The Departed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had been thinking this was a "wait for DVD" flick, but I think I'll have to see this on the big screen.

msnbc.com

"Leonardo DiCaprio says that native Bostonian co-stars of “The Departed” warned him not to botch the Boston accent in the flick. “[Matt] Damon and [Mark] Wahlberg were really stern with me from the beginning to make me understand that the Boston accent had been butchered in cinema in the past and that I would be the laughingstock of their hometown if I didn’t get this accent down,” DiCaprio told Australia’s NW magazine. “So I had to become an authentic Bostonian. The pressure was on and I hung out with a kid from the Boston projects. And on set Matt was always there, putting in his two cents’ worth!”

I thought he did a good job-and he also didn't refuse to wear a Red Sox hat

:up:

Leo nailed the accent, something many, many other actors (Tom Hanks and Diane Lane spring to mind) have failed to do.

Well, I'm British and I'm ashamed to say that the Boston accent sounds very, very similiar (read: identical) to the New York accent to my ears :reject: No offence to any Bostonians here! But then again, I can only detect 5 types of American accent so what do I know? :shrug:

I'm just back here to point out that I thought the soundtrack to this film was really, really, good. :up:

I saw it last night and thought it was brilliant. I thought it was DiCaprio's best performance (definitely Oscar-worthy) and Nicholson proved yet again he is one of the best actors ever. I'm not a big Matt Damon fan but he was good, too. It did not feel like a nearly 3-hour movie.

A couple of questions...

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

Sometimes I space out in movies, even when I love them, and miss even obvious things (I rewind on DVDs constantly, lol). So maybe these are dumb questions but...could the baby have been Costigan's? And what was in that envelope he gave her?

I just saw it. Great movie, really entertaining. And this was after a week of absolute law school HELL and I had no trouble staying up at 1 am to watch it.

Alec Baldwin was hilarious. His assessment of marriage is one of the most fabulous things I've heard lately.

**Spoiler Alert**

I kind off kept expecting for Matt Damon to say he's impotent or something. And I also want to know what was in the envelope. I guess that's for DVD bonus features.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

ah, thanks for bringing that up anitram, i think the baby has to be Leo's -- because i don't think Matt was infertile, he was just having ED issues during this period in time (which might be why she hopped into bed with Leo so quickly), so that makes more sense that he's the father, though you'd wonder if Matt wouldn't have gotten suspicious.

not positive about the envelope -- perhaps information that could have proved that Leo was who he said he was?

*****Spoiler*****

My friends and I came to the conclusion that the information inside the envelope was instructions to contact Dignam (Wahlberg) and let him know that something had happened. It was a backup in case Brown (Anthony Anderson) did not bring Dignam along to the rooftop scene. (Which he didn't so it was a great plan).

****SPOILER*********

I think that the psychiatrist (whatever her name was) was going to tell Di Caprio that she was pregnant, but he said whatever you want to tell me wait 2 weeks.

And I also agree that the envelope he gave her was probably the CDs that he mailed to Matt Damon as well. Which would explain why Wahlberg showed up and killed Damon.

Great movie!!!

Great movie with some great lines.

Quoting Freud, "The Irish are the only race impervious to psychoanalysis."

:lmao:

Back
Top Bottom