The Clash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
Hey everyone.
I'm way behind in my music appreciation. About three weeks ago I began listening to the Clash.
I'm addicted...
Please, I know there are Clash fans at interference...can we talk?
I have about a hundred questions that I can't find answers to online or in book form anywhere.
Please help a new Clash fan in Seattle!
Mrs.C

:wave:

i think the sig speaks for itself.

ask all you want. someone will probably know the answer.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw your sig in another thread...that's what gave me the balls to make a thread about the Clash.
So can I pick your brain for Clash info?

I'm a bit slow tonight...
here goes...
Are there any decent Clash websites out there? Decent Books?
What are your favorite Clash songs and why?
Did the Clash tour all over the US or just the east coast?
That will start the questions for now...

as far as websites go: i've never seen much, and i've done a lot of looking. there is www.londonsburning.org which has tons of interviews and articles, but hasn't been updated since oct. 2001.

that site also has a couple book reviews. only book i think i've read would be a really short biography in some series called 'kill your idols'. i disagreed vehemently with pretty much everything they said, and they made a few technical errors that they wouldn't have made if they ever spent any time reading the liner notes to certain albums.

i'm sure they toured more than just the east coast of the u.s. i've never actually seen proof of tour dates or anything, but by the combat rock tour, since they were touring stadiums, i'm pretty sure it's safe to say they didn't just tour on the east coast when they toured the u.s.

favourite clash song? i'll spare you the complete discography (minus the career opportunities on sandinista, red angels of dragnet, and the right profile...) and say that i really can't pick one or 50 favourites.

:)
Hey there...
I think I borrowed that book from the library. I'm the type of person who, when I really like a band, I need to learn everything about them. So it's been a struggle these weeks because there is so little out there. I wish there were books on the Clash like there are books on U2...A concert documentary would be good.
I found a book of just pictures of the band, and I think I've learned more just looking at that book.
Is it really Paul Simonon singing on "Guns of Brixton"? Did he really write that too? Did he sing on any other songs?
*Naive fan question*
I notice on my liner notes to the CD I own that Joe Strummer and Mick Jones are both listed as vocals...well,(remember I'm a new fan here), who sings which song? Is Joe the main vocalist for most of the songs? How does that work?

go to the video store and rent 'westway to the world'. or go buy it, even better idea.

'rude boy', also, but that would be harder to find.

yes, paul simmonon sings 'guns of brixton'. excellent song. he did write that, and he did sing it. i think there was one other on sandinista that he sang and wrote. if i had the album wit me i'd be able to tell you what it was.

don't know what the skinhead thing is about....

what cd liner notes are you refering to? joe sings stuff like safe european home, rudie can't fail, clash city rockers, spanish bombs, while mick sings stay free, protex blue, and lost in the supermarket....that might give you a general idea. strummer sang more songs.

Awesome info, thanks!
The album I have..."The Story of the Clash, vol 1"
It just lists both Joe and Mick as vocals on the back, but as I look at it now, it say Mick "guitars and vocals" and Joe "vocals and guitar"
I told you I was slow tonight. :huh:
I bought the live album today and the "Essential Clash DVD"(which I plan on watching when my roommate goes to bed).
I'm having a hard time with this album because it's not chronological, it's all mixed up.
I bought it because it looked like a good mix of their music, but now I think I need the studio albums.
I'm addicted to "Train in Vain"...I've been listening to it way too much.
I think I have to leave the computer now, it's in my roommates' room and she's wanting to go to bed.
I'm sure I'll come up with more questions overnight.
Thanks again.
Mrs.C

self-titled album:
-Police & Thieves (us and uk version)--sung by joe strummer
-White Riot (us and uk version)--sung by joe strummer
-Clash City Rockers (us version only)--sung by joe strummer
-Career Opportunities (both versions)--strummer vocals
-I Fought The Law (us version only)--strummer vocals
-(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais (us version only)--strummer vocals
-London's Burning (both versions)--strummer vocals
-Janie Jones (both versions)--strummer vocals
-Complete Control (us version only)--strummer vocals (with much jones vocals in the background..C-O-N CONTROL)

Give 'Em Enough Rope:
-English Civil War --strummer vocals
-Safe European Home--strummer vocals
-Stay Free --jones vocals
-Tommy Gun --strummer vocals

London Calling:
-London Calling --strummer vocals
-Spanish Bombs --strummer vocals
-Clampdown --strummer vocals
-Train In Vain --jones vocals
-Guns Of Brixton --simmonon vocals
-Lost in the Supermarket--jones vocals

Sandinista!:
-The Magnificent Seven --strummer vocals
-Somebody Got Murdered --jones vocals

Combat Rock:
-Rock The Casbah --strummer vocals
-Should I Stay Or Should I Go? --jones vocals
-Straight To Hell --strummer vocals

Cost of Living e.p, or some other compilations, or the Clash on Broadway box set, or a non-album b-side:
-Armageddon Time (on the studio version, around 2:57, this record store guy kosmo vinyl tells them they've been playing too long, and joe yells at him 'don't push us when we're hot!'...apparently the guy had this theory that all songs shouldn't be over a certain amount of time)--strummer vocals
-Bank Robber (CBS originally didn't want them releaseing it because they claimed it sounded like every david bowie song backwards. they released it as a b-side instead)--strummer vocals
-This Is Radio Clash
-Capital Radio (i'm assuming it's version #1. i don't know, the track lising i looked up didn't tell me. 2 is better. it's on super black market clash, not sure if it's anywhere else. it's great.)

what?? no 'garageland'???? shameful. in fact, i am hateful*.

p.s. i can be stupid. i called 'red angel dragnet' the red angels of dragnet...i thought that sounded funny...i don't listen to it much, if you can't tell...so, i may have made a mistake or two above. info pulled from the top of my head. mofo, yertle, lady lemon, HOS, anyone else, please correct me (i'm sure you will). commentary on bankrobber and armmagideon time came from the box set liner notes, and i don't think the 2:57 time is comepletely accurate.

*stupid clash reference #1

Last edited:
it's fairly easy to tell the difference between Joe and Mick after a while...Joe's the growlier one, while Mick has the much clearer voice. rule of thumb - if you have no idea what's being said, it's moer than likely Joe Strummer on vocals.

a shitload of clash threads...but it doesn't look like sh'es a premium member

police on my back is a cover. and i forget who did the original. the equals?no clue. and yertle is right, it's relly easy to tell the diffference between who's singing.

i did read something while joe was still alive where they'd said that they weren't going to play at the inductions anyway

I read that they were considering playing, and that was after Mick joined Joe on stage last fall.

But I guess there is no point discussing it. It's not gonna happen now...

i went home to do some laundry and found the combat rock sleeve lying under a pile of my sister's books and clothes and stuff.

all i can say is thank god it was just the sleeve :mad:

*bump*

:heart: Clash :heart:

Does anyone know what's being spoken at the beginning of Clampdown?? I've been trying to figure it out forever... maybe I'm just dumb :der:

oooh!!

i knew...

let me see if i can find the link again

someone's gonna merge these threads, i can feel it. :hmm:

:der: i forgot to look :reject:

the thing is, i think it was on a board i used to post at, and the thread was deleted...

the kingdom's been ransacked they can't take back...something or other.

i'll work on finding it. it's got to be out there somewhere.

alright, so yesterday/today is just one big day full of stupidity for me

i just realized i've been to that site that the person on the board got it from. not since high school, but STILL. i've been to that site.

i am a dork. in high school my bus got to school 15 mnutes early, and i went to the library and read clash stuff online. this was 12th grade, we didn't get there that early the other years cos we had a different bus driver who drove like an old lady.

now i must listen to the clash.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom