The everything you ever wanted to know about The Church but were afraid to ask thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you where mine was an awesome song live. They used to open with it and it really set the atmosphere for the night.

I am listening to Heyday right now. It has always been a favorite. I think it is a truely remarkable album. Worn my viynl down, finally bought the disc yesterday for $6.99!!!!! Also bought el momento descudado after being inspired by the gig the other night and, i cant put into words how beautiful it is. So i wont try. Everybody who reads this must purchase a copy is all i will say.......:drool:

Thanks for answering my "When You Were Mine" question with depth. Interesting to read your opinion there. I'd bring up more songs, but I'm limited in my Church knowledge.

I only remember buying one Church album in my life. It was in the early '90's. Except, I can't remember the title. I liked it though. It was very 'atmospheric' for lack of a better word. Do they have an album with a song called "Reptile"? For some reason that's ringing a bell in my mind. Oh well, whatever album it was I just remember liking the 'starsy' imagery and mood.

Layton said:
Thanks for answering my "When You Were Mine" question with depth. Interesting to read your opinion there. I'd bring up more songs, but I'm limited in my Church knowledge.

I only remember buying one Church album in my life. It was in the early '90's. Except, I can't remember the title. I liked it though. It was very 'atmospheric' for lack of a better word. Do they have an album with a song called "Reptile"? For some reason that's ringing a bell in my mind. Oh well, whatever album it was I just remember liking the 'starsy' imagery and mood.

Yer welcome. As you may have noticed I like discussing The Church. :shifty: :D

Yep. They do have a song titled "Reptile" (kinda cool/odd story about that one too -- SK said he went to a Bowie and dropped a couple of hits of acid early on. As the show progressed he said Bowie appeared to be turning into a reptile. And that was part of the basis for the song. :)

After several years of not playing Reptile live, they brought it back during their 2003/04 tours. It's a killer live song!

The album Reptile is on is Starfish. Excellent album, and their biggest seller.

indra said:
They do have a song titled "Reptile" (kinda cool/odd story about that one too -- SK said he went to a Bowie and dropped a couple of hits of acid early on. As the show progressed he said Bowie appeared to be turning into a reptile. And that was part of the basis for the song. :)

Wow, really? I did not know that-interesting.

I like that song :). I quite like the guitar in it, and the chorus lyrics.

Angela

reptile said:
When you where mine was an awesome song live. They used to open with it and it really set the atmosphere for the night.

I am listening to Heyday right now. It has always been a favorite. I think it is a truely remarkable album. Worn my viynl down, finally bought the disc yesterday for $6.99!!!!! Also bought el momento descudado after being inspired by the gig the other night and, i cant put into words how beautiful it is. So i wont try. Everybody who reads this must purchase a copy is all i will say.......:drool:

I need to check out some of my bootlegs of older shows....should have one or two around. Need to check out that song live.

Heyday is a really wonderful album....it stands up well against anything they've done. You got a bargin on that disc!

And EMD is really is an awesome disc. I was a bit worried about it when I first heard they did it (they did it kind of spur of the moment over a weekend), as I wasn't sure I'd like a restrospective of some of their work, but it is lovely. I don't think Steve has ever sounded so good.....

And I hear they are so pleased with how it turned out that they are thinking of doing another one. Guess that means more great shows for you guys damn it! :madspit: They did a short acoustic tour there last year when the damned thing was first released! And then you get another tour now! Wah! They better get their rears over here! :grumpy:

Well I certainly hope so, I wanna see them this time and not be sick and in hospital again!!!!!!!! :madspit:

Yes the medication has kicked in nicely! :crazy:

(can you tell I'm well rested! :lol: )

indra said:

The album Reptile is on is Starfish. Excellent album, and their biggest seller.

That's it. I remember liking that album a good deal. They really came into their own with that album as artists. The arrangements evoked strong imagery and mood. Good stuff. Been many years since I've listened to it, though.

Didnt SK mention a 2006 usa tour in his blog?

Indra can you help me? I need to know which albums the following songs are from; 0408 / NOVEMBER / SEALINE / ALL I KNOW / TILL THE COWS COME HOME / INVISIBLE.... those silly boys didnt think to mention the individual albums the songs on the compilation are from! Another missed oportunity to sell more records! I for one am so impressed with these songs that i want to find the original recordings.

:drool:

reptile said:
Didnt SK mention a 2006 usa tour in his blog?

Indra can you help me? I need to know which albums the following songs are from; 0408 / NOVEMBER / SEALINE / ALL I KNOW / TILL THE COWS COME HOME / INVISIBLE.... those silly boys didnt think to mention the individual albums the songs on the compilation are from! Another missed oportunity to sell more records! I for one am so impressed with these songs that i want to find the original recordings.

:drool:

Yep. USA tour in 2006. I'm eagerly awaiting their return here. :)

Actually several of those songs are only on EMD -- they are new. It will be interesting to see if they ever make it to a fully electric album. The ones only on EMD are: 0408; November; All I Know; and Till The Cows Come Home.

Sealine is on Forget Yourself.
Invisible is on After Everything, Now This

Invisible is one of my favourite songs ever. :yes:

I know some people were/are a bit :huh: with Till The Cows Come Home, but I love that song. Well...actually all the songs you noted I really like. They must have been in one hell of a groove that weekend! :wink:

Im even more impressed now! I think 0408 is an amazing song i didnt realise it was new. It really shows them at there best, i think.
Invisible IS amazing. Cows come home reminds me of solo Sk stuff and i love it!

Also wondering did they release a single for EMD ?

ok, i've seen this thread for a while now & seen indra pushing the church in most posts she makes. +she actually likes bruce cockburn :up: so i'm finally curious to know about the church. tell me about them.

any classic live tracks here? i'm a sucker for good live stuff :cool:

reptile said:
Im even more impressed now! I think 0408 is an amazing song i didnt realise it was new. It really shows them at there best, i think.
Invisible IS amazing. Cows come home reminds me of solo Sk stuff and i love it!

Also wondering did they release a single for EMD ?

Yeah, I was really impressed by the new stuff on that album too. I think they recorded it while working on Uninvited, Like The Clouds, jsut kind of a quick diversion. I love that they can whip off an album in a matter of a few weeks -- sometimes a few days. They did tinker with After Everything Now This for a couple of years, but that seems to be the exception to their normal method. Of course, sometimes it then takes forever for it to be released. :|

No. No single for EMD. Not sure why, except that maybe their deal with Liberation (the label EMD is on) was only for an album.

I keep hearing rumours of a "Block" EP, but think there are manufacturing problems with it. ("Block" is the first song on ULTC) Looking forward to that. :)

blueeyedgirl said:
Well I certainly hope so, I wanna see them this time and not be sick and in hospital again!!!!!!!! :madspit:

Yes the medication has kicked in nicely! :crazy:

(can you tell I'm well rested! :lol: )

:sad:

Awww... I'll tell them they have to come back when you are fit and ready to go to a show, damn it! yes:

(not that they actually listen to me.... :shrug: )

the rockin edge said:
ok, i've seen this thread for a while now & seen indra pushing the church in most posts she makes. +she actually likes bruce cockburn :up: so i'm finally curious to know about the church. tell me about them.

any classic live tracks here? i'm a sucker for good live stuff :cool:

I knew I'd get you sooner or later! No one can resist the awesome power of The Church indefinitely :evil: (although a shitload of people have been doing a damned good job of it so far.... :grumpy: )

(Because I'm tired out I'm just going to reprint a short description from earlier in the thread -- someone asked about other bands as reference points. It might give you a bit of a feel for them.)

Here goes:

I really suck at describing music, but here goes.

Well all the guys were born in the 50's and grew up in the 60's and early 70's, so all that great music was an influence on them. The bands most mentioned are Pink Floyd and The Byrds (lots of jangly guitar early in their career, not so much now). Dreamy neo-psychedelia moving into space rock. Lush, melodic, melancholic. Space rock is SK's current favourite term for them, but when he said it MWP shot him the :rolleyes: look, so they can't even decide what they are. :shrug:

In the 80's they toured with Echo and the Bunnymen and that seemed to work well...the crowds liked both bands. So that might give you another reference point. The Cure and The Psychedelic Furs are also often mentioned as similar bands.

.....................................................................................................

Ok, so much for that. On to the kick ass live songs.

Tantalised
You Took
Myrrh
Cantilever
Reptile
The Theatre and It's Double
Sealine (the elcetric version very cool live. I haven't heard the acoustic version live)

Marty's songs tend to come alive more when done live too.

I like most of the songs I've heard done live actually.

If you'd like to hear a few I can get them to you. :)

indra said:
Awww... I'll tell them they have to come back when you are fit and ready to go to a show, damn it! yes:

(not that they actually listen to me.... :shrug: )

Well, it don't matter cos I got my Choich Chrissy pressie yesterday, via reptile (cheers mate!) Ooooooh I can feel the Choich luuuurrrvvvveeee......:drool:

blueeyedgirl said:

Well, it don't matter cos I got my Choich Chrissy pressie yesterday, via reptile (cheers mate!) Ooooooh I can feel the Choich luuuurrrvvvveeee......:drool:

Oooh! That must mean he bought you:

the new sk condoms
available in titanium white
brilliant red
and regular sorta greeny yellow (these with ribs)

:wink:

:D

(the really scary thing is....I'd probably buy the damned things! :eek: )

indra said:

I knew I'd get you sooner or later! No one can resist the awesome power of The Church indefinitely :evil: (although a shitload of people have been doing a damned good job of it so far.... :grumpy: )

Here goes:

I really suck at describing music, but here goes.

Well all the guys were born in the 50's and grew up in the 60's and early 70's, so all that great music was an influence on them. The bands most mentioned are Pink Floyd and The Byrds (lots of jangly guitar early in their career, not so much now). Dreamy neo-psychedelia moving into space rock. Lush, melodic, melancholic. Space rock is SK's current favourite term for them, but when he said it MWP shot him the :rolleyes: look, so they can't even decide what they are. :shrug:

In the 80's they toured with Echo and the Bunnymen and that seemed to work well...the crowds liked both bands. So that might give you another reference point. The Cure and The Psychedelic Furs are also often mentioned as similar bands.

.....................................................................................................

Ok, so much for that. On to the kick ass live songs.

Tantalised
You Took
Myrrh
Cantilever
Reptile
The Theatre and It's Double
Sealine (the elcetric version very cool live. I haven't heard the acoustic version live)

Marty's songs tend to come alive more when done live too.

I like most of the songs I've heard done live actually.

If you'd like to hear a few I can get them to you. :)

thanks for the info! I found a couple samples on itunes. reptile sounded good. this band sounds ok ;) i'd love a few live tracks :cool:

Had a Choich nostalgia trip last night, or this morning. Every summer, one of the music vid shows on telly here show old episodes from the 80s from "Countdown", THE great Oz music show. And who should be on, on 8 September 1981:ohmy: but the verrry young Choich miming along to "Too Fast for You" in front of a rather disinterested studio audience. :madspit: The Choich were wearing full make up and SK was wearing a rather fetching dark shade of lippy to match his eyeshadow. :cute: Oh and a very nice jacket and tie. Jangly guitars, harmonies and lippy :love: And the really frightening thing is I in all probability was sitting at home that Sunday night in 1981 watching it. :sigh:

gr@cie said:
Hi indra,
There's an article on Steve Kilbey in our local Sat paper this weekend. (+pic) When I get a minute I'll scan it for you.

:)

Ooooh! Thanks! You're so sweet. I really look forward to seeing that. There's usually some comment in an SK interview that makes me laugh. :)

:ohmy: i forgot about this, i got the stuff you sent me indra but i haven't listened to it all yet :reject: of what i have listened to reptile (live) was good :up:

i will finish listening to the rest of it and let you know what i think soon:wink:

blueeyedgirl said:
Had a Choich nostalgia trip last night, or this morning. Every summer, one of the music vid shows on telly here show old episodes from the 80s from "Countdown", THE great Oz music show. And who should be on, on 8 September 1981:ohmy: but the verrry young Choich miming along to "Too Fast for You" in front of a rather disinterested studio audience. :madspit: The Choich were wearing full make up and SK was wearing a rather fetching dark shade of lippy to match his eyeshadow. :cute: Oh and a very nice jacket and tie. Jangly guitars, harmonies and lippy :love: And the really frightening thing is I in all probability was sitting at home that Sunday night in 1981 watching it. :sigh:

They were utterly adorable then weren't they? :cute:

Apparently your evening was very similar to this Christmas at chez Kilbey:

my mum came round yesterday
we watch a new dvd (the 80s sumpthin')
its got the choich
doin ungarded gnome tent
on countdown circa 1981
how excruciatingly awful
how hilarious and sombering
how everything and nuthin'

:laugh:

You know, come to think of it, I have some of those early (perhaps not quite 1981 early though) performances somewhere on a vhs tape someone gave me. hmmm...I'll have to dig those up and give 'em a look. :)

the rockin edge said:
:ohmy: i forgot about this, i got the stuff you sent me indra but i haven't listened to it all yet :reject: of what i have listened to reptile (live) was good :up:

i will finish listening to the rest of it and let you know what i think soon:wink:

Slacker!! :madwife:

:wink:

The quality of the recordings isn't the best, and Steve's vocals tend to get lost in the mix, but they sounded great in the venue on the night. :)

Last edited:
the rockin edge said:

yep, i am a very good slacker :yes:

i've heard far worse bootlegs than this one:wink:

I am too. :)

Yeah, I've heard worse too. One which was from a tour I would really have loved a good recording from. It wasn't that the sound was hideous, it wasn't all that bad actually, but there were people talking through the entire show! :madspit: I wanted to strangle them and I was just hearing the recording. :mad:

indra said:

I am too. :)

Yeah, I've heard worse too. One which was from a tour I would really have loved a good recording from. It wasn't that the sound was hideous, it wasn't all that bad actually, but there were people talking through the entire show! :madspit: I wanted to strangle them and I was just hearing the recording. :mad:

i have a U2 bootleg where for 2 whole songs all you can really hear is someone arguing with security about what seat they're supposed to be in :down: it really ruins the recording :mad:

i don't think i've heard a recording with people talking all the way through the show though :tsk:

Yeah, I know I'm joining this party a bit late. But I've always loved "Under the Milky Way"...and I finally got a copy of Starfish through our system at work (librarian here). So far I'm loving it! :up: "Reptile" sounds very familiar...must have heard it somewhere before!

~LadyLemon~ said:
Yeah, I know I'm joining this party a bit late. But I've always loved "Under the Milky Way"...and I finally got a copy of Starfish through our system at work (librarian here). So far I'm loving it! :up: "Reptile" sounds very familiar...must have heard it somewhere before!

Starfish is an excellent album -- I'm always amazed at how good it is when I listen to it. And you don't even have to be a big Church fan to appreciate and enjoy it.

Reptile was released as a single, and did get a fair amount of play on modern rock/alt. stations at the time. Now it sometimes gets played on those "remember the 80's" type programs. :)

And it's a killer live song. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom