The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread Pt 3 (NO LINKS!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't like Knocked Up all that much. I might have been in the wrong mood for it, though.

I think also I am disgusted by the fact that that talentless fucker Seth Rogen is all famous now.

LM sent me that album and I enjoyed it. Had a nice, fun quality to it.

I haven't seen Knocked Up. I've heard mixed things.

Both Knocked Up and Steely Dan are awesome. That they were mentioned in the movie cracked me up, because I know they're an acquired taste.

Knocked Up is funny, but it lacks the wit and charm of my favorite Apatow-related movie, The 40-Year-Old Virgin. I'm a fan of Seth Rogen, but I never found myself rooting for him the way I was behind Carell in his film, you know?

They are two separate animals, I agree, but because they're from the same gang of people, they can be open to comparison, I think.

You don't like Seth, GAF ? :sad:

No, I don't. I don't see a shred of talent in him. I've known a hundred fat, average-looking stoner dudes in my time and I resent the fact that he's the one now that turned it into a successful career.

Knocked Up is funny, but it lacks the wit and charm of my favorite Apatow-related movie, The 40-Year-Old Virgin. I'm a fan of Seth Rogen, but I never found myself rooting for him the way I was behind Carell in his film, you know?

you know, I have yet to see that movie. I need to. Carell is genius.

REM is meh for me. am I the only person in the world who doesn't think they're great? probably.

you know, I have yet to see that movie. I need to. Carell is genius.

REM is meh for me. am I the only person in the world who doesn't think they're great? probably.

You will absolutely love Virgin then. I recommend the theatrical cut over the Unrated... I prefer my comedies to be under 2 hours.

I've not seen Virgin either.

I think REM is good, but not great. Then again, I've only heard the first three albums.

They are two separate animals, I agree, but because they're from the same gang of people, they can be open to comparison, I think.

You know, I still haven't seen 40-Year-Old Virgin. I'll get around to it eventually; Carell is in it, after all.

On the subject of Apatow, I know we disagree on Superbad. I thought that was a humorous film, but it was poorly-paced and when the funniest thing about it is watching a fat kid spew vulgarities, you know you're not watching geniuses at work. Apparently, we also disagree on Knocked Up, which I absolutely loved. Regarding Rogen, what do you think of Pineapple Express?

I guess Rogen was kinda good in Virgin. Where he was a supporting character and didn't have to carry the movie or anything.

40 Year Old Virgin is brilliant, mainly because of Carell.

The thing I love about Knocked Up is the fact that it got serious in the end. The problem I think most people have with it is that it got too serious.

40 Year Old Virgin was simply fantastic, that being said, the recent batch of apatow films I saw (Pineapple and Step Brothers) haven't made me all the excited to watch anything Apatow has touched for a while. Step Brothers is growing on me though. And I need to see Heavyweights again :hyper:

Step Brothers does not look like my kind of movie.

Pineapple Express I might see just because Franco is gorgeous with that long hair :drool: stoner movies are hit and miss though. I did love Harold and Kumar in all its retardedness

btw, Here Comes the Sun --> Tangled Up in Blue = :up:

Step Brothers is hilarious. The only thing stopping it from being one of my favorites is its lack of depth, plot, and that it's arguably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Still, the chemistry between the two leads is enough to win me over.

Pineapple Express was just STUPID. I mean, I laughed, I really did, but...jesus, there was nothing at all of substance in the film, and that pissed me off, because I had really gotten used to Apatow films having something good and right in them at least somewhere

Step Brothers is hilarious. The only thing stopping it from being one of my favorites is its lack of depth, plot, and that it's arguably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

You don't think a father telling his sons about how he wanted to be a dinosaur is deep?

Pineapple Express was just STUPID. I mean, I laughed, I really did, but...jesus, there was nothing at all of substance in the film, and that pissed me off, because I had really gotten used to Apatow films having something good and right in them at least somewhere

It looks like Hot Fuzz with more pot. That's a bad thing, because part of what made that film fan-fucking-tastic was how fast-paced it was. Stoners + action = WTF?

Oh, and YLB, your list was damn good. I'd rank it right about even with the LM list. The fourth disc in particular stood out.

You know, I still haven't seen 40-Year-Old Virgin. I'll get around to it eventually; Carell is in it, after all.

On the subject of Apatow, I know we disagree on Superbad. I thought that was a humorous film, but it was poorly-paced and when the funniest thing about it is watching a fat kid spew vulgarities, you know you're not watching geniuses at work. Apparently, we also disagree on Knocked Up, which I absolutely loved. Regarding Rogen, what do you think of Pineapple Express?

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Knocked Up and will watch it whenever it's on cable, but it didn't resonate with me in the same way that Virgin did. Superbad has lost its luster for me after seeing it again on cable the other day. Parts of it still crack me the hell up, but you're right, the pacing in the middle-section is problematic, and it isn't anything spectacular. In a comedy like that though, I'm looking for steady stream of chuckles and a few LOL moments, which that movie delivered.

I have not seen Pineapple Express or Forgetting Sarah Marshall yet, so there's that.

It looks like Hot Fuzz with more pot. That's a bad thing, because part of what made that film fan-fucking-tastic was how fast-paced it was. Stoners + action = WTF?

Hot Fuzz was way better than Pineapple, IMO. Can't say exactly why, but it was. Pineapple wasn't as slow as it should be on paper.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall is quality.

The British rock star (forget his name now) is absolutely hilarious. And Kristen Bell is...well...yeah...

Again, that movie knows what it is though and doesn't try to be anything else. It's a bizarre comedy that tries to throw as many high-volume lines and gags at you as possible and maybe some subtler humor? There is no plot or really any dynamism to any of the characters, but it was fun to watch and infinitely quotable afterward. I'll take a plot-less, hilarious comedy over a dull-plotted so-so comedy any day of the week.

Comedies like Young Frankenstein, The Big Lebowski, and Ghostbusters only come along once in a blue moon, you know?

:lmao:

I'm just not a Will Ferrell fan. Except for Stranger Than Fiction :drool:

Comedy wise, I still think that Ferrell's my favorite, but he and I are definitely in the middle of a dark and murky time. I think I should watch Stranger Than Fiction again, that should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom