The Canucks Vs. The Wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
good game. the canucks were patient as hrudey (imagine that, he said something that made sense) said, and deserved to win this game. it just goes to show how important special teams are, as well getting the first goal.

were in real good shape right now. :up:

Another tight game. Man, I miss the Blues series! These games are so much more nerve racking simply because you know the Canucks play so much better with a wide open style of play. Consequently, you don't have a good feel for the outcome. Each game can go either way. At least against a team like The Blues, you always felt the Canucks could do some potential damage on the score sheet, but with the Wild, anything can happen. Well fought game though for both teams.

Zoomerang96 said:
good game. the canucks were patient as hrudey (imagine that, he said something that made sense) said, and deserved to win this game. it just goes to show how important special teams are, as well getting the first goal.

were in real good shape right now. :up:
You don't like Hrudey's commentary? I think he's actually really good as far as technical commentary goes. He catches pretty much everything.

Re: the game, the Canucks were lucky. They kept giving away their leads time and time again, and kept taking ridiculous penalties (though some of them were bad calls I must admit). Bertuzzi, however, takes the cake. What is he thinking??? He high stick the guy in the 3rd period with his team up by a goal?? What an idiot. I'm sorry, but he leads the entire NHL in penalties (54 I think?). That's just not somthing you do to help your team. Hopefully Crawford sets him straight.

So it turns out Bertuzzi has a rough case of the flu, which is why he only played 15 minutes instead of the usual 30 tonight. Also explains his lackluster energy. There's whispers there are other players who are suffering the symptoms as well. I guess you can't quite get rid of the Blues afterall ;) Good thing they've got two days off between games so he can recuperate!

Are you happy now Grifdawg?? :sexywink: :lol:

Minnesota is fined but not Canucks

Published April 30, 2003 - Star Tribune

The Wild was fined $25,000 Tuesday for its actions at the end of Game 2, but league officials decided not to punish the Vancouver Canucks for their role in the fray.

NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell reviewed videotape of the incident the past two days and issued the fine. Wild General Manager Doug Risebrough said he felt the punishment was warranted.

"Guys were pushing and shoving, and I think the league was disappointed they didn't leave the ice," Risebrough said. "The league likes to see players congratulate the goalie and then go off the ice, and that didn't happen."

Instead, the players locked horns after the Wild won 3-2 at GM Place. Willie Mitchell received a game misconduct (ejection) penalty when he returned to the ice after being sent to the dressing room for a roughing penalty with seven seconds left.

Wild tough guys Brad Brown and Matt Johnson also were involved in a series of scuffles. Matt Cooke, Todd Bertuzzi and Ed Jovanovski were the Canucks' combatants.

In all, the teams combined for 54 penalty minutes and five misconduct penalties at game's end.

Thx for the present on your day of all days Zoney.
That journalist is clearly on some heavy chemical drugs. I must say... the Canucks are far from boring... but this series as a whole? It's just not doing it for me. Where's this cultlike quality you all speak of when talking about the Wild? I just see a bunch of testosterone hungry men who clearly don't get enough sex.

so the canucks are sick? what have you heard, whos all fighting it?

morrison and naslund looked fine! same with ohlund, i really believe hes the teams third most important player behind nazzy and bert.

no offence clouts...:wink:

Zoomerang96 said:
so the canucks are sick? what have you heard, whos all fighting it?

morrison and naslund looked fine! same with ohlund, i really believe hes the teams third most important player behind nazzy and bert.

no offence clouts...:wink:
Zoom - I haven't actually heard any names besides Bertuzzi's, but on The Score last night (as well as Sportsnet), they did mention Bertuzzi and "possibly others" have the flu. Yes, Mo and Nazzy looked quite good didn't they? Bertuzzi had played only 10 minutes after the first 2 periods, which says a lot though.

You know, your last comment about Clouts scares me, not because I don't agree with you, but only because it's not a good sign that your team's goalie isn't your most important or second most important player. Here, as you've just pointed out, he's not even 3rd most important! Teams rarely win the Cup without their goalie being in the top 2 -- though some teams do *cough*DetroitChrisWasGood*cough*.

I actually believe Cloutier is simply having a tough series against Minnesota because he needs a lot of work to remain in the zone. It's a good experience for him. I've seen him play so well that I know he'll come back and steal games once again. Remember game 7 against the Blues?

Michael Griffiths said:

Zoom - I haven't actually heard any names besides Bertuzzi's, but on The Score last night (as well as Sportsnet), they did mention Bertuzzi and "possibly others" have the flu. Yes, Mo and Nazzy looked quite good didn't they? Bertuzzi had played only 10 minutes after the first 2 periods, which says a lot though.

You know, your last comment about Clouts scares me, not because I don't agree with you, but only because it's not a good sign that your team's goalie isn't your most important or second most important player. Here, as you've just pointed out, he's not even 3rd most important! Teams rarely win the Cup without their goalie being in the top 2 -- though some teams do *cough*DetroitChrisWasGood*cough*.

I actually believe Cloutier is simply having a tough series against Minnesota because he needs a lot of work to remain in the zone. It's a good experience for him. I've seen him play so well that I know he'll come back and steal games once again. Remember game 7 against the Blues?

yes, i agree with everything you said here. but the truth is, he made a few big saves, particularly one near the end of the second period which really helped the canucks stay in the game.

but your right, your goaltender has to be your best player. as far as im concerned hes playing good enough to keep the canucks in it, and you cant really ask for much more.

just two more wins and this brutal series will be over. im sorry, but the wild absolutely kill the game.

theyre still good though, dont get me wrong. :wink:

Hey Zoom, what did you think of pulling Branden Reid off the roster in place of Letowski? I thought it was silly at first, but it worked well considering how defensive Minnesota is. I wish they could figure out a way to have them both in the lineup.

I'm sorry, but I also have to ask what was Crawford thinking when he sent Morrison in to take the faceoff in the defensive zone during an important penalty kill??? Is he nuts? Morrison never wins draws, well at least very few, and to have him take that draw in the defensive zone while killing a penalty is crazy. Crawford makes me wonder sometimes. He's obviously a great coach, but I often find myself questioning his choices (not putting Gretzky on the shootout in Nagano will always take the cake).

Bwahaha! Where's Chizip when you need him? I'm sure you guys can start other hockey threads! Let's start a Flyers/Senators thread! I'm rooting for the Senators, though, as us Canucks/Senators fans have a mutual respect for one another. Both our teams are the most exciting in the NHL :wink: , and both will hopefully meet in the finals! *knock on wood*

zonelistener said:
and this is for Angel....

your new favorite columnist from Minnesota.

Boring works for the canucks, too

point of reference:when he talks about the Thunder...that is our local pro soccer team.
Zonelistener, that's actually a very fair assessment. I pretty much agreed with everything he said. I really hope Vancouver doesn't continue this way if they go on to the next series. This is one thing I hoped they wouldn't have learned from Lemaire: the trap. The reason the Canucks were so exciting this year was because they played with high octane offense all season long. Let's hope they continue with that.

Yes but Michael... while the game might be boring and the Canucks a contributing factor... he is just slightly biased with regards to the Wild. :rolleyes: I have to agree with bear:
just two more wins and this brutal series will be over. im sorry, but the wild absolutely kill the game.
:up:

What I want to say can be summerized in a few points:

1. The Wild are boring.

2. Lemair has everything to do with that.

3. The Canucks are usually exciting, but are forced to play boring hockey if they want to win.

4. They are doing that now (playing boring hockey).

5. I don't blame them, but you can't say they aren't playing that way.

6. I thought the writer wasn't that biased actually. He basically said the Canucks learned how to play as boring as the Wild do. That tells me he's not being very kind to the Wild.

As a journalists, Bear would tell he should not be biased. Columnists are different. He is usually good at pointing out the good and, more importantly, the bad of the hometown team. He recognizes that the Wild are boring - and that Canuckles are playing into the Wild style. Leaving a boring series of fundamental hockey.

All relates back to the cult!

Little history about Minnesota Hockey (not NHL, but what we produce as players): We are known for producing flashy defensmen - something not in Lemaire vocab. It is good to see Lemaire introduce good, solid fundamentals (boring as they may be) to the hockey diehards of the state of (more than) 10,000 frozen lakes (translate:makeshift hockey rinks).

Also remember - for many Minnesotans, the closest NHL franchise was not the beloved North Stars, it was the Winnepeg Jets! Okay, I don't know the point of that, but, yeah.

zonelistener said:

All relates back to the cult!

It is good to see Lemaire introduce good, solid fundamentals...
I thought at first you said "fundamentalists"! :eeklaugh: That would relate back to the whole cult theme quite nicely.

Hey, do you guys get Hockey Night in Canada on Satellite or anything? Kelly Hrudey was talking about St. Paul last night, and he just loves the place. You should know that he was complimenting it to no end last night, saying how much he missed going there since the North Stars left and so forth. He praised the area, the city and the fans for making it such a great hockey environment. Anyway, just thought I'd pass that along.

I wish we got Hockey night in Minnesota!

[brag]In the U.S. - you are not going to find a more knowledgable population than Minnesota and Michigan (when it comes to hockey)! New England and Upstate New York may come close, but Minnesota and Michigan are true hockey hotbeds. If you open your mouth about hockey, and you live/born/raised in one of these two states - you have almost instant credibility.[/brag]

The Saint Paul arena was built for hockey. even the highest seats have great views (and they are only $10 during regular season). It was a shame when we lost the Stars - but the owner sucked.

What is even more amazing than the support for the Wild, is the support for College and High School hockey here. I have never seen a whole state focus on a high school competition like it does during Hockey tourney time. They sell out the Excel Energy Center for four straight days.

And then there are the U of Minnesota Gophers. National champs. As well as every college in Minnesota (UM Duluth - Hull's school, St. Cloud State, etc. etc.).

It truly is the state of hockey!

Wow, Zonelistener, you guys sound even more fanatical than Canadians! Hockey isn't really a big high school sport in Canada (at least it wasn't when I was in high school). That's cool that it is down there. Up here it's organized through the community. Starts at atoms, followed by pee wees, bantoms, midgets, and finally junior. I played bantom for a couple years when I was 14 and 15.

For non-premium members:

Bertuzzi's game plan:
attachment.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom