the complexities of one, the impossibilities of two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
any of you ever been on a blind date?

the idea behind it is certainly quite simple, but should anyone be willing to examine it for what it's really worth, blind dates are anything but simple.

it starts at childhood. kindergarten, perhaps even preschool. being "attracted" to that special someone, or to, perhaps, several people is something instilled at an incredibly young age.

it is in us to love. it's quite beautiful really.

and the older you get, the more complicated it gets. back to kindergarten, it's so obvious to see who likes who. it's sweet. i know there was one girl i was with all the time for the first four years of school. looking back, and if i try to remember, i don't think looks really even meant anything back then. not at all! honestly. it was just a mutual attraction of carachters - ironically perhaps, the most pure of loves.

all at the age of five.

that's about when things begin to change, i guess. people grow older, and either become more comfortable with who they are, or digress and feel themselves dissolve into a state of unapproachable darkness.

by the time they're in junior high, slightly more serious "relationships" evolve, though generally speaking, these are the most shallow of them all. truly everything is based on popularity and looks at this point, and very little on true feelings.

throughout high school it's a bit of the same, though a matured mind slowly but surely begins to register some common sense when looking for the right mate.

and after high school, well, people get desperate.

and that's why they agree to blind dates. they know deep down that while they may still be young, they're certainly older than they were yesterday, and are gonna be even older tommorow.

the thought of children, their own family, and being successful together is perhaps a pipedream simply not within everyone's grasp.

and that, my friends, is a terrible, terrible realisation.

Blind dates can work....

I met my ex on a blind date (so maybe you will say it didn't work b/c he's my ex? I don't know).....didn't think anything would come out of it, but I always like to meet new people so said yes. We ended up being together over two years...

My last relationship was a blind date set up. My sister in law was responsible for setting it up. I guess it worked to a certain extent because I was with the girl I was set up with for 4 years. So it can work, to a certain degree. I know a few couples that met that way also.

Don't really like the idea of them, to be honest.

Sometimes people tend to see you a certain way and then they project that vision of you on other people and convince themselves that you'd be perfect together.

You meet the person and want to puke.

Or something like that anyway.

When I was at University females were offered one free match at a professional matchmaking thingie. The agency had signed more men then women, hence the scouting for females. And the free dates for women. I think this is pretty standard practice actually.

Some of us signed up for a laugh. My "one" free match turned into about 10. lol. Most of them were nice. Only one stood me up, and only one was a weirdo.

Needless to say the one I really liked didn't like me, and the one that adored me I wasn't interested in :sigh:

I was engaged in second grade to a guy named Matt L. He gave me a ring made out of a sparkly pipe cleaner during our Christmas pagent rehersal. He used to call me "Baby Love."
Someone told me he was in prison, so he'll probably come knocking on my door one of these days. "I've been waiting alot of years for you!"

Anyway, I did a match.com date, which is basically a blind date. It was horrible. I would never ever go again, even if beggars can't be choosers. :|

One blind date; were together for three months afterwards.

A few semi-blind dates via the internet dating site - even when you see the picture the real-life person still looks NOTHING like it when you finally meet in the flesh.

lol@ kieran
Ill never help the guy with the broken arm move the sofa into his van!

Beli....id like to hear more about this weirdo ...

carrieluvv said:
Beli....id like to hear more about this weirdo ...

Why? I'm sure Ive long since lost his phone number. :wink:

He was a dull weirdo. He collected Monty Python videos which at face value might indicate he had a sense of humour. He COLLECTED Monty Python videos. I'm sure he didn't understand one single joke. As I was studying accounting at the time he asked me to explain everyline of that "Sailing on the Wide Accountancy" (or whatever its called) skit.

It's just funny, I say. You don't have to have an accounting degree to understand it. It's just funny.

He didn't believe me and kept asking for my interpretation of EVERY FUCKING LINE IN THE SONG :scream:

I'm sure he selected me off the books solely because I was studying accounting. I doubt it was because of my submitted photo. I had been to a "P" party the previous week and had a photo of myself dressed in a home made red pixie outfit. I literally tore the other people out of the photo and attached the remaining photo remnant to my application. hmmm.

Maybe that was the key to why I received so many matches. My best friend at the time was gorgeous, a Sophia Loren look a like, really beautiful. She only recieved 2 matches though. Like I said I went on about 10 dates before I said no more. The agency would continue to phone me every few months for years afterwards. I would seriously recommend a "good" agency to people. Well to women anyway. Men have to pay and the fees are expensive.

I went on a blind date and it was not pleasant. It was with the brother of a girl who I had classes with in my first year of uni. After we went on a second disastrous date (the first was alright), he was really rude to me and made up lots of stories. I couldn't tell his sister that because she was convinced he really liked me. It would have been worse if it had been a brother of a close friend.

None of my blind dates have ever turned into anything long-term. :|

It could be the way my last relationship ended and all of the crap that has happened in my life lately, but I don't have the best attitude toward dating right now. I just don't have the time or the energy.

carrie_luv, darling,

may i request a new username? perhaps "joxan van houssen"?

Lara Mullen said:
I went on a blind date and it was not pleasant. It was with the brother of a girl who I had classes with in my first year of uni. After we went on a second disastrous date (the first was alright), he was really rude to me and made up lots of stories. I couldn't tell his sister that because she was convinced he really liked me. It would have been worse if it had been a brother of a close friend.

was this johnny "bi-polar" rotten?
:lol:

:hug:

Angela Harlem said:

was this johnny "bi-polar" rotten?
:lol:

:hug:

No, the blind date was somenoe else. :laugh:

I actually agreed to go out with johnny bi-polar myself :yikes: In my defence, I had only ever spoken to him a few times before that, once I was really drunk, my friend and I had drank in about half the pubs in Belfast and the last pub we went into he was there and the other times I seen him he was in a club with loud music and I usually had had a few drinks. I see him when I'm out now, I was out with another bloke in December, he seen us and pushed him over at the bar. He ignores me though. :der:

Back
Top Bottom