The Darkness cover "Street Spirit"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
do you realise that in the grand UK tradition of Slade, Wham!, Wizzard and Cliff Richard that the Darkness will be forever be a favourite at Christmas long after they break up?

Heh, I just found a review of The Darkness' album (@ the Onion AV Club). I quite agree with it.

The limited but cultishly appreciated return of old-school, balls-to-the-wall hard rock has summoned everything from the messianic dance-metal of Andrew W.K. to the more conventional (yet still gleeful) stomp of Supagroup. The extent to which a hint of parody enters the picture varies from purveyor to purveyor: W.K. is dead-serious but self-aware, while Electric Six takes its winking, thrillingly bizarre disco-rock swagger to the level of crowd-pleasing performance art. Then there's The Darkness, an unflinchingly retro English outfit that samples generously from the likes of Queen, AC/DC, and a hundred preening hair-metal bands. On Permission To Land, the reaction The Darkness provokes is tough to pin down: Rarely does a smile so readily morph into a cringe, and vice versa. "Get Your Hands Off My Woman," "I Believe In A Thing Called Love," and "Love On The Rocks With No Ice" firmly entrench themselves in the memory banks, in large part because their massive hooks accompany a battery of flashily androgynous falsetto squeals and showy guitar solos. It's an amusingly ridiculous racket, and it goes down a lot easier because The Darkness is savvy enough to balance it with hefty doses of AC/DC stomp ("Black Shuck") and, on "Friday Night," a sweet trace of dorky high-school nostalgia. The latter song even finds singer Justin Hawkins discarding his usual wails for a more restrained performance that recalls The Cure's Robert Smith, albeit in a charmingly cheerful mood. It's that subtle streak of accomplished mischief that separates The Darkness from the multitude of marginal bar bands that still play this stuff for real.

Dust underneath the mistletoe leaves when you?re not here,
You went away upon boxing day,
Now how the hell am I gonna make it into the New Year.

:lmao:

Diemen said:
Heh, I just found a review of The Darkness' album (@ the Onion AV Club). I quite agree with it.

The limited but cultishly appreciated return of old-school, balls-to-the-wall hard rock has summoned everything from the messianic dance-metal of Andrew W.K. to the more conventional (yet still gleeful) stomp of Supagroup. The extent to which a hint of parody enters the picture varies from purveyor to purveyor: W.K. is dead-serious but self-aware, while Electric Six takes its winking, thrillingly bizarre disco-rock swagger to the level of crowd-pleasing performance art. Then there's The Darkness, an unflinchingly retro English outfit that samples generously from the likes of Queen, AC/DC, and a hundred preening hair-metal bands. On Permission To Land, the reaction The Darkness provokes is tough to pin down: Rarely does a smile so readily morph into a cringe, and vice versa. "Get Your Hands Off My Woman," "I Believe In A Thing Called Love," and "Love On The Rocks With No Ice" firmly entrench themselves in the memory banks, in large part because their massive hooks accompany a battery of flashily androgynous falsetto squeals and showy guitar solos. It's an amusingly ridiculous racket, and it goes down a lot easier because The Darkness is savvy enough to balance it with hefty doses of AC/DC stomp ("Black Shuck") and, on "Friday Night," a sweet trace of dorky high-school nostalgia. The latter song even finds singer Justin Hawkins discarding his usual wails for a more restrained performance that recalls The Cure's Robert Smith, albeit in a charmingly cheerful mood. It's that subtle streak of accomplished mischief that separates The Darkness from the multitude of marginal bar bands that still play this stuff for real.

*cough*andrewwkreference*cough*

really, I had already learned to live with the idea that they would never be able to come close to the brilliance of Permission to Land because that would just be asking too much

then they release the best christmas song ever
I stand in awe

Just picked up Permission to Land and listened to it. If anyone is hesitating, I highly recommend picking this album up. It will make you happy during this cold holiday season. My favorite nonsingle tracks so far are Love Is Only A Feeling and Love On The Rocks With No Ice. They get five stars for song title creativity alone!

:up:

not at the moment, but it's bound to pop up on the playlist soon...i seriously listened to it about 7 times yesterday :uhoh:

I still fall on the floor and start thanking the lord every time this song is played on the radio

Two other people are riding over with me to the restaurant for our company's Christmas lunch. I think I'm gonna make 'em listen to The Darkness as we drive over. :macdevil:

Back
Top Bottom