The Charlatans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeman

Refugee
I just got a couple of live shows from these dudes and am totally hooked (again)! what a fantastic run they've had. i can't think of another band that has continued to plug away, putting out record after record, each one building on the acievement of the prior release. they keep getting better and better. their early stuff was great - if you told me in 1991 that they'd release 8 albums, each getting incrementally better with no signs of stopping, i'd have thought you were crazy. remember when they were accused of being Stone Roses ripoffs? don't get me wrong, i love the stone roses debut - it's perfect, but where are they now? favorite tunes right now:

tellin' stories
impossible
high up your tree
try again today
just lookin
sproston green
north country boy
you're a big girl now
the blind stagger
toothache live is kicking my ass right now.
rock on.

I have their first three albums, but I lost track of them after that. I love Up to Our Hips, but I remember seeing some video a few years later that I thought was crap, so I just dropped them. I should probably give their later stuff a listen, since Weirdo was a bad choice for a single too. I reluctantly gave that second album a listen only a few years ago, well after Up to Our Hips, and thought it was good also.

Are they still performing any of the stuff from Up to Our Hips live? That whole album swings with soul.

agent orange -
you should totally check them out now. their last few albums have been insane - really developed into a class rock band. up to our hips was the beginning of their steep growth curve - 'the charlatans' is great, 'tellin' stories' is essential. 'us and us only' rocks with a dylanesque 'highway 61' vibe. their latest 'up at the lake' is like a greatest hits - tunes sound like songs from every phase of their career. it's all over the place, and GOOD.

brau, my brother - here's the setlist:
1. up at the lake
2. tellin' stories
3. feel the pressure
4. north country boy
5. love is the key
6. the only one i know
7. try again today
8. how high
9. impossible
10. one to another
11. just when you're thinking things over
12. sproston green

includes an interview. it was recorded at the isle of wight festival, 2004 - digital radio broadcast.
sweet:drool:

Back
Top Bottom