The Cat Empire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
Anyone outside Oz heard these guys? They're apparently from here even though they have this Blur element to them and the single "Hello" sounds like he is whacking on a fake Mexican accent or something.
They're catchy and totally throw-away and probably something no one would admit to liking so if you hear them and cringe, pretend I never wrote this ok?

But does anyone have a clue where I can download this song "hello"?
:wink:

:madspit:

mock me if you will.

you would love this for its sheer hateability.

where's cass? she would know what the heck i'm talking about :wink:

They've been described as a few different things, not all good lol. Its not actually pop, nor hiphop, something different. I cant quite describe it. They're slowly getting more airplay here which I predict will turn into a flood too soon and ruin something potentially interesting.
JJJ play them apparently, dunno if you listen to them online at all.

here I is:D :wave: ( been a bit hectic here lately)

Cat Empire- Yes I've been hearing them quite a bit, well the "hello" song anyway. They played at this year's Blues and Roots fest at Byron( I didn't go:(..) They impressed all and sundry at that event. Our local ABC radio station talks them up. They are a big band I think, lotsa brass and percussion . Something that has caught media attention is their age. They are young, all well under 20 I think .
I dunno , I was listening to that song the other day...at the time, the singer's attempt at an accent was bugging me....it was just a moment, it passed.
They sound like a good time crew and would be good to hear live.
Their name cracks me up...my bro-in-law once started a "chook empire"( he ended up with a "citrus empire" instead).

talking of accents, my hub and the boys were relating a recent "skithouse" skit to me. They did a send up of of Aussie women falling for guys with Irish accents. Did you see it?

I'm liking "The Beautiful Girls" another new Aussie band and "Dallas Crane". Paul Kelly has a new single out too. I heard it on the radio last night :heart:
Oi Oi Oi
:)

AcrobatMan, I think it was either you or Bunbury who posted something for an mp3 of theirs. I downloaded it and liked it. I cant remember which song it was though now. Maybe something to do with pineapples? Or was that another band lol...:hmm:

Thanks Cass! I knew you would have heard of them :D I think I read somewhere that there were 6 members in the band or something but I had no idea they were that young. Quite impressive. I'd try Kazaa for this song but I've heard too many people get viruses off their so I will have to wait.
Wait for what I dont know...Perhaps just getting sick of hearing it on the wireless lol.

Thanks kids :D

I was just checking the RAGE playlist,
seems we are both in luck

5:30am
Hiccups - DARREN HANLON Independent
Won't You Come Around - PAUL KELLY EMI :heart:
Sweet Honey - SLIGHTLY STOOPID Collision
Hello - THE CAT EMPIRE Virgin :applaud:

also
11:00am
Brown Eyed Blues - BEN HARPER Virgin :drool:

actually the middle of the night is around 8:30, assuming you take night from 6pm to 12 midnight, which isn't actually a correct term considering what comes after 'midnight' is morning.

I thought Natalie would have you up and at 'em by then. Now daylight saving is with us I wake up at 5 am so it suits me. Rise and shine:) I just watched their clip ...as I said, goodtime...the old guy in the leopard skin cowboy hat reminded me of Joe O'Herlihy( I usually spell Joe's name incorrectly...sorry).

But more luck if you want to hear some more "Cat Empire"
November is JJJ "Australian Music Month" and starting yesterday, this week's feature album is Cat Empire's eponymus album ( might have spelt that wrong too..self-titled....

oh go on cass, use one of those quick reply smilies.:wink: This place has more features than a weekend Sun Herald:huh: :eyebrow: ..)
but yes, buy the album...tax return? geez, ours is long spent. I'm going to be a gas plumber when I grow up. $300 to have the stove and fridge moved about a metre:faint: it's skilled work , so fair enough...although,$300:sad:..)

Hello Hello:D
bye:wave:

I like the drums in that "Hello" song

the vocals make me laugh

the trumpet kinda makes me cringe though

all in all I would still rate it very enjoyable

:hmm:

out of bordedom I listenen to jjj this afternoon
very enjoyable music around midnight over there :up:

HEY ANGIE! I finally heard that Cat Empire song! I was listening to jjj tonight and they played it. It's pretty catchy. K says some of their other songs are quite good as well. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know....

lol U2kitten, I dont know where the cat name comes from, they dont seem to have anything to do with them musically. Thye must be cat lovers though :wink:

I'm glad you heard them and liked them Cal. I was figuring you and K would also have heard them. Pretty funky stuff. I got their whole album now and its darn good stuff. I hope they dont disappear. I think only 2 radio stations are playing them at the moment, JJJ being one. I'm actually wnodering about the chick who manages them as EMI haven't released and dont seem to be intending to release Hello as a single and the album when I bought it wasn't looking to hit the charts. That combined with little airplay is potential doom.
Glad you liked though!

Angela, i brought home every free music magazine that wasn't nailed down, home with me from Brizvegas. One of them has a Cat Empire article, can't put my hand to it right now....I'll get back to you when I next have computer time.
They are on the list for the Homebake Festival in Sydeney, December 4..maybe? You should take salome if he's still in toen then...a true Oz Experience.
There is a picture of the crowd at Livid on one of the mags I picked up...it is making me nervous about going to the Big Day Out. I don't like the mosh.

The little bit of Cat Empire I have seen/heard, I'll think they'll make it. The frontman has that special something.

brb
:)

back:)

well the article wasn't that informative, but I just did a search and found their web site. You have probably been there already. I like it, the little bouncing cat's eye man and the music...very funky fun.
I saw my "daughter-in-law" yesterday and as often happens our conversation turned to music. She's been having a rough time at work lately and she just went into rave mode about this song that comes on the radio and cheers her right up.."Hello Hello" by The Cat Empire:up:

WHOA!! I love cats and once had a very special kitty named Triple J!! This isn't really all that weird or spectacular but for some reason it makes me really want to check the band out! Yeah!!

*dowloads*

EDIT: I'm listening to the song right, now. haha, it's kinda funny! The guy sounds like the person who sings the "I Get Knocked Down" song (another feelgood, funtime song)! Nice rhythm and funky tune. I give it...wait for it...two PAWS up! hahahahaha :p

*listens to song again*

Last edited:
cats and dolphins

:lmao:
"two paws"
:up::up:

well i think it's rather spectaculairily ( is that a word?:eyebrow:..) coincidental. How did your specail kitty get the name Triple J?
WHOA!!
hang on........
I once had a special kitty and her name was Rebecca
and there used to be an australian band called Rebecca's Empire..

:eyebrow: the thick plottens
**cue music from twilight zone**

dang, I just created myself a new avatar and I got it wrong...again:banghead:it looks like "U...?"
It's that time of year and i pinched it from the NC Dolphin Awards site..some of the students have songs nominated this year, they have won awards in the past:up: :up: :up: that's 3 paws worth.

Attachments

• dolphinaward03.jpg
    dolphinaward03.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 19
LoL! You're a funny person :p

They're really was an Australian band named Rebecca's Empire? AND you had a cat named Rebecca? Now, "coincidently" there is a band named the CAT Empire and the DJ, who happens to go on and on and on about the band, is named JJJ, who, by the way, just so happens to be the name of one of my older cats?? Okay, things are going WAY beyond that of the "norm." There must be something that the government is hiding...but what? Could it be...perhaps...that just *maybe* they are developing a super-intelligent breed of cat to take over the entire continent of AUSTRALIA and turn all of the residents into evil, zombie ferrets??!?
**cue music from "Pretty Woman"**

SAY, I like that icon! How big, exactly, could you make one of those? Could you, say, use it as a wallpaper? Or, perhaps, as an AIM icon? haha, it does look a wee bit like a question mark. But I knew what it was :wink: I really don't think there are any icons or wallpapers involving both U2 and dolphins. Hmm...another conspiracy? Probably not, but it's kinda cool knowing you made the *only* one (pretty cool lookin', too)!

EDIT: Triple J stood for Junior Junior Junior. I had a cat named Junior...but it ran away :)sad: ). Then I had gotten another cat, and then named her Junior, but it didn't feel right naming this new cat Junior, 'cause it'd then feel like the other one never existed (it made sense when I was 11). So I called him Junior Junior (Double J for short). THEN, there came another cat I was quite fond of - spunky, friendly, and all the other good attributes your favorite kitty would have (think Rebecca...but a man!). Anyhoo, this cat quickly became my favorite, and I dubbed thee Junior Junior Junior, or, more commonly referred to as, Triple J :)

EDIT #2: heheheheh, "the thick plottens" :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom