The Great Interland Oscar Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard awesome things about "The Lives of Others," and was pleasantly surprised to see it win. I thought "Pan's Labyrinth" was a lock.

But where was "Volver"?

namkcuR said:

That's ridiculous. If a little kid does a good enough job of acting, then a little kid should win.

Well, okay. Anna Paquin was very good in The Piano, and she won for that. (But I don't remember who she was up against.)

It does irk me when kids are nominated, and I can't explain it very well. But it does make me roll my eyes.

I've made my feelings for Little Miss Sunshine pretty known around here, but I honestly didn't think Abigail Breslin was good enough to even have a nomination.

She was fine and cute, and did a good job, but ... gah, she's ten years old! How much acting can she really do?

:shrug:

Thank you, Jennifer Hudson, for our first areola sighting of the night.

Nipplegate 2007! :yikes:

I missed it - I was too busy bitching about little kids being nominated for Oscars. :wink:

Hey look, it's the other Dreamgirl, who doesn't get any attention because she's not Beyonce or Jennifer Hudson!

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
Nipplegate 2007! :yikes:

I missed it - I was too busy bitching about little kids being nominated for Oscars. :wink:

Hey look, it's the other Dreamgirl, who doesn't get any attention because she's not Beyonce or Jennifer Hudson!

where??? i totally missed it too..:huh:

I really liked the top half of J-Lo's dress. I didn't see the bottom half, maybe it was a hot mess down there.

Jennifer Hudson looks awesome in that red dress.

namkcuR said:
Jesus, here we go with the gospel choir. Make it stop. Please.

Ha ha ... I was wondering if they were just there for the brief "Ellen plays the tambourine" thing at the begninning.

:ohmy:

WOW. That's a surprise. Beyonce must be piiiiiiiiiiiissed.

I still find it kind of funny that there was a song from "An Inconvenient Truth."

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

Well, okay. Anna Paquin was very good in The Piano, and she won for that. (But I don't remember who she was up against.)

It does irk me when kids are nominated, and I can't explain it very well. But it does make me roll my eyes.

I've made my feelings for Little Miss Sunshine pretty known around here, but I honestly didn't think Abigail Breslin was good enough to even have a nomination.

She was fine and cute, and did a good job, but ... gah, she's ten years old! How much acting can she really do?

:shrug:

See, I think you're working under the assumption that a certain amount of life experience is a prerequisite to good acting. I don't really agree with that.

Some kids are more naturally intelligent than others...as long as you have the intelligence to be able to observe human behavior, and you have the ability to imitate emotion, you can act. IMO.

corianderstem said:

Ha ha ... I was wondering if they were just there for the brief "Ellen plays the tambourine" thing at the begninning.

:ohmy:

WOW. That's a surprise. Beyonce must be piiiiiiiiiiiissed.

I still find it kind of funny that there was a song from "An Inconvenient Truth."

3 noms for Best Song, and you lose to An Inconvenient Truth.

Amazing!

I loathed Gwyneth's dress. I was off having dinner, so I missed out on a bunch of fashion comments. :wink:

Abigail Breslin looks adorbale.

And Kate Winslet ... Kate, call me! Let's have coffee! I love you omg!!

namkcuR said:
See, I think you're working under the assumption that a certain amount of life experience is a prerequisite to good acting. I don't really agree with that.

Some kids are more naturally intelligent than others...as long as you have the intelligence to be able to observe human behavior, and you have the ability to imitate emotion, you can act. IMO.

Both are good points, but we'll just have to agree to disagree that li'l Abigail's performance was nomination-worthy. :)

I'm sure she's a fine actress, but I'm not sure this role really showed much acting. She seemed like she was playing someone that wouldn't be far off from her real self ... of course, I don't know that. Maybe she's a little snotty brat in real life, and if that's the case, give her the Oscar! :wink:

corianderstem said:
What the heck was that a tribute to? I missed something. :huh:

a tribute to tributes?

Children of Men is getting shafted tonight.

First it was racial stuff, then it was war ... it was strange.

Yeah, I wish Children of Men had been nominated for more stuff.

And dang, I was hoping United 93 would win for editing.

I like the memorial part of the show. It reminds me of my mortality and to appreciate the works of these artists today and the achievements in the past.

And every year, the list will continue to grow as we begin to lose more actors and directors from the 70s and 80s.

corianderstem said:

Do they put non-movie people in the mix?

I think they do, I'm not sure.

Jack Palance, Scotty, Jack Warden, and Peter Boyle have gotten the most so far.

I do too, despite my quip above. It just makes me chuckle to think about the applause.

Ah, Robert Altman won that one. Rightly so.

Bruno Kirby ... Darren McGavin ... Peter Boyle ... :(

Back
Top Bottom