabulous country. Honestly, I have been eligible for years and I long for the day I can take an oath to swear allegiance to CANADA.

This country is amazing :heart:

Zoomerang96 said:

gibson girl what do you mean though... does the union jack fly on it's own? like the entire flag is the union jack? cause in manitoba i don't ever see that... it just exists in our red ensign or however you spell it.

Yeah, it flies on its own. Maybe Newfoundland is just weird. I'll see if I can find some photos. There are loads of places around here where you'll find the Canadian flag, the Newfoundland flag and the Union Jack all flying together.

love_u2_adam said:
holy shit......that was like gr 8 social all over again:crack:

i <3 my Canada!!!!:heart:

but not right now:grumpy:freaking -15 with wind chill my ass

-15 :yikes: where do you live? It's not even that cold YET in Winnipeg.

Last edited:
Bono's Betty said:

-15 :yikes: where do you live? It's not even that cold YET in Winnipeg.

I think she lives somewhere in Alberta.

Blah, I must say, the one thing I don't like about Canada is the weather. Anymore, at least. When we first got here it was a blast. It was snowing the day we first set foot on Canadian soil and neither of us had ever seen snow before. The lowest temperature I had ever experienced was 8 degrees, or something close to that! I remember the neighbours looking quizzically at us when we all set out to shovel the driveway together with huge grins on our faces. My sister and I actually fought over which one of us was going to put the salt down.

Now (and especially since I rely on public transport) I hate snow and winter in general.

GibsonGirl said:

Yeah, it flies on its own. Maybe Newfoundland is just weird. I'll see if I can find some photos. There are loads of places around here where you'll find the Canadian flag, the Newfoundland flag and the Union Jack all flying together.

that's interesting...

i'd like to see some pics if you find them.

Nice. I've never been to Alberta. Some day i'll have to drive out that way and check out the mountains.

I actually heard someone on the radio call-in show here the other day declare that Canada needs to revert to the British North America Act and dump its Constitution - because the Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects gays and lesbians from discrimination. He said he wants the BNA Act back so that the government can legally bar gays and lesbians from entering public buildings or receiving any kind of public societal benefits - a gay man with a library card is disturbing to this guy!

Even though people think we're a liberal nation (and we are in a lot of ways), we still have some pretty cementheaded people up here. :crack:

Pinball Wizard said:
Good stuff, Dave.

I never thought I would see the day when Canadians would propose a Commonwealth Retrolution.

Je Thame.

:sexywink:

~cujo

well... we're already part of the commonwealth.

what i want is to be back in the united kingdom. save us from america!

ha

well, i might be kidding... but... only partly.

what are your thoughts on all this, cujo?

Pinball Wizard said:
Je Thame.

:sexywink:
:happy:

yeah, you don't see the union jack around alberta. it's not even on our provincial flag, which is too bad, 'cause the union jack is the freakin' coolest flag ever.

nice thread, dave. :up:

BUT

you do have gourgous george's cross on your crest.

AlbertaFlag.jpg

manitoba, once again... has BOTH.

so clearly we're cooler than you. :wink:

wait
i originally called the red cross st. RICHARD's.

wow. i'm sorry.

i can't keep all the men in my life separate :sexywink:

'tis true. :(

i often think the alberta flag should just be a rag soaked in crude oil.

You guys don't have a snarling lion on your flag, though. Clearly Nova Scotia has the most badass provincial flag of all:

800px-Flag_of_Nova_Scotia.svg.png

DaveC said:

Even though people think we're a liberal nation (and we are in a lot of ways), we still have some pretty cementheaded people up here. :crack:

Every country has some cementheaded people.

Back
Top Bottom