The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
AKA The all the stuff you never considered asking about The Church because you don't give a crap and you don't know who they are in the first place thread.... :huh:

AKA indra's ode to that damned band she can't shut up about....

I was planning on waiting to post this until the band's new album was released, but that has recently been pushed back from Sept. to Feb. :( Besides, I can discuss The Church incessently for six months easy. :D And perhaps drag a few of you kicking and screaming into Church fan land. (I need replacements -- Steve told me I wasn't allowed to strangle any current Church fans without replacing them with fresh meat. Spoil sport. :mad: )

A little blurb about them -- courtesy of All Music Guide:

"Best known for the shimmering "Under the Milky Way," their lone Top 40 hit, the Australian band the Church combined the jangling guitar pop of '60s icons like the Byrds with the opaque wordplay of frontman Steve Kilbey to create a lush, melancholy brand of neo-psychedelia rich in texture and melody."

Yep, they are that Under The Milky Way band, and some might also know The Unguarded Moment, Almost With You, Reptile, and Metropolis.

And for someone who can ramble on and on and on about this band I am suddenly unable to come up with anything else. :( Of course it's 6:30 am here, I've been up all night, and the dog has to pee.

Never fear...I'll post more later. :D

Last edited:
indra said:
I was planning on waiting to post this until the band's new album was released, but that has recently been pushed back from Sept. to Feb. :(

Well, I think they have recently released some alternative kind of Best Of, so that should keep you happy for a few weeks. :wink:

Um...only questions I can think of right now are what got you into their music, and what your favorite song/album is?

Totally unoriginal questions, I know :p. But I just had a really long nap and am not fully awake yet. When I return to the land of intelligence I'll have better questions :D.

Angela

Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask th

Popmartijn said:

Well, I think they have recently released some alternative kind of Best Of, so that should keep you happy for a few weeks. :wink:

They have...El Momento Descuidado is due out in the US today I think. However it was released in Australia in November and of course being the nutcase fan I am, I got it then. :) But, honestly I can't complain, they've released six or seven full length cds since early 2002 and should be releasing another cd worth of material that didn't make it onto their newest album. They've been very prolific lately and have been wonderful about releasing it. There are some remasters just out though... :hmm:

But we always want what we don't have, don't we? :shrug:

Moonlit_Angel said:
Um...only questions I can think of right now are what got you into their music, and what your favorite song/album is?

Angela

I heard Under The Milky Way and was smitten. Got Starfish (the album UTMW is on) and then their next cd Gold Afternoon Fix which was my primary car album for a decade. Didn't read any interviews or reviews of their work for years (didn't want to find they were complete jerks) -- just liked the music.

Favourite album varies -- Priest = Aura is probably their best album, and one I dearly love, but After Everything Now This is more emotionally rewarding -- I've described it as being as comforting as an old friend and as exciting as a new lover. Pretty good for a cd, eh? ;)

Okay, what's the music like? What drives them--vocals, guitars, lyrics? Can you post a few lyrics?

indra said:
I heard Under The Milky Way and was smitten. Got Starfish (the album UTMW is on) and then their next cd Gold Afternoon Fix which was my primary car album for a decade. Didn't read any interviews or reviews of their work for years (didn't want to find they were complete jerks) -- just liked the music.

Favourite album varies -- Priest = Aura is probably their best album, and one I dearly love, but After Everything Now This is more emotionally rewarding -- I've described it as being as comforting as an old friend and as exciting as a new lover. Pretty good for a cd, eh? ;)

Heh, yeah, I'd definitely take a CD like that :D. Interesting answers-so are there any of their CDs you aren't too fond of? And how do you think the new one'll stack up next to their past work?

Angela

i know very little in what ways you are personally involved with the band/steve's art.

can you tell me more about that?

Great band!!!!!
And to think they've almost been around as long as U2.
Have you heard "Isidore"?????????????????
It's Steve Kilbey and some other guy.
Sounds like a Church album. Check it out.
Another great one is simply titled "Jack Frost" - it came out in the late 80's early 90's.

Under The Milky Way is the only song I really know of, and only because of Donnie Darko

Donnie :drool:

Harry Vest said:
Great band!!!!!
Another great one is simply titled "Jack Frost" - it came out in the late 80's early 90's.

are you asking that to indra? poor kid

BonosSaint said:
Okay, what's the music like? What drives them--vocals, guitars, lyrics? Can you post a few lyrics?
`

The Church consists of four very competent to excellent musicians, but is more than a mere sum of it's parts. A large part of their sound is the interplay of the two guitarists, Peter Koppes (PK) and Marty Willson-Piper (MWP). They are the backbone of the lush, shimmering, trippy, psychadelic, often ethereal sound of The Church. Think Pink Floyd, The Byrds, The Cure, Echo and The Bunnymen...The Church have similar sounds and feels. And they did an awesome cover of Neil Young's Cortez the Killer -- a perfect song for them to cover -- it sounds like a song they would do on their own.

Steve Kilbey's vocals and lyrics are also essential to the mix. They are there more to evoke feelings than to relate precise stories. Interestingly, Church fans generally find SK's vocals to be deep, warm, silky smooth, and occasionally disturbing, but always compelling where often non fans find them cold, bland and dispassionate. There's a similar divide between fans and non fans when it comes to his lyrics as well. SK loves to play with works and it's obvious in his lyrics. Most fans adore SK's way with words and find his lyrics exquisite and powerful -- many non fans call them a load of pretentious nonsense. I will note that for me, in the context of the songs his lyrics are most often perfect for me. But seperated from the music I'm often left scratching my head wondering "what was he thinking?" :huh:

Here are the lyrics to a few songs I really like (and might not be too much pretentions nonsense seperated from the music ;) )

After Everything

Now that it's over I find myself leaving
The sound permeate in all directions at once
I never said goodbye to the family, lovers
Brothers and daughters, the rest of the bunch

It seems so strange that the things I was chasing
Have all evaporated like a distant dream
Petty ambition, petty obstruction
Something in between

I really thought it would go on forever
Never believed they would sever the ties
All of the questions remaining unanswered
A stranger's reflection in a stranger's eyes

Here is a child playing in a garden
Here is an old man with a broken heart
Here comes a train to take you away
It all goes round and round and comes back to the start

I was never really sure what I was waiting for
When the moment came I was looking away
Obsessed with a past, scared of the future
Never took the time to be here today

After everything now this happens
It's not a grand illusion, it's a stupid little trick
The show must go on, these people have paid
You're standing in the wings feeling kinda sick

Never really sure what you were waiting for
When the moment came you just couldn't choose
The fog sweeps down over the marine city
Standing backstage trying to pull on your shoes

Sealine

The minute the sting penetrates your finger
You're strapped to the pain like an angry stranger
The moment the rain freezes in the gutter
Come the flaming birds and their hideous matter
The second the claw lifts up your chin
I'm alone in your head and you can't get in

Somebody said that it's all for you
It's a miracle, let it alter you
But I will not follow you to the sea line

Somebody went and turned it on for you
Revelation baby, you're beautiful

The instant the transfer hits your account
And it's deep in the black, and just one way out
The morning the storm rolled to the coast
We were down to the shake, and our silent throats
The evening the trees lash at the window
The roots curl up, strangle the candles

Somebody said that it's all for you

Somebody went and turned it on for you

(To the sea line)

To the sea line

Destination

Our instruments have no way of measuring this feeling
Can never cut below the floor or penetrate the ceiling
In the space between our houses some bones have been discovered
But our procession lurches on as if we have recovered

Draconian winter unforetold
One solar day, suddenly you're old
Your little envelope just makes me feel cold
Makes destination start to unfold

Our documents are useless, or forged beyond believing
Page forty-seven is unsigned, I need it by this evening
In the space between our cities, a storm is slowly forming
Something eating up our days, I feed it every morning
Destination, destination

It's not a religion, it's just a technique
It's just a way of making you speak
(When) distance and speed have left us too weak
And destination looks kind of bleak

Our elements are burned out, our beasts have been mistreated
I tell you it's the only way we'll get this road completed
In the space between our bodies the air has grown small fingers
Just one caress, you're powerless, like all those clapped-out swingers
Destination, destination

Cantilever [a wild, swirling, disturbing song. also shows SK's love of the pun -- Cantilever = Can't I Leave Her ;) ]

You and I
Something else
So afraid, doubtful light

You and I
On our own
So full blown in the night

A for the angles and the algorithms
B for your brains, what ya did with 'em
C, see what we've done, see what we've become
Delightful, delicious and divine

You and I
So exposed
Flaring out into white

You and I
I suppose
Never quite getting it right

E for the elite and the easy way
F for the phantom limb you still obey
G, gee I feel weird, I feel strange
Holy, horrific, and hard

I don't know what you want to be
I only know how I adore thee

Remembering times I was on the inside
And I ran to your side
You helped me to hide
The trap was so smooth
Up the back in your booth
With a bird in your hand
A hand on your heart
The stuff that we did
The stuff that we hid
The stuff that we drank
And the blank that we drew
It was always me
It was almost you

I don't know what you want to do now
I only know nothing you won't allow

Think about it when I'm after a bit
And I'm down in the dumps and I'm needing a hit
And your cut was so clean
The split was so fair
The water was green
When you came up for air
And the things that we saw
The things that were true
The things that we wore
It was always me
It was almost you

Remembering times I was on the inside
And I ran to your side
You helped me to hide
The trap was so smooth
Up the back in your booth
With a bird in your hand
A hand on your heart
The stuff that we did
The stuff that we hid
The stuff that we drank
And the blank that we drew

Moonlit_Angel said:

Heh, yeah, I'd definitely take a CD like that :D. Interesting answers-so are there any of their CDs you aren't too fond of? And how do you think the new one'll stack up next to their past work?

Angela

Oddly, I find I don't listen to Gold Afternoon Fix all that much anymore. It's not really one of their best although it will always hold a special place in my heart for being such a faithful companion for so long.

Overall, I'm more a fan of their mid-period to recent work than I am of their very early work. I hardly ever listen to their first two albums Of Skins and Heart and The Blurred Crusade, although there are songs I like on both, and I find Sometime Anywhere substantially weaker than most of their others. Of course, by SA the band was down to SK and MWP (although a drummer named Tim Powles worked with them on it and soon officially joined the band -- I think he's the perfect drummer for them. Plus he can produce their albums! A major plus on their budget.). PK did rejoin the band in the mid to late 90's, which restored much of the classic "Church" sound (and got them to tour again as a full band).

I have high hopes for the new album, as I like their newer work as well or better than their older material. I've been really pleased with most of their several years and feel they are reaching new artistic levels. It's not really radio friendly, but I find it excellent.

I'm going to buy a CD this weekend...and as much as I still need to get October (I'm such a bad U2 fan:shame: ), I think I might try one by these guys. So which album should a newbie such as myself start out with. I've probably heard Under the Milky Way somewhere, but didn't know who it was by, but that's about it. So reccomend away! But you can only choose one. :evil:

btw, you probably kinda answered this question earlier in the thread, but I haven't slept in over 40 hours and all the words are bleeding together...no way I'm reading this whole thread.:wink:

indra said:
Oddly, I find I don't listen to Gold Afternoon Fix all that much anymore. It's not really one of their best although it will always hold a special place in my heart for being such a faithful companion for so long.

Overall, I'm more a fan of their mid-period to recent work than I am of their very early work. I hardly ever listen to their first two albums Of Skins and Heart and The Blurred Crusade, although there are songs I like on both, and I find Sometime Anywhere substantially weaker than most of their others. Of course, by SA the band was down to SK and MWP (although a drummer named Tim Powles worked with them on it and soon officially joined the band -- I think he's the perfect drummer for them. Plus he can produce their albums! A major plus on their budget.). PK did rejoin the band in the mid to late 90's, which restored much of the classic "Church" sound (and got them to tour again as a full band).

*Nods* Okay. What kinds of things make you not like those particular albums?

I know I've heard a few songs off of Of Skin and Hearts, but I can't for the life of me remember what they are right now. They play them sometimes on the new wave music channel I listen to.

Originally posted by indra
I have high hopes for the new album, as I like their newer work as well or better than their older material. I've been really pleased with most of their several years and feel they are reaching new artistic levels. It's not really radio friendly, but I find it excellent.

That's good to hear...improving with time, then, huh? :D.

Also, heh, I can understand about the "not exactly radio-friendly" thing...some of my favorite artists are the same way. Barely any airplay, if any.

And VertigoGal, "Under The Milky Way" is a very good song :yes: :up:.

Angela

VertigoGal said:
I'm going to buy a CD this weekend...and as much as I still need to get October (I'm such a bad U2 fan:shame: ), I think I might try one by these guys. So which album should a newbie such as myself start out with. I've probably heard Under the Milky Way somewhere, but didn't know who it was by, but that's about it. So reccomend away! But you can only choose one. :evil:

btw, you probably kinda answered this question earlier in the thread, but I haven't slept in over 40 hours and all the words are bleeding together...no way I'm reading this whole thread.:wink:

Cool! If you can find it (not all that easy, but I've seen it at Best Buy and Borders and the like. Places like Walmart do not carry The Church -- they don't sell well enough) the best choice for a newbie is Under The Milky Way: The Best of The Church. It has 17 songs -- a pretty excellent way to get aquainted with their music. Not quite sure I agree with the last song on there (it's from SA, one of my least favourite albums), but otherwise a nice selection.

Re: Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid t

indra said:

They have...El Momento Descuidado is due out in the US today I think.

That's weird, I didn't know it wasn't out here yet. I got it from emusic a little while ago. Like a dipshit I keep listening to Under The Milky Way. :der:

OK. I'll try the best of. (Clever of you to get the Neil Young reference in there)

VertigoGal said:
cool, thanks. :up:

If I decide to get a proper album, which one would you reccomend first?

Starfish. An excellent album. :yes:

BonosSaint said:
OK. I'll try the best of. (Clever of you to get the Neil Young reference in there)

:D I was just listening to it recently (it's on their album of covers Box of Birds ) and just kept hitting repeat.

Re: Re: Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid t

neutral said:

That's weird, I didn't know it wasn't out here yet. I got it from emusic a little while ago.

Perhaps because it was already available in Australia? I'm not really sure.

Do you like it? They recorded it over a weekend -- one or two takes max for everything.

indra said:

:D I was just listening to it recently (it's on their album of covers Box of Birds ) and just kept hitting repeat.

OK. Both best of and Box of Birds are in my Amazon cart as we speak. Waiting until after I make my next mastercard payment.
Thanks for the lyrics. I liked them on paper. Worth a try to hear the CDs.

BonosSaint said:

OK. Both best of and Box of Birds are in my Amazon cart as we speak. Waiting until after I make my next mastercard payment.
Thanks for the lyrics. I liked them on paper. Worth a try to hear the CDs.

Cool. Think I should hit the guys up for a cut of the profits? :hmm:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were

indra said:

Perhaps because it was already available in Australia? I'm not really sure.

Do you like it? They recorded it over a weekend -- one or two takes max for everything.

So far I really like most of it. God, his voice (their? :reject: :der: ) is so great, and after listening to this I feel that his voice was a little overpowered or got a little lost in the mix on other albums and it sounds great on this. I'm not exactly an expert on the other albums so that might just be me though. :shrug:

I particularly like The Unguarded Moment, (although I find one part of it extremely distracting :reject: ) Almost With You, Metropolis, A New Season and Invisible so far. They're so melancholy that it's almost overwhelming. The album really makes me to drink for some reason though. :whistle:

I love Till The Cows Come Home, at first listen it just sounded like an I love/I miss you song but then as it goes on it seems like the narrator's mood goes back and forth between :cute: to :sigh: to :grumpy:

There are a few tracks I'm not crazy about. November I just cannnot seem to get into, not keen on Between Mirages.

bonosgirl84 said:
i know very little in what ways you are personally involved with the band/steve's art.

can you tell me more about that?

I'm not really involved with the band, except that I know people who are and so am able to help keep watch for certain activity, such as the guy who was attempting to sell a burned copy of their just released DVD. Granted, one copy of a burned DVD isn't going to make or break them, but it's just best to stop the activity cold. So if I see something like that I contact one of a few people I know who can put a stop to it.

Now on the subject of Steve's art, I am fairly deeply involved. Two years ago I bid on a painting by Steve (self portrait) that had been used on the cover of one of his solo cds. I lost that auction by one Australian dollar, but was offered the opportunity to have SK paint another painting for me. Of course I accepted the offer (it turned into a triptych :) ) and soon had my paintings. SK was finding that he was really enjoying painting, so there was a steady stream of work up for sale and I found I was really enjoying buying the paintings. :shifty:

Eventually I began chatting with SK online (in a chatroom for Church fans), often about his art and I got fairly comfortable talking to him that way. When the band toured the US last year I got to meet him in person and talked to him for quite a while after one of the shows. Then after the tour we started communicating via email and I started buying most of my paintings directly from SK (before the sales were run through the little indie label his brother operates).

I finally got up the courage to ask if he'd be interested in allowing me to set up an exhibit of some of his art at a small gallery run by the arts coop I'm in. He agreed and put up a mix of original art I owned (of his, of course -- we had prints and cards available for sale of most of those) and original art he sent over. The show did pretty well (even had people come from out of state to see it :) ) -- sold a nice amount of stuff, so I was pretty pleased. Here is a photo tour of the SK exhibit

So I'm sitting here on night in early January (probably posting on this very board) when my cell phone rings. It's Steve Kilbey...I was shocked! Turns out one of the people who came from out of state to see the exhibit wanted to carry some of SK's artwork at his shop. SK, not being all that interested in the business side of things, asked me if I wanted to be his art rep. So I'm SK's art rep. :) He makes the paintings and sends them off to me and I take care of everything else. I get the paintings photographed, set up to make prints and cards, have set up a website for SK's art, and handle all sales and shipping. Plus I get first crack at every new painting. :D

We talk on the phone every couple of weeks to bounce around ideas and just keep in touch. In fact we just had a nice conversation last night -- we're planning for world domination! :yes:

Harry Vest said:
Great band!!!!!

Yep! Love Isidore...even named one of my cats Isidore. :rolleyes: The other guy is Jeffery Cain formerly of Remy Zero. The Isidore project got it's start when Cain gave MWP a cd of some instrumental tracks for SK (kind of as a thanks for the inspiration kind of thing) after a Church show in LA in the late 90's. SK, not liking his other musical choices that evening popped that cd in...and loved it. Wrote lyrics to one of the songs that night and left a message the next morning for Cain that if he could arrange for studio time SK could cut the vocals that day. Cain arranged for the studio, but had other commitments so Kilbey cut the vocals without meeting Cain. That song is "Transmigration" on of my favorites on the album.

Over the next several years Cain work make instrumental tracks in LA and send to SK in Australia. Kilbey would then write the lyrics and record the vocals. The two met only once prior to when Cain went to Sydney in late 2003 to mix the tracks, and hardly ever corresponded about the material. Each guy did his own part of it without interference from the other.

I love that album. And I hear that Cain is working on tracks for Isidore 2. Yippee!

Jack Frost -- a collaboration with Grant McLennon (of the Go-Betweens), SK and GM did two Jack Frost cds -- the self titled one and one called Snow Job. Both excellent. I do believe that the two had a falling out however, so I thing there will be no more Jack Frost projects. :(

inmyplace13 said:
Under The Milky Way is the only song I really know of, and only because of Donnie Darko

Donnie :drool:

I've actually not yet seen Donnie Darko, but do know that in the director's cut version UTMW which was used in a party scene was replaced by Echo and The Bunnymen's The Killing Moon -- also a great song, but damn it that's UTMW's spot! :grumpy:

phanan said:
So are they really religious, or did they just like how it sounded?

:D

Not religious. Especially not western religions. SK has described himself as Hindu/Buddhist/agnostic/not Christian. :shrug: But he uses loads of religious imagery of all types in his lyrics.

I think they picked the name because it sounded slightly naughty without being totally obnoxious. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom