The Canucks Vs. The Wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just a good solid rival you will be.

wait until bear and Michael get here. :macdevil:

In all fairness, I don't think this series is going to be all that fun to play or watch. The Wild are a tight checking, dangerous team. They proved it by beating the powerhouse known as the Colorado Avalanche. The Canucks won't be able to beat them with their offensive game. It's going to take a very gritty effort, perhaps even more so than how they played against the Blues (because the Blues were willing to open it up at least), so don't expect it to be over quickly. Every game is going to be *tight*. If Vancouver wins this in 5 or 6 games, it will be a very gutsy and gritty effort by the boys out West. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes 7 games, but I don't think it will. I have a feeling Vancouver have learned their lessons by now. Well, hopefully anyway. They sure like doing things the hard way.

What it really comes down to is this: The Wild will make you earn every win. So long as the Canucks earn them, they will get them. They have too much talent not to. I don't think the Avalanche earned the series, which is why they didn't win. They didn't pay the price. The Avalanche could have won if they put in *all* the effort necessary, going that extra mile as they say. The Canucks must learn from the Avs' mistake in order to win.

that was a serious post.

and i agree 100%. these will be very tight games, i'm truly looking forward to them.

:mad: angel, did you call your canuck supporters when i told you i was going to sleep? CHEATER!

Bwahaha! You took that post seriously? It was a parody of Nick Kyprios (an an ex player turned analyst). My real prediction: Canucks will sweep. ;)

I'm joking. It will be a tough series, and I was being serious. :)

And Angel - yes, I'm excited!! I think the Canucks have a legitimate shot at winning the West this year. The Wild, Dallas or Anaheim would all be tough, but are all beatable in my opinion. If Anaheim beats Dallas, then I think they would be a huge force to be reckoned with. I would not want to be playing them! But I wouldn't want to be playing Vancouver either. When they have it together, they are scary. Just look at last night's game for what I mean.

no doubt i want anaheim out.

wouldn't it be great if wild played the stars?

we could show texas JUST how much a grudge we're holding. :D

:angry: No. That would suck. Because it will be great to see Vancouver play the stars.

*Kicks Lilly out of thread.

I thought you were sleeping. :mad:

I'm not much for hockey but I like to jump on the bandwagon when any Minnesota team does well.

So I say GO WILD!!!!!!!!!! :D

ok...that's the last you'll see of me in a hockey thread....
:wave: bye-bye

Do you really want to know why the Wild are doing so well this year? Well, I'm gonna tell you anyway. It's because we had season tickets for the first 2 seasons and we don't have them this year. :mad: I want credit!

I am very proud of our scrappy little team and I'm still in shock from the exciting win last night. Manny was fantastic in the net and hopefully he's on a roll.

Canucks are a good team and should win the series, but the Wild have something to prove. Don't take them for granted. Sometimes the team who wants it the most wins.

my guess?

vancouver in two.

the rest will be deemed unnecessary after mynasotia turns hockey into a travesty.

i go all out. lilly, i will not be nice, respectful or even decent here. i hate you now, and i will until mynasotia has died a painful death at the hands of the canucks.

:down: lilly :down:

If Van plays as well as they did last night, you might be right Zoom. But that's a big *IF*. Of course, I hope and believe they will. You know what else? The Canucks love to go on winning streaks. They went on a 10 game winning streak earlier this year, and then a 14 game undefeated streak. Hopefully, now with 3 straight wins, they're back on one of their "streaks". Hopefully this won lasts 12 more games. :wink:

Last edited:
Lillybelle, Yes you can certainly call me and we can celebrate the Wild's winning streak. (I hope, I hope.) We'll be in Cheeseland though, so call my cell, not my home. :up: Or maybe I'll call you. It's gonna be a late game for us in the Central time zone. :slant:

Bwahaha! This is hilarious. Brian Burke (the GM of the Canucks) has called the Wild not a hockey team, but a cult!! So true! :laugh: :lmao:

http://faceoff.com/home/news/story.html?f=/news/20030423/hockey-17774023.html

Facing Wild in NHL playoffs is like playing against a cult, says Burke

JIM MORRIS

VANCOUVER (CP) - There's something scary about facing the Minnesota Wild in the second round of the NHL playoffs, says Vancouver Canuck general manager Brian Burke.

"It's not a hockey team, it's a cult," Burke said Wednesday. "They have totally bought into their system. They work hard and have excellent team speed. It's going to be a very, very difficult opponent for us." The Canucks and Wild open their best-of-seven Western Conference semifinal Friday in Vancouver (10:30 p.m. EST, CBC). Game 2 will be played Sunday. The series shifts to the Xcel Energy Centre in St. Paul for games Tuesday and next Friday.

Vancouver had a 2-2-1 record against the Wild during the regular season but Minnesota had two wins and a tie in their last three meetings.

The Canucks finished the regular season with a franchise-high 104 points and were the league's second-highest scoring team.

The Wild, making their first playoff appearance in just their third year of existence, used a grinding defence to win 42 games, three less than the Canucks, and allow just 178 goals, second lowest in the Western Conference.

"It's going to be physical and it's going to be hard-fought games," said Canuck captain Markus Naslund. "We had a good rivalry going with them throughout the regular season and obviously now there's bigger stakes."

Burke said there's nothing fancy about the system coach Jacques Lemaire employees. It just produces results.

"They bang, they work," said Burke."They are a lunch pail, blue-collar, no-name team. You have to be patient because they are patient. They are like a python. They wait for you to make a mistake and move very quickly.

"Their goaltending has been strong. The quality chances they make their goaltender face have been very small in number. If we generate quality chances we should have some success."

The Canucks advanced to the second round of the playoffs by overcoming a 3-1 series deficit and beating the St. Louis Blues 4-1 in Tuesday's Game 7.

The Wild also came back for a 3-1 deficit , winning twice in Denver to upset the heavily favoured Colorado Avalanche. Andrew Brunette scored in overtime in Tuesday's deciding game.

Vancouver centre Trevor Linden said he wasn't surprised the Wild beat Colorado.

'Minnesota is so well coached and they're tough to play," he said.

"And they're tough to play in their building."

The dollar-conscious Burke couldn't resist the opportunity to gloat over the fact Detroit (beaten in four games by Anaheim), Colorado and St. Louis - all teams with huge payrolls - were eliminated from the playoffs by low-budget squads.

The Blues have a payroll of about $60 million US, compared to Vancouver's $35 million US.

"I think it's a very important and valuable reminder that you can beat teams with bigger payrolls if you do things in a certain way," he said.

"I look at what Minnesota has done, I look at what we've done and it's an important message. Look what Ottawa has done. If you do it right you can still beat those big payroll teams."

Burke admitted losing high-profile teams like Detroit and Colorado could lower U.S. TV ratings.

"I'm sure from a TV-rating standpoint they (the NHL) would rather have some other teams in there," he said.

"But from a standpoint of doing things soundly from an economic basis, this isn't a bad thing for our league."

I want to welcome ARW9797 and Lily to the bandwagon here! :mad: Where were you guys in the first round when I had to take on Avsgirl41 by myself? :mad:

I love the CULT! And as a member of the Wild payroll (no joke - I have a nice part time gig selling game tickets that gets me into the games and free tickets to Who concerts for other Interferencers) I know we can't look ahead, but lets just imagine for a moment a series between Dallas and THE STATE OF HOCKEY! :drool: Talk about JUSTIFIED!

Mr. Griffiths is a very good poster - I agree very much. This will not be the most exciting hockey series ever seen! Zoomerang96 isn't so much. I will also give the :up: to Angel - but only because we have hung out before.

I am excited (despite the fact I have to watch from Illinois :( - and I can't fly Deathbear in for a game like we talked about earlier. :(

Okay - too much excitement - yes, thank you Lemon Pie Firend for giving up seasons so the Wild can win.

GO WILD!:wave: :wave:
gab101_7034.jpg

Back
Top Bottom