The Elvis Costello appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of EC, I just put on Get Happy! for the first time in a couple months and forgot how good it is. There are like 20 tracks on disc 1 and 30 bonus cuts and alternate versions on disc 2. Now THAT'S how do put out a reissue.

gethappy2zn0.jpg

Apparently there is a torrent for the show I attended, but I can't torrent :sad: It's supposedly on dime, so if anyone downloads it, could they send me a file in mp3 format? Or B&P? Just thought I'd throw that out there :shifty: (I can get the link to it if needed) :shh:

If anyone has RAVE, the HD concert channel, they have recently been airing Soundstage featuring Elvis Costello. It's an hour or more of him performing songs like what you would see at his shows I think. I'm sure they will replay it more times throughout the month.

Lila64 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff9tMOTzTa0

Got back a little while ago from the House of Blues in Hollywood. Great show, as always. Lots of old material. Hubby will probably find and/or help post a setlist this week if anyone is interested. Ended with my fave song... Peace Love & Understanding :drool:

Played (first 2 in order, the rest is just random memory):
Welcome To The Working Week, Shabby Doll, Clubland, Radio Radio, Man Out Of Time, The Imposter, Beyond Belief, Riot Act, Alison, Watching The Detectives, Pump It Up, Hi Fidelity, Motel Matches, Watch Your Step, Uncomplicated, (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea, Lover's Walk, Party Girl, Strict Time, (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love & Understanding...

I'm forgetting some for sure.... so tired!

Party Girl! :combust: :drool:
Motel Matches! :drool:
Uncomplicated! :rockon:

Looks like an amazing concert.
And thanks for the link to his schedule. Reminds me to buy tickets to see him in the Netherlands in July. With Allen Toussaint! :drool:

if you check You Tube and search Elvis and 'date added', there were at least 3 clips from his show in San Francisco last week.

Now I'll have to go check to see if I have RAVE. We did recently tape The Raconteurs on Austin City Limits and RHCP Live in Milan (2 different channels of course). :hyper:

ETA: Don't see a channel called RAVE, but saw a couple other HD music channels, so I bookmarked them. And set the Pearl Jam thing to record :)

Last edited:
Yes, supposedly he is to perform for 45 minutes, or so I've heard

:hyper: :hyper:

Can you capture it? I have no clue how to do that :reject:

To tie in with the latest compilation release, Universal is giving away two guitars and a couple of Elvis CD packages. The grand prize is an autographed Fender Jazzmaster, first prize is an autographed Fender Resonator Accoustic and second prize (with three winners) is a catalog of albums Elvis made during the first 10 years of his career.

I'd be happy to win any of that.

http://elviscostello.umusic.com/default.asp?referrerCode=elvissite

Lila64 said:
Apparently there is a torrent for the show I attended, but I can't torrent :sad: It's supposedly on dime, so if anyone downloads it, could they send me a file in mp3 format? Or B&P? Just thought I'd throw that out there :shifty: (I can get the link to it if needed) :shh:

what am I ? chopped liver?? :huh: ask me u fool.. I can d/l the torrent for you. Just give me the date and venue info so I can search it on dime.

sheesh.... :tsk:

Hubby already got it last week! I didn't want to trouble you. Yet. Now if you find a video of it, that's another story :wink:

Lila64 said:
Hubby already got it last week! I didn't want to trouble you. Yet. Now if you find a video of it, that's another story :wink:

cool!! glad u got the audio. But if you want me to look for the video I need the date, venue so I can search for it.:wink:

5/2/07 House Of Blues, Hollywood, CA

while you are there, can you check for audio for Chris Cornell? He played on 5/2/07 as well, but I can't remember the venue (Avalon?). I could only go to one show, and they were both on the same night.

Thanks
:kiss:

Lila64 said:
5/2/07 House Of Blues, Hollywood, CA

while you are there, can you check for audio for Chris Cornell? He played on 5/2/07 as well, but I can't remember the venue (Avalon?). I could only go to one show, and they were both on the same night.

Thanks
:kiss:

ok..

got my mission. I will now set forth and venture into torrent land.. Wish me luck.. :wave:

Anyone catch him on Letterman last night? He did Welcome To The Working Week then into his newly arranged (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea

:drool:

Got an email today...

ELVIS COSTELLO PODCASTS NOW AVAILABLE WORLDWIDE ON ITUNES *TEN-PART WEEKLY SERIES AIRING THROUGHOUT SUMMER HIGHLIGHTS FIRST TEN YEARS OF ELVIS COSTELLO'S CAREER* *"ORIGINALS" PERFORMANCE SESSION AVAILABLE ON ITUNES JUNE 19*

For the first time online, Elvis Costello fans can hear the rock music icon talk candidly "one on one" about the first ten years of his career through a ten-part weekly podcast series running through August and available worldwide on iTunes. The companion CD collections, `THE BEST OF ELVIS COSTELLO: THE FIRST TEN YEARS' was released this past Spring on Hip-O/Ume.

Costello shares stories with noted online producer Joseph Vella highlighting everything from his start in music and changing his name, to forming the Attractions and writing his first album MY AIM IS TRUE, and many rich anecdotes in between. The interviews are also accompanied by music samples from his first ten years as well by some of his musical inspirations

The Elvis Costello podcast schedule will continue through August 21:

june 12 - episode one
june 19 - episode two
june 26 - episode three
july 10 - episode four
july 17 - episode five
july 24 - episode six
july 31 - episode seven
aug 07 - episode eight
aug 14 - episode nine
aug 21 - episode ten

Also available on iTunes as of June 19 will be the ORIGINALS SESSIONS, featuring Elvis Costello performing solo on guitar, organ and other instruments, covering material from throughout his career.

The podcast series is available via itunes (for free - no cost!) from this link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=257750282

and the EC web site (elviscostello.com).

:hmm:

News on Billboard about the new deluxe edition of My Aim Is True:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003601084

Tracklisting:
Disc one:
"Welcome to the Working Week"
"Miracle Man"
"No Dancing"
"Blame It on Cain"
"Alison"
"Sneaky Feelings"
"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes"
"Less Than Zero"
"Mystery Dance"
"Pay It Back"
"I'm Not Angry"
"Waiting for the End of the World"
"Watching the Detectives"
"No Action" (outtake)
"Living in Paradise" (outtake)
"Radio Sweetheart" (outtake)
"Stranger in the House" (outtake)
"Welcome to the Working Week" (Pathway Studios demo)
"Blue Minute" (Pathway Studios demo)
"Miracle Man" (Pathway Studios demo)
"Waiting for the End of the World" (Pathway Studios demo)
"Call on Me" (Pathway Studios demo)
"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" (Pathway Studios demo)
"I Don't Want To Go Home" (Pathway Studios demo)
"I Hear a Melody" (Pathway Studios demo)

Disc two (live in London, Aug. 7, 1977)
Introduction
"Welcome to the Working Week"
"Blame It on Cain"
"No Dancing"
"Waiting for the End of the World"
"Night Rally"
"Hoover Factory"
"No Action"
"(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea"
"Miracle Man"
"The Beat"
"Less Than Zero"
"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes"
"Lipstick Vogue"
"Watching the Detectives"
"Lip Service"
"Mystery Dance"
"Alison"
"Pay It Back" (soundcheck)
"Radio Sweetheart" (soundcheck)
"Sneaky Feelings" (soundcheck)
"Crawling in the USA" (soundcheck)
"Alison" (soundcheck)

On the one hand it looks very interesting (full concert from 1977! :drool: ). On the other hand, I already have a 2CD version of this album... (and that one is already sounding excellent!)

Holy :censored: ! The live disc is worth the price alone. Night Rally, Hoover Factory, Lip Service. Soundchecked Sneaky Feelings, Crawling to the USA :drool: :drool: Pretty rare live trax.

Off to check the piggy bank :ohmy:

Too bad you can't trade in your old versions for new ones, not as in trade in to a used record store, but to the record company since you've already purchased one (or more) versions of said release. You should get something for already owning the item, and bonus points for seeing the band live or purchasing other merchandise. :mad:

(and yes, I know several different labels have released his material over the years. I just mean for artists in general when something is "re-released")

Lila64 said:
Too bad you can't trade in your old versions for new ones, not as in trade in to a used record store, but to the record company since you've already purchased one (or more) versions of said release. You should get something for already owning the item, and bonus points for seeing the band live or purchasing other merchandise. :mad:

Fan credits :up:

Elvis Costello will be touring the east (mostly northeast) with Bob Dylan and his Band and Amos Lee for about three weeks in September and October.

The tour will be in Syracuse on Monday October 8. I teach on Monday nights :scream: The tour will be in Rochester on Tuesday October 9. I teach on Tuesday nights :scream: I guess I could drive up to Albany, but that's a long haul.

:grumpy:

Tour dates are on bobdylan.com.

Back
Top Bottom