The 'Desert Island Game Running Diary' Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ending with a fairly epic song is a good way to strategically make the list stick with a person :wink:

Ending with a fairly epic song is a good way to strategically make the list stick with a person :wink:

:up: There you go.

Everyone not named Axver loves Train In Vain, so I'm pretty confident that my list's closing sequence will stick with most everyone.

I will admit that Layla had zero to do with the concept, BTW. It just sounded awesome. I hope you can use it to better effect than you did.

Since you haven't mentioned the list in a while, I assume you're enjoying it. Aladdin Sane is so fucking good.

Hey, if it's used for the intentions I have, I think it's a fitting closer.

Yep. I'm on the Dismemberment Plan track now, pretty damn catchy stuff. I love how "Aladdin Sane" slinks along like a sexy jungle cat, then just kicks ass with a piano solo. Read that last clause again... a piano solo.

Hey, if it's used for the intentions I have, I think it's a fitting closer.

Yep. I'm on the Dismemberment Plan track now, pretty damn catchy stuff. I love how "Aladdin Sane" slinks along like a sexy jungle cat, then just kicks ass with a piano solo. Read that last clause again... a piano solo.

The intention is to kick ass, right?

Be honest with me now: should I switch Teardrop and Someone Great around? Either way has its pros and cons. The reason it's the way it is right now is because it improves the pacing and makes that section feel longer, not necessarily because the segues are better.

The intention is to kick ass, right?

Be honest with me now: should I switch Teardrop and Someone Great around? Either way has its pros and cons. The reason it's the way it is right now is because it improves the pacing and makes that section feel longer, not necessarily because the segues are better.

Or that it may be the last list I submit to a DI tourney. Hopefully that reason, too.

Teardrop and Someone Great both have the same effect on pacing, I think, so just keep them where they are for the cool segues.

The comic book reference ("Doctor Strange can change his size") in Cymbaline cracks me up.

Or that it may be the last list I submit to a DI tourney. Hopefully that reason, too.

Teardrop and Someone Great both have the same effect on pacing, I think, so just keep them where they are for the cool segues.

I may stop after The Funk gets sent in. Axver may not let me join again after that anyway.

Will do. That, along with the upcoming segue from Cymbaline to Muzzle Of Bees are the only things I've really thought about. The rest fell into place quite easily.

I may stop after The Funk gets sent in. Axver may not let me join again after that anyway.

Will do. That, along with the upcoming segue from Cymbaline to Muzzle Of Bees are the only things I've really thought about. The rest fell into place quite easily.

Well yeah, it's against the rules. I won't allow it.

Nice. After this is done, I'll post my final thoughts and flash a screencap of the in-development list, tentatively titled Let It Loose.

The song just got a lot less haunting for me. Thanks a lot. :angry: :lol:

Doctor Strange is a motherfucking wizard superhero. I can't wait for the now competent Marvel Studios to put that bad boy out:

strange_right.jpg

Well yeah, it's against the rules. I won't allow it.

Nice. After this is done, I'll post my final thoughts and flash a screencap of the in-development list, tentatively titled Let It Loose.

You're WRONG.

Nice title. Very nice. Is the list really in development, or is it done?

You're WRONG.

Nice title. Very nice. Is the list really in development, or is it done?

Thanks, it's a reference to the Stones song on the list. I call anything that I haven't listened to once all the way through on my iPod "in development." Otherwise, it's pretty close to done. The only U2 track is a Passengers track though, that may change.

Thanks, it's a reference to the Stones song on the list. I call anything that I haven't listened to once all the way through on my iPod "in development." Otherwise, it's pretty close to done. The only U2 track is a Passengers track though, that may change.

I think Passengers material is more common in these tournaments than U2 material. It's crazy, but appropriate, as it naturally flow*s.

*You know the drill

I think Passengers material is more common in these tournaments than U2 material. It's crazy, but appropriate, as it naturally flow*s.

*You know the drill

"Always Forever Now" is so fucking awesome... I don't care if it's in every tourney 4-5 times, it deserves to be there. The last minute of that song may be one of the best things the band has ever recorded in studio.

"Always Forever Now" is so fucking awesome... I don't care if it's in every tourney 4-5 times, it deserves to be there. The last minute of that song may be one of the best things the band has ever recorded in studio.

:wave: *used it on Symphonic album list, still lost to Lemonchick*

OK, the list is over for me. I'd rank mine:

Song enjoyment:

1. DI3
2. This list
3. DI4
4. DI5

Flow:

1. DI4
2. This list
3. DI5
4. DI3

:wave: *used it on Symphonic album list, still lost to Lemonchick*

Ha.

picture1tg6.png

As you can see, I cannibalized the previous DI5 list I had to make it more different than the one I'm going to end up submitting. It rocks the fuck out, has the funk, has its quiet moments, and has a good mix of well-known and slightly obscure, I think.

OK, the list is over for me. I'd rank mine:

Song enjoyment:

1. DI3
2. This list
3. DI4
4. DI5

Flow:

1. DI4
2. This list
3. DI5
4. DI3

We're in agreement with everything here.

This gets a solid A for me. The flow* n' shit was nice, like always, and had some inventive uses throughout. Even if there were 2-3 song sections I wasn't too fond of, you put together an eclectic mix of stuff that is sure to keep attention and have something for everyone to enjoy.

Ha.

picture1tg6.png

As you can see, I cannibalized the previous DI5 list I had to make it more different than the one I'm going to end up submitting. It rocks the fuck out, has the funk, has its quiet moments, and has a good mix of well-known and slightly obscure, I think.

The artists look great, definitely. It does remind me a lot of your first DI5 list, but you know how much I enjoyed that one.

The artists look great, definitely. It does remind me a lot of your first DI5 list, but you know how much I enjoyed that one.

I think it can keep the flow* movin' throughout instead of breaking off into sections like my previous ones. I've gotta fit some Floyd in there somewhere now.

*IDK TDK?

We're in agreement with everything here.

This gets a solid A for me. The flow* n' shit was nice, like always, and had some inventive uses throughout. Even if there were 2-3 song sections I wasn't too fond of, you put together an eclectic mix of stuff that is sure to keep attention and have something for everyone to enjoy.

I think this list barely edges out my DI5 flow-wise. Barely. Both are about as good as I was likely to get them, so I'm pleased. The songs are definitely better here though.

Thanks for the review, LMP. :up: Hopefully when you run through my DI5 again a month from now it can get out of the B territory. You seemed pretty fond of the Ramble On addition.

I think this list barely edges out my DI5 flow-wise. Barely. Both are about as good as I was likely to get them, so I'm pleased. The songs are definitely better here though.

Thanks for the review, LMP. :up: Hopefully when you run through my DI5 again a month from now it can get out of the B territory. You seemed pretty fond of the Ramble On addition.

I give you more credit for this one since it's able to sustain itself throughout the 160 minute frame pretty well, that's not a knock on the DI5 list at all, which I still enjoyed.

No probs. Yeah, hope so, too.

I think it can keep the flow* movin' throughout instead of breaking off into sections like my previous ones. I've gotta fit some Floyd in there somewhere now.

*IDK TDK?

That's what I like to hear. :rockon: The sections bug me, for whatever reason. This one has some obvious "sections", but they don't last any longer than 2-4 songs.

I give you more credit for this one since it's able to sustain itself throughout the 160 minute frame pretty well, that's not a knock on the DI5 list at all, which I still enjoyed.

No probs. Yeah, hope so, too.

The DI5 list is an obvious people-pleasing move. I've told you that several times. :wink:

(Not unlike Axver's DI2)

That's what I like to hear. :rockon: The sections bug me, for whatever reason. This one has some obvious "sections", but they don't last any longer than 2-4 songs.

You know how I feel, sections are cool if they don't just end abruptly, you know? I had to make mine for the DI5 list out of necessity more than anything, than just ran with it with the covers and titles and such.

I like making lists other people can enjoy, but my one concern is always making something I won't tire from listening to myself.

You know how I feel, sections are cool if they don't just end abruptly, you know? I had to make mine for the DI5 list out of necessity more than anything, than just ran with it with the covers and titles and such.

I like making lists other people can enjoy, but my one concern is always making something I won't tire from listening to myself.

If you can get it to flow like Drano, then awesome. You're not necessarily the kind of person I'm criticizing, but there are some who use the sections as a crutch, and that's pretty frustrating, because they sound terrible when you listen to them in an actual playlist.

If you can get it to flow like Drano, then awesome. You're not necessarily the kind of person I'm criticizing, but there are some who use the sections as a crutch, and that's pretty frustrating, because they sound terrible when you listen to them in an actual playlist.

Right, I know what you're referencing, that bothers me a bit, too.

I'm probably making it out to be a bigger deal than it actually is, as art is subjective* after all.

*Though not in a perfect world.

Yeah, definitely. In the end, I just like listening to music I like and finding some new stuff. If the poster's put some thought into it, then that's awesome, but it's not the sole determining factor. The focus on flow n' shit only came out of the fact that the same people, such as myself, needed to find new ways to keep being competitive and heighten the mixtape factor of the whole affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom